Afni Collections / unpaid bill

1 MN, United States Review updated:

My mom got a letter on Feb.11, 2017 stating that she owed Sprint $184.22. The Sprint bill is in my name and this sounded phony. I called the number provided and talked to someone named Kim who was more than happy to take a payment for half the amount due. I asked her for the dates of the orginal bill and she said May 2017 to Nov. 2017. When I asked for the phone number attached to the account she said she didn't have that information and we would receive papers validiting the bill in 30 days.

Su

Comments

9th of Aug, 2007
    Afni Collections - Belligerent rep!

I called this company and spoke to Molly who was very pleasant and said the account would be reviewed and someone would call me back in 30 days. Today I called back and spoke to SUE badge # 1033991 who should be a prison matron for her lack of manners. Scolding me and trying to con me into making a payment, for what you may ask? I lived in VA for 6 weeks and 5 years later they send me a bill for $100.

I know this bill was paid and there are no collections on my credit report which I check monthly. If it was real why did it take them 5 years to find me at the address I spent the first 25 years of my life? Plus it was sent in my maiden name which has legally been changed for 4 years!

Someone needs to stop this company from making bogus accusations and giving hard working people agida for debts that are paid.

15th of Oct, 2007
    Afni Collections - Fraudulent Verizon Bill

On 9/14/07 AFNI states that they were given a bill to collect on from Verizon for Home Telephone Service in Florida that has been unpaid since May of 2017. Funny, my Verizon *cell phone* did not get turned off for the 3 years that I had it following this supposedly delinquent debt. This bill was supposedly exactly one month in duration (no more, no less) and was for a total of $80.82 (though their online database driven website said $80.81? Pretty bad record keeping, or perhaps FRAUD?)

The problem with their assertion is that though I did physically stay at the address in question for a brief period, around the time they say I racked up this bill, I was not living in Florida, nor would I have any use or need for a home phone, as I was visiting Florida and staying with an acquaintance of a friend, and still had my North Dakota cell phone with unlimited roaming (no charge!).

They claim that I had Florida residency at this address (false) and that I opened an account with Verizon for a home phone for exactly one month (also false). They then tell me that this will be reported on my credit history if I don't pay within 24 hours. They then said that if I paid them only $50 within the next 24 hours, they would not report this onto my credit, and then proceed to say that they cannot give me any written guarantee of this fact. I began to really get suspicious of this whole thing, as I knew that I hadn't had a home phone number since 1998! Why would I, with a good nation wide free roaming cell phone plan?

I searched the site, saw it's horrific BBB rating, and contacted the FTC. Turns out they have received numerous complaints about this fraudulent collections efforts. Everyone needs to go to www.consumer.gov/idtheft and download "Take Charge: Fighting Back Against Identity Theft". Print out the ID Theft Affidavit, fill it out, get it notarized, and mail it to AFNI certified mail. Also, call the FTC: 1-877-438-4338 (Option 4) and report the "identity theft" which caused the fraudulent account to be opened... AFNI most likely opened the fraudulent account themselves just so they could collect on it!

Don't give in! Don't give them a cent of your money! Fight back for your rights!

• Je
      12th of Dec, 2007

So let me get this straight... this is a scam because the bill is 5 years old, and the name on the bill is the name you used 5 years ago, not the married name you've taken since then?

28th of Dec, 2007

I got a letter from them a few days ago claiming that I owe $360.50 for a land line in Troy, NY. I have never lived in NY, and don't have any friends or family in Troy, NY. I contacted Verizon, and they said that they have no record of me ever owing them money. The Verizon rep told me that Afni is an actual collection agency, but it looks very suspicious to me. They have my Name, address, SSN, and the telephone number for my last land line. I made the mistake of giving them my current number before investigating further. They want my driver license info.

14th of Jan, 2008
    Afni Collections - I think they are fraudulent!
    po box 3427
    Bloomington
    Illinois
    Phone: 866-307-0283
    www.afnicollections.com

I got a phone call from this company telling me that I owed a Bell Atlantic Phone Bill for a landline phone from approx. 7 years ago for $379.32. They told me it was mine because it had my name on the bill and what is funny, I never lived at that address at that time! They sent me a bill recently asking to settle for half the amount. I will not pay this because it's not mine. I believe they are fraudulent from reading all the other reports from people that have dealt with them. I have checked my credit report and its fine! They should be checked for identity theft because they are problem doing this to many people!

• Er
      15th of Jan, 2008

Don't waste your time with them, but do not let the 30-day time limit slide by. Send them a cease-and-desist letter immediately (Google "Bud Hibbs" and pull it from his site, free of charge). Make sure and send it certified mail. They hate them, and you'll never hear from them again.

If you let the 30-day time limit slip, they can put it on your credit report. Don't let them mess with your credit!

• La
      19th of May, 2008
    Afni Collections - Fraud on collections!
    North Carolina

AFNI sent me letters stating that I owed $356 for a Bell South land line. The address given was my parents address and I did not live there at the time I lived in another city two hours away and did not have a land phone and my parents did not open an account in my name. This item is showing on my credit report and it is a fraudulent account. I have disputed and the item has been verified with my parents address. How do I get this off my credit? I am not paying these people for a phone I have never had.

• Ro
      20th of May, 2008
    Afni Collections - Phony bill!
    Concord
    California
    Phone: 866-352-0471

I received a letter just like this except a different amount.

Afni Collections

These rip-offs must be punished for what they are doing! I received a collections notice from Afni, Inc., also Afni Collections stating that I owed Verizon Communications a bill for an outrageous amount of $637.25. I only owe Verizon for my current phone service.

Verizon stated that I only owe for my current bill. I have never at anytime ever owed Verizon this amount. If I ever did, I seriously doubt if I would have any type of phone service available to me today.

3rd of Jun, 2008

I am going through the same thing right now. They have been putting this on my credit report for almost 2 years now. They claim I owe Dish Network $363 for unreturned equipment when DN has closed my account and they actually owe me $.75
    They said it should have never went to collections b/c I never owed it. They did report it to Afni and said they have talked with Afni but when I talk to Afni they deny any kind of discussions with DN and refuse to remove it. So, my question it how do I get this taken off my credit history for the past 2 years? Exactly how many points have been lost on my credit score b/c of a $363 debt that hasn't had a payment for 2 years? I bet it's a lot and these people don't care. They just want some money. I guess the attorney may have to get involved b/c I have been patient and waited way too long.

3rd of Jun, 2008

And furthermore, Afni will only send a bill once every 6 months. What's that all about?

• Va
      27th of Jun, 2008
    Afni Collections - Fraud
    www.afnicollections.com

AFNI has fraudulently attempted to collect a small amount from me saying it was a Verizon bill. I spoke with Verizon and they said I do not owe any money.

DO NOT give AFNI your social security number. They will fraudulently use it. If you do not pay them they will continue to bill you. It is important to file a complaint if you do not owe them money.

Contact your Attorney Generals Office or contact Consumer Protection Division

Office of The Attorney general

500 South Second Street

Springfield, IL 62706

Explain your situation if you disagree or this company has affected your credit .

The Attorney Generals Office is aware of this company.

• Be
      11th of Sep, 2008
    Afni Collections - verizon bill
    verizon
    2293 white cornus lane
    Reston
    Virginia
    Phone: 703-758-8065

Afni collection agency is trying to charge me for a 2017 telephone bill of 293.00 which I already paid three years ago. Verizon confirmed that i have no outstanding debt with them but Afni collection sent be a bill on 09/10/08 of a collection notice. The customer service lady was very rude and inconsiderate.So i would like to dispute the validty of this debt. My Account # 031016376-02 disconnected Telephone #703-860-9040

• Cy
      20th of Oct, 2008

I have no intentions of giving this con-artist of a company any of my personal information or money. I have not received a letter from them. However, I did look at my credit report the other night and found to my surprise that they are trying to attempt to collect 142.00 from a very old Qwest account from 1999, which I had paid off. My report states that the account was opened Sept 2017. Don't have Qwest service in Georgia.

23rd of Oct, 2008

I did nothing after calling and complaining to both AFNI and Verizon and now I'm screwed. The amount was only $37.00 but it was the principal. They just reported it on my credit and my credit score dropped nearly 100 points. Over $37 bucks!! I still wont pay it but it's going to take me a long time to clean this crap up.

• Da
      3rd of Nov, 2008
    Afni Collections - fruad
    PO BOX 3427
    Bloomington
    Illinois
    Phone: 866-684-3221
    afnicollections.com

I received a collection notice stating I owe Qwest $616.00 from years ago. This is the first I have heard of this. I have not done business with this company in almost 7 years. My account is paid in full as of June 2017. What kind of scam are they trying to pull. I have requested specific information which I am still waiting for.These people are real losers.

19th of Nov, 2008

I received a Collections Notice from afni, stating that I owed $948.36, for T-Mobile. I have never been associated with T-Mobile nor do I think, I will ever be interested. I do believe that people will try anything to get money these days. This letter is a formal complaint, via the e-mail that I do not owe T-mobile or afni anything. Please resolve this issues. I tired to contact afni, and was informed that the waiting time on the telephone was 16 minutes because of "high call value", I suspect that many others received the same letter. Please fix this as soon as possible.

• Ol
      28th of Mar, 2009
    Afni Collections - T-Mobile cell phone
    Oluremi Adedokun
    Westbury
    New York

Identitity mismatch :The account of someone else with a similar name and a different social security number was put under my credit. All attempts to reach the co and resolve have been futile

• Us
      13th of Apr, 2009

Afni is a so called scam collection Agency. They get old phone books and call the phone numbers. If it is disconnected or now belongs to some one else they send you a letter telling you that you still owe money on the old phone you had. (Maybe Years ago)
    They just make up the amount. I investigated them last year in Florida with bills they claimed Verizon EX-Customers owed on old phone bills. I talked to Verizon about this, They had no knowledge of this company. I think they are under investigation in several states for fraud.