Afni Collection Agency / Rip off and scam!

Afni sent me a supposed collection notice for a supposed phone bill from 13 years ago when I supposedly lived somewhere on the mainland. I have lived in Hawaii for over 15 years, so this was a falsely billed collection. Further, they "demanded" a copy of my current driver's license, Social Security card, and passport picture!!!

Who are these people? Why can't they be stopped?

Comments

• Mi
      26th of Mar, 2007

I live in Australia and I've been here for almost 7 years. I was in the military for 20 years and lived in several different states. AFNI sent a letter to my sisters address in my name saying they were trying to collect a 60.00 debt for AT&T but will accept 30.00. I don't remember using AT&T for about 10-12 years and I know I owe them no money. What do I do about this?

• Di
      2nd of Jul, 2007

Same problem here. Dispute in writing! Basically, if the debt is older than statute of limitation, usually 4-6 years depending on what state you live in, they cannot take any legal action to collect the debt and if the last "missed payment" is more than seven years ago they have no right to report this to your credit report Found great info on this site.

• Je
      18th of Sep, 2007

My fiance recieved something from them and we set up to pay it monthly. Then we were unable to pay them for a few months. They called him and tried to make him pay 200 that day and the rest would be dropped. We couldn't pay it that day so we paid 100 for the next 2 months. They said that, that would satisfy the bill, but they are reporting on his credit report as unpaid balance. I have contacted the company to try to get original documents because he doesn't remember owing a balance when he left cingular. But we were paying this because we are trying to get a house and this is hurting us among other things. But they did tell him that there was a collectors fee. I am trying to find the statement on thier site that says "they do not charge a collectors fee". If anyone can help me with that, that would be great. My email address is j_dunbar2006@yahoo.com

• Cl
      30th of Jan, 2008

Afni has been calling my phone twice a day for months in what must be an attempt to collect a debt from someone who gave them the phone number I have assigned to me. I have told them repeatedly that no one by that name lives at this residence nor has anyone by that name ever lived at this address, and that I have never known anyone by that name. They continue to call. Their number is blocked by caller ID so I cannot give the phone company a number to block through their harassment measures. It seems I am fated to continue receiving their calls despite my innocence in this matter. Is there ntohing that can be done to stop their incessant calling? Does this not constitute harassment? Are they free to harass at will?