Aeroplan / expired aeroplan miles without proper notice!

1 817 Shaw StToront, Ontario, Canada Review updated:
Phone: 416-539-0769

Here is a copy of a letter I sent to Aeroplan earlier this week.

Rupert Duchesne
President & Chief Executive Officer
Aeroplan

Dear Mr. Duchesne, I have been a loyal Aeroplan miles collector since 1996. To date I have collected over 57000 airmiles in the hope of one day taking my family to Disneyworld. I figured I would wait until I had enough aeroplan miles and then surprise my wife and two children with the trip as a gift. Last week I went to check to see if I had enough aeroplan miles and was informed that they had all been revoked.

Since I had not received any hard copy letters from Aeroplan, I had not heard of any new policy changes from your company. Yes I did get several emails from Aeroplan over the past year but since they were generic form letters and junk mail, they ended up in my junk mail folder and so I didn't get them (by the way, I get over 1500 junk mail letters every month and cannot read them). In fact, looking over my junk mail now, I can see that I was notified that my miles were to expire in October of 2007. If I had been made aware of your policy changes, I would have most certainly kept my account active. Without any hard copy letters sent to me, I never did get notification of my impending losses. In fact, I had lost about 22000 of the 57000 aeroplan miles one year earlier and wasn't even notified about that. That's a bit bit of an oversight, wouldn't you agree?

I feel that all twelve years of my savings have been taken away from me because of some internal Aeroplan policy change of which I wasn't made aware of. It's as if the bank which holds my savings came up with a similar policy that untouched accounts over one year would revert the savings away from the client back to the bank. It's absurd, I know, but it's similar to you taking my aeroplan miles away from me. I understand that you have had hundreds of complaints about this, and would add that my discussions with one of your client representatives (Valaria in Vancouver @ [protected]) was not very helpful. Unfortunately Valaria would only give me her first name.

I understand that your company had changed the contract under which aeroplan miles were to be administered but unfortunately, your form letters did not get through. If I may, I would like to suggest that any significant policy changes that impact your clients in such a dramatic way should at least warrant a hard copy letter to all participants. I am writing this email in the hope of getting all my aeroplan miles reinstated with no costs to me, now that I am aware of your new rules. If there was more care in contacting me regarding my impending losses, I would assume the loss myself, but since, as I have already stated, your form letters simply aren't personal enough to be considered anything more than just junk mail.

Comments

• Ka
      2nd of Apr, 2008

I have just realized that this has also happened to me. Surfing on the web I realize I am not alone, many others like me and you. This is really frustrating since I have worked hard to earn these miles. I don't feel Aeroplan has informed me properly, a paper (mail) statement is what would have been effective with emphasis on the 12 month inactivity period. For some reason with the news I was made aware of the expiry date on each mile but not on the account inactivity period of 12 months which expires all the miles.

If anyone knows of a class action lawsuit please let me know.

This is a great complaint you have written and I feel the same. If would be nice if you could respond back with the result of your actions. Thanks

• Jm
      26th of Aug, 2008

Would be happy to join Aeroplan Class Action Lawsuit. My miles were taken away improperly as they should have been all marked with a 7 year expiry date when the new policy started, 7 years from the change - not 7 years from the original date to be fair and according to Aeroplan's policy. Also, I will be cancelling all Air Canada and Aeroplan flights as I will not be flying with an airline that doesn't communicate with and properly take care of the clients.

• Pr
      10th of Nov, 2008

Its a great complaint. Please let us know what happen to your complaint. We lost our miles too.

• Yi
      4th of Jan, 2009

If there is Aeroplan Class Action Lawsuit, I would be happy to join too. I just found out that I lost my points too. The the attitude from the customer service was very rude.

• Ph
      12th of Dec, 2010

To everyone who posted on this topic, there is a class-action lawsuit filed by Owen Falquero of MERCHANT LAW LLP against Aeroplan in Montreal district court. I have registered on Merchant Law's website (www.merchantlaw.com) to receive information about this lawsuit. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it is still active as I lost 300, 000 pts for not being active in the last 12 months.

25th of Apr, 2018

@Phil23 Did anything ever become of this?

• Fr
      12th of Jun, 2015

I was robbed by Aeroplan and lost 410, 000 miles. What a theif!

• Fr
      12th of Jun, 2015

Let's fight these AEROPLAN thieves and get our miles back plus compensation.

• Su
      3rd of Aug, 2015

I my mileage has also been cancelled because I have received Aeroplan notice which was sent by standard air mail. It obviously got lost therefore I didn't realise the mileage being expiry soon.
    Now I want to raise my complaint to the Aeroplan, no one in his Service Center could divert my email nor to tell me to whom shall I address.
    I would like to know any one can tell me what's my next move to raise my complaint?

4th of Dec, 2015

Dear officer
    We called Phone 514-395-0300 today 11/30/2015 at 7.10 AM EST and talked to Aeroplan staff and then Supervisor Ms. Marlen(Ph 8669515130) and discussed in details what happened . She did confirm that Aeroplan Staff didn’t warn/tell us about expiry of miles when we called on October 11 2015 and November 6 2015. She assured that your department will reinstate it and advised us to send you this email.
    Here is the brief of our account and communications

First we called Aeroplan on October 11 2015 to look for three business class return flight from LAX to DEL on December 24 2015 and return on January 10 2016 Aeroplan Staff could not find any availability for these dates and didn’t even tell/warn us about expiry of Miles
    We again called on November 6 2015 to make changes in booking . Same time we asked Aeroplan staff to book for us under three business class return flight from LAX to DEL on December 24 2015 and return on January 10 2016 with no success This time again Aeroplan staff didn’t tell us about soon expiry .

You can check both of our accounts that we are long term loyal customers for Aeroplan Air Canada and transferring points or transactions is not at any issue for us if we were notified on time

We didn’t get any email too about expiry earlier which Aeroplan officer did send it today for our records

Hence we request you to reinstate our 1204000 Miles to our accounts so that we can make booking since Aeroplan Supervisor did confirm about mistake too that we were not notified during both of our calls

• Ke
      26th of Nov, 2017

Has anyone ever gotten their airmiles back..Just lost mine..expired 10 days ago...they said they sent me a letter 4 mths ago..I didn't get it...you should have to sign for the letter so they know you recieved it..and send an email...so they know it was read...what a scam

21st of Dec, 2017

I lost my points as well after many years of earning points flying with Air Canada. Unfortunately, I was punished because I didn't choose to shop with their other partners. They hide behind their policy and one weak e-mail to let you know that you need to play their game or they get a free pass to take your hard-earned points.

Add me to your list.
    Lost over 70, 000 miles and did not see any email warning of the impending loss.
    Customer service tried to convince me to buy back my points, not even maybe was I going to give them more money.

25th of Apr, 2018

Even the hotel chains will usually reactivate the points as a good gesture, and appreciated.
    Seems that this should be illegal since gift cards cannot expire anymore.

• Sh