Affordable Moving Service Of South Carolina / Bad moving company

1 37 Sandbed Ave.Rembert, SC, United States Review updated:

The first problem was that I was promised a truck "larger than I could rent at U-Haul" by TSI (an agent for Affordable) The truck provided was a 26 footer (U-Haul rents 26 footers). I had to go to U-Haul and rent a second truck for the movers to use. And I had to make a second trip which cost even more in gas and mileage.

Second, the movers could not transport a dresser without having one of the drawers slide out and bang into a wall.

The house I moved to had damage to at least 4 walls, one cabinet and the stair railing.

I contacted TSI and Affordable moving about the problem. TSI refunded half of the agent fee but Affordable Moving asked for expense records documenting the extra costs and then have not responded back. I have called several times trying to get in touch with a manager but have not been granted an audience. I reached my last straw now that the company can't even answer their voice mail.

Va

Comments

• Ka
      12th of Mar, 2008

I am very much in agreement with you Frank. I am having the same problem with the same company. Did you talk to Jermaine/Crystal? That's the two I had contact with. This company has caused me a lot of problems, on top of taking money out of my account for no reason. Maybe together we can find a way of finding them.

12th of Mar, 2008

I AGREE WITH YOU KAETY. I DID SPEAK WITH JERMAINE AMD ANOTHER GIRL.(NOT SURE IF IT WAS CRYSTAL) JERMAINE WAS EXTREMELY NICE DURING THE INITIAL PROCESS, HE OFFERED ME THE BEST RATE POSSIBLE.I WENT FORWARD WITH THIS COMPANY AS MY MOVERS, TO ONLY HAVE THEM NOT SHOW UP FOR THE JOB, CHARGE MY CREDIT CARD, THEN GET DISRESPECTFUL WHEN I HAD QUESTIONS ABOUT MY MONEY. I WAS SCHEDULED TO MEET THE MOVERS BETWEEN 9 AND 10 AM, BY 12:30 PM NOT A SOUL HAD SO MUCH AS GIVEN ME A CALL TO EXPLAIN WHAT WAS GOIN ON. I CALLED SEVERAL TIMES DURING THOSE HOURS AND THERE WAS NO ANSWER. FINALLY AT ABOUT 1:00 I GOT IN TOUCH WITH A YOUNG LADY WHO WAS SUPPOSED TO BE IN DIRECT CONTACT WITH THE MOVERS, AND SHE INFORMED ME THAT THE MOVERS WENT TO ANOTHER JOB BEFORE MINE AND THAT THEY WOULD BE DONE THERE IN ABOUT 2 TO 3 HOURS.THE WHOLE TIME WE'RE ON THE PHONE THE LINE CONTINUES TO GET DISCONNECTED, AND WHEN WE'RE ON THE PHONE I'M HEARING A BABY IN THE BACKGROUND.THE YOUNG LADY GOES ON TO TELL ME THAT SHE HAD TO STEP OUT OF THE OFFICE TO HANDLE A PERSONAL MATTER THAT'S WHY HER PHONE KEEPS HANGING UP ON ME. SHE ALSO INFORMED ME THAT THE OWNER WOULD BE GIVING ME A CALL BECAUSE SHE FELT SO TERRIBLE ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE.(THAT NEVER HAPPENED) SO I WAITED , AND WAITED, AND AT ABOUT 4:30 /5 O'CLOCK NOONE HAD SHOWN UP SO I CALLED BACK AND THERE WAS NO ANSWER FOR SEVERAL CALLS. THEN SOMEONE CALLED ME BACK AND SAID THAT THE MOVERS HAD JUST GASED UP AND THEY WERE ON THEIR WAY TO ME. AT THIS POINT I'M LIVID SO I TELL THEM TO REFUND MY MONEY AND LET'S CALL IT EVEN, THIS YOUNG MAN ASSURED ME THAT MY MONEY WOULD BE REFUNDED.THE NEXT DAY I CALLED AND SPOKE WITH JERMAINE AND HE ASSURED ME THE SAME THING.(THAT MY REFUND WOULD BE COMPLETE BY THAT FRIDAY.)PUTTING OFF THE HOLD UP ON A NEW MACHINE THEY HAD GOTTEN.SO I CALLED BACK YESTERDAY TO FIND OUT WHY MY MONEY HADN'T BEEN REFUNDED AND JERMAINE TELLS ME THAT THEY NEED ME TO FAX THEM A COPY OF MY BANK STATEMENT BEFORE I CAN GET MY MONEY BACK. AFTER I PROCEED TO TELL HIM HOW I FELT ABOUT THAT HE HANGS THE PHONE UP IN MY FACE.I CALLED BACK REPEATEDLY, AND CONTINUED TO GET HUNG UP ON UNTIL JERMAINE PICKED UP AGAIN. I ASKED TO SPEAK WITH A SUPERVISOR AND HE JUST SAT THE PHONE DOWN, SO I CALLED BACK AND YOUNG LADY ANSWERED THEN HUNG UP ON ME.I HAVEN'T BEEN IN TOUCH WITH THIS COMPANY, BUT I HAVE CONTACTED AN ATTORNEY, AND I'VE DISUPTED THE CHARGES WITH MY BANK. I DON'T LIKE FEELING LIKE I'VE BEEN SCAMMED, IT'S NOT A GOOD FEELING!!!!!!!

13th of Mar, 2008

Renee... you are basically describing EXACTLY what I've been going through... word for word... except I did fax them an online accounting whiting out the important information. I actually contacted them today and got a hold of someone by the name of Peggy. She said that it takes a few days to process, but I'm not holding my breath. I also told her that I am contacting an attorney and soon they will take it up with them. My story with my move was that they were supposed to be there at 12:00 on March 1st. Well they call at 12:30 to say they are eating lunch and then they will be there. I lived in Shallotte, NC. Then at 1:00 they called and said they are lost. Well long story short they are in Charlotte, NC (Supposedly) so they say they are not going to be able to make it until the next day but they will get their at 9:00am. Nobody showed until noon, no phone calls nothing. Then they get there (3 guys) and they look around the house like they've never packed something so big, my house is small mind you. So they huff and puff about that, and they huff and puff that they are moving me to another city. Raleigh, NC. Well finally they pack everything, after breaking my mom's mirror that was passed to me after she died, and a lamp. We all get on the road at the same time. I watch them "gas up" and get food. Well then I had to book it, b/c I still had to pay my deposit. It takes three hrs to get from Shallotte to Raleigh... the movers took six and 1/2, claiming they needed gas again, and a western union, etc. I told them to unpack my stuff and go. I didn't sign a thing b/c I wasn't satisfied with anything!! The guys even had the nerve to ask for a tip! Here's a tip! Get where you need to go when you're supposed to be there!!! My money was taken out before all of this happened. They were supposed to take out an $85 deposit, but instead they took out a whole lot more!!! Is your bank helping you at all? That's my next step in this drama!

17th of Mar, 2008

I ACTUALLY SPOKE WITH PEGGY AS WELL AND AT THAT TIME I DID FAX HER THE INFO THAT SHE NEEDED. SHE TOLD ME THAT IT DOES TAKE ABOUT 3 TO 4 DAYS TO PROCESS, AND THAT A LADY NAMED DIANE BRUNSON WOULD BE THE ONE TO HANDLE THE REFUND. THIS WOMEN IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE ACCOUNTING LEAD, OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. MY BANK ACTUALLY IS DOIN THEIR OWN INVESTIGATION INTO THE MATTER, BUT THEY DID TELL ME THAT IF THIS COMPANY DID STARTS TO COOPERATE THAT WOULD BE THE BEST THING. I'M STILL WAITING THOUGH, AND I THINK I STILL HAVE 1 OR 2 BUSINESSS DAYS LEFT. BUT I'LL KEEP YOU POSTED!

18th of Mar, 2008

Renee, well we are in the same position right now. I am also in contact with Diane Brunson who said she would handle my refund. I haven't seen anything yet. My bank is also doing an investigation, so let's both keep each other posted, and our fingers crossed!

27th of Mar, 2008

WELL I'VE GIVEN UP ON GETTIN MY MONEY BACK DIRECTLY FROM THESE PEOPLE. AT THIS POINT THEIR PHONE JUST KEEPS RINGING BUSY!!! I THINK I'M GOING TO LET THE BANK HANDLE IT, BECAUSE THIS COMPANY IS COMPLETLY BOGUS. IT'S BEEN ABOUT 10 DAYS SINCE THEY TOLD ME THAT MY REFUND WAS COMING WITHIN 3 TO 4 DAYS. I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON IN THEIR OFFICE, BUT THEY NEED TO GET IT TOGETHER BEFORE THEY FIND THEMSELVES IN COURT PAYING ALOT MORE MONEY THEN THEY ORIGINALLY TOOK. I DON'T KNOW IF YOU'RE HAVING THE SAME ISSUE AT THIS POINT, BUT GOOD LUCK!!

• Gr
      7th of Apr, 2008

I have another story to add to this saga.

These guys moved me on Good Friday.

They showed up 6 hours late (without a call, I had to track down Jermaine).

The movers were very nice and seemed to be embarrassed by the incompetence of their company.

When they finished loading up my house, they actually had to ask me for gas money, as their corp office did not give them any method of paying for gas (I live outside Atlanta, did they think they were going to make it on one tank?)

After I gassed them up, the delivered my furniture to my new house. They dropped my computer desk, and it shattered on the road. The guys were sincerely apologetic and assured me that their company was insured, to fax over the replacement costs to their corp hq. I did this almost two weeks ago. I have asked repeatedly through emails and phone messages what the next steps are, only to be ignored.

I am simply going to pay the $50 to file a small claims case against them here in Paulding County, maybe they will answer that.

Does anyone have their physical address so that I can complete this portion of my court papers?

• De
      20th of Apr, 2008

If you combined all your stories together into one, that would be about what happened to me on Nov 30, 2007. In short, the estimates for all the damage done to my furniture and walls and hardwood floors comes to almost $2500!! Even after detailed documentation of all the damage, signed by the lead on the moving job, I've had to provide another copy of that list (which was provided to the crew that day), the pictures, the estimates, etc, etc, etc -- every hoop they added week after week, I've jumped through. Over four and a half months later, I'm still trying to get a response from anyone there.

The only phone number I've ever seen has been the toll free number 800-839-6747. Jermaine is a name I'm not familiar with - only Thadeus, Kendrick, and of courswe, Crystal. The movers were CJ, Maurice, and Rodney. I've emailed a lengthy, detailed history of my ecxperience to the attention of Diane and Chad, with no response, naturally.

Because I asked her directly on a recorded call, Crystal informed me that the owners are Diane and Chad - but provided no last name. She also revealed that their home office is actually in Richmond, Virginia.
    Both of these addresses are registered to Affordable Moving & Storage in Richmond:
    70 Cowardin Ave, Richmond - (804) 276-9464
    70 Carnation St, Richmond - (804) 276-9464
    However, I found on the Virginia SOC web site that the only registered company is Affordable Moving Services of Virgina, LLC at 430 Park St in Charlottesville - Registered Agent, Timothy Kelsey. On my paperwork and emails from them, they have 3 different names!!!

For anyone wanting to file for small claims against this company, the problem is in locating them and filing in the proper domain. It would be great if we could arrange the filings to hit at the same time, so the court sees the pattern is repeated. If anyone has more detialed info, please share it. Otherwise, this company will continue to burn others - over and over.

Thanks for the chance to vent to someone who understands the frustration.

Deb Nelson

• Je
      23rd of Apr, 2008

I recently have had similar problems with the same company. I moved in Jan of 08. The mover showed up seven hours late and the truck was not big enough to move us from Pensacola Fl to Jacksonville Fl. It took three trips. The movers damaged the walls, busted my big screen TV and more. They also charge my charge cared over $3, 000 without authorizations. Most of it was refunded. I have yet to hear back about the damages. I plan on filing a small claims as well. I too have the 1-800-839-6747 and 1803-469-3724.

• Lh
      25th of Apr, 2008

I am another angry customer. My experience mirrors everyone who has previously posted. I have worked through my bank to have my money recredited as well. I am quite sure you will not find anyone at either of the addresses which are connected to this scam. If they were so easy to be located then the Bank Investergators whould have found them along time ago. I wish everyone luck with getting your issues resovled but it looks like these folk have packed up and moved elswhere.

L. Hill
    Charlotte, NC

• Mi
      7th of May, 2008

I disagree with you guys. May be yall need to talk to the owner directly. They move me and Crystal gave me a discount for moving late. I receive excellent customer service. Those guys worked hard. Have yall try emailing them?

Mildrew Watson

• Ca
      10th of May, 2008

Just so you know two things. U-Haul measures their trucks from bumper to bumper while movers measure the box only and 26 ' trucks are the largest made for straight jobs.

• Lh
      14th of May, 2008

To Miss Watson, Why would you visit a complaints board on Affordable Movers if you did not have a complaint. Obviously you have not read any of the statements above nor understand what they have said they're experience was.

19th of May, 2008

I posted a long time ago and number one I agree with L Hill on Miss Watson... but on the "complaint" side... I looked up quite a few addresses and additional numbers for "affordable moving" I was told they were based out of SC. Well the numbers in the phone book were bogus -- I got a random company stating that a lot of people call their number looking for Affordable Moving and they are not them. Then the address that is listed is a residential address not a company building...and when I traced that number they said "they didn't know what I was talking about" Not sure if that was true or not... I ended up filing a claim, and my bank said that my case would be resolved by next month. We'll see what happens. This so called company better get what's coming to them, because they've caused nothing but grief for a lot of us...