afficient towing / Illegal Towing and Over Charge by Afficient Towing

Glendale, AZ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 623-931-6697

On March 24, 2010 I was towed by Afficient Towing & Recovery from the Firestone Tire Company in Scottsdale, Arizona. Not only did they tow me without clear notice (no signs posted in the area I was parked), they also ripped me off and charged me twice the legal amount ($150). When I went to retrieve my car, I was charged double by John, who said it was “after hours and towing fees are double.” I paid the fee and got my car but was upset and wanted to clarify with Scottsdale Police. They told me this was a recurring scam by towing companies and that they would make a report and dispatch an officer.

I drove back to the tow yard and they said it was legal. I called Scottsdale Police on speakerphone and the woman confirmed that they were not allowed to charge more than $75 in 24 hours. The towing company woman refunded me the difference but would not refund the initial $75 for towing my car even though I was parked in an area without signs or notice of no parking.

The sign on another part of the parking lot reads “VEHICLE TOWED AT VIOLATOR’S EXPENSE NOT TO EXCEED $75/24 HRS IF YOUR CAR HAS BEEN TOWED. CITY ORDINANCE 2242”.

John said that “Normal business hours are 9-4:30pm and it is $75 between these hours. Our owner had a meeting last week with us and said no exceptions, anyone after 4:30pm must be charged double.” Surely a city tow truck company operating out of Tempe, Glendale and Scottsdale should know the law and not take advantage of it.

I am requesting my $75 towing fee be refunded. Not only was I taken advantage of by being over-charged, I was initially parked in a space and surrounded by spaces that have no signage indicating no parking. The initial tow was illegal and I want my money refunded as well as my $20 taxi reimbursed. I have photos and video of the parking lot as well.

afficient towing

Comments

• Ri
      3rd of Nov, 2012

They did the same thing to me. Towed me with no clear signs posted and charged me $194 for the tow and one day of storage fees. I shouldn't have had to pay for any storage fees since they are closed on Sundays and I was unable to get my vehicle out until the next day. So not only did I not have my vehicle for two days because they were closed but they charged me for it.