Afni Collections / Scam and cheating

Two days ago I get a letter from AFNI telling me I have an outstanding Phone Bill from Verizon in Buffalo NY from 2002. I call and tell them I have been in Rochester NY since March of 2000 since I moved here for a new job. The lady on the phone did not care all she kept saying was 'sir I can settle this for you now for about half of what you owe'. I kept telling her this is not my bill I am not paying it.

I called back yesterday and spoke to another lady to get all the information. Very odd it's an address I lived at for just over a year. I moved out in the beginning of March in 2000, verizon has verified I had a phone shut off at that time. Somehow in June of 2000 a new phone when on in my name there, it stayed on until Jan. of 2002. I have proof that I have lived here as I signed a new Lease in May of 2000 (I moved in with a friend for the end of march and all of april while I found my own place) and even have Time Warner sending me proof that I had my phone turned on here in May of 2000. This lady said they 'might take that into consideration'.

My question is what else could they possibly need as proof that Someone else made a mistake here?

Ca

Comments

• Ji
      25th of Feb, 2009

THIS IS A SOLID FEDERAL CLASS-ACTION FOR FDCPA VIOLATIONS. I SAY WE FIGHT BACK! There are some solid California attorneys who can help all of us victimized by AFNI. I say we form a group on this board and submit our case to a reputable lawyer who will hold AFNI accountable for their outrageous collection tactics. Reply to me and maybe we can make a difference.

Check out:

AFNI is a front operation for:
    TRMA
    Telecommunications Risk Management Association, Inc.
    www.trmanet.org
    TRMA was created as an industry forum to bring Telecom Risk Management professionals together to understand and cooperate to prepare its members to deal with the industry's uncollectible issues.

AFNI, Inc
    Mr. Greg Donovan
    Vice President of Finance
    Mr. John Mobley
    Chief Information Officer and Vice President of Information Technology Services

Following is a post submitted on another site:
    AFNI, Inc.
    fka/Anderson Financial Network, Inc.
    404 Brock Drive

Vice President Gregory J. Donovan
    Secretary Gregory J. Donovan
    Treasurer V. Curtis Oyer
    2007-04-13 14:36:17 UTCSpike
    I will not be surprised when I learn that AFNI is changing dates of last activity on credit reports, such is the scam of these bottom feeders. They do this to inflate the net worth of their portfolios, so they can borrow more money to buy junk debts. These are the lowest of the low life's, which collect debts.

CONSUMERS ARE WARNED NOT TO FALL FOR THEIR SCAM OF ATTEMPTING TO COLLECT ON TIME BARRED DEBTS FROM CELLULAR ACCOUNTS THAT DATE BACK TO THE EARLY 90'S. AFNI CANNOT SUE ON THESE DEBTS, THEY CANNOT REPORT THEM ON YOUR CREDIT FILES. AFNI IS HURTING FOR COLLECTION ACCOUNTS & PAID PENNIES FOR THIS WORTHLESS PORTFOLIO, HOPING TO CASH IN. THIS IS A SCAM -- YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY ON THESE OLD, OUTDATED ACCOUNTS!

FAX A LETTER TO AFNI AT

(309)-828-0931

STATING: DISPUTE and VERIFY! (Get a receipt it was received). AFNI must provide copies of the original cellular contract including ID verification and customer signature.

AFNI calls from 12 other numbers:
    866-857-7209 888-276-1908 866-307-0278 800-598-9331 800-598-9349 888-309-2416 888-459-2098 877-298-2251 866-857-7193 877-497-9053 877-497-9050 877-403-0670

• Wo
      28th of Jan, 2010

I just received a notice of "another attempt to collect a debt" saying I owe ATT
    (formerly Bell South) $587.16 but for a payment of $50.00 the debt will be 'paid in full'. There is no original date nor account number. Wouldn't one or both be included on a collection? I don't know, I have never received one before. And furthermore, if there was an oustanding balance of this amount would a collection agency ask for a one time payment of well less than 10%? Seems like a scam to me especially since the last time I dealt with Bell at least 25 years ago in another state more than 1000 miles away.

• Je
      23rd of Sep, 2011

I just got a call from this number. A woman told me that she was trying to collect a debt. She said it was from a Qwest bill from 2008 and that I still owed $100. I told her that I've had Verizon for about 7 years and I have absolutely no accounts in collections. She then said that even though they are a collection agency the debt hadn't actually gone to collections. She then said that I had made three payments two years ago and I still owed $100. I have made NO PAYMENTS to any sort of collection company in the past two years, mainly because I have no accounts in collections. FYI, I haven't had a Qwest account since 2001, which she didn't know about. She also "verified my information" by giving me my last two digits of my SSN and my VERY OLD address, which is my mom's. She said that they had been mailing me notifications for payment for the last two years, which is a lie. Obviously when I receive mail at my mom's house she gives it to me. This has SCAM written all over it. I asked her to send me the payment/account/collections information via mail and I would have my attorney look over it. I believe this to be complete BS. I don't owe any collection company any money, let alone for a Qwest bill that I had over 10 years ago. Sounds like a scam artist(s) fishing for money.