Aerolineas Argentinas / Exorbitant delays, lost luggage, stolen items!

Argentina Review updated:
We flew with Aerolineas Argentinas from Madrid to Buenos Aires on 26 December 2007. On that flight, apart from the aging aircraft, with broken reading lamps, essentially inedible food and the low-quality inflight entertainment, they lost the luggage (and delivered it only 36 hours later!). In addition, a camera was stolen from the checked-in suitcase.

On the return flight from Buenos Aires to Madrid on 8 January 2008, the flight was delayed - initially - by 16 (!) hours, from 2300 to 1500 next day because one of the pilots failed to show up for work. This meant for everyone: re-entering Argentina (queue for passport control), waiting for the luggage to be unloaded (another 1.5 hours wait), queuing to get a hotel voucher (another 1 hour), and then a 90-min bus transfer to a hotel 60km away from Buenos Aires. We eventually got our hotel room around 0500 am. We were told to await the bus back to the airport at 1100 am (i.e. 6 hours later). It arrived only at 1430, by then the flight had been postponed from the originally planned 1500 departure time to 1900. Later on, it was shifted again to 2100. It eventually took off just before midnight. The cabin was initially not airconditioned, leading to unbearable sauna-like heat for the first hour or so.

Worst of all, not a single word of apology from the captain or crew for the 24 hour delay. To add insult to injury, the captain did his usual spiel at the end with "hope to welcome you onboard an Aerolineas Argentinas flight again", which appeared to be a deliberate affront to a full cabin of enraged and suffering passengers In Madrid, the onward flight to Frankfurt was missed, causing another 5-hour wait. Rebooking of flights for all passengers with onward connections at the local Aerolineas Argentinas desk was a chaos, causing tumultuous scenes. There were in fact were ealier flights to Frankfurt with other airlines, but since none of these would do any business with Aerolineas Argentinas, we were - once again, as had been the case for the past 36 hours - de facto "hostages" of an atrociously badly managed and incompetent airline.

More Aerolineas Argentinas Complaints & Reviews

Comments

Jo
  28th of Sep, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Aerolineas Argentinas are very bad.
I have travelled few times with Aerolineas Argentinas countless delay and unreasonable low quality. The food is ok but not good, and the tv is not working.
Jo
  28th of Sep, 2008
YES not airconditioned !! I was so pissed
Jd
  24th of Nov, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Officially the worst airline in my books. Delays, lack of notification/explanations, bad service, no air-con, unidentifiable plastic like and also going off food (maybe same stuff they had for the flight before the delay?), rude staff, inflight entertainment terrible and an overall joke.
I have flown this airline several times and EVERY single time have had an issue with something. The staff really are not helpful, caring and are quite rude. No other way to put it.
Co
  22nd of Jun, 2009
Awful airline, they change my departure time and airport 3 times since booking. Staff is rude and extremely unhelpful. Avoid at all costs.
Tr
  27th of Jul, 2009
They lost our luggage in 2007 during the flight London-Madrid-Buenos-Santiago and never found it. It took us more than a year and countless visits in their London office to get some compensation. Only after we took the legal action they eventually paid. Ignorant and unhelpful staff in London office. Keep all the mail and paperwork as a legal proof if you deal with them!
An
  5th of Apr, 2011
April 2011
Do yourself a favour this is the worst airline and I fly frequently around the world. 5 days no luggage and my freinds disable wheelchair was not puton the plane, 3 fLIGHT CANCELLATIONS, flight attendants refused to answer any calls in economy class for the whole flight from Buenos Aries to Auckland.
Complete disintrest an old plane with rips in seats and screens not working, no notification of cancellation and huge delays,
Australia to Brasil.
Warning Warning Warning
Fly Lan Instead
Ki
  25th of Feb, 2013
Last month, my brother and I had to fly from Buenos-Aires to Ushuaia with Aerolineas to board a cruise to Antarctica. We bought our ticket a couple of months prior to the flight. At B-Aires checkin desk the staff told us they do not see our seat (although we had tickets in our hands) and that we should complain to our agency in Europe. I told them we had to have a seat on a plane as we had our cruise ship living at 5pm and we paid 20'000 USD for this Antartica cruise but the guy just told us that there was nothing he could do. Finally i did give 2'000 USD to a random passenger to buy his ticket so i could board that plane in last minute. The airline at no point helped me for whatsoever. I am very disappointed about the airline and the people in general. Never i will go back to Argentina. But i recommend to everyone for Antarctica!