AEON BiGAbusive Hairdresser who worked in AEON BiG Kepong

I am writing to complain about the haircut service provided by AEON BiG Kepong branch. I am unsure whether the male hairdresser is an AEON's employee or is he a vendor engaged by AEON, nonetheless, my experience with his service yesterday was totally unacceptable. Unfortunately, I failed to get this hairdresser's name, but I noticed he was the one and only hairdresser there at that time.

Yesterday afternoon (23/Feb/2016), approximately 2.30pm, my 7-years-old autistic son had a haircut in one of the quick-cut booth inside AEON BiG @ Kepong. During the 5 - 8 minutes haircut ordeal, my son had exclaimed more than 10 times of painful inflictions. He "ouches" and "ouches" and even said, "You are hurting me" at one point. Almost every single stroke, I saw this hairdresser applied the hair-clipper to my son's head with unnecessary harshness, and pressed his head down forcefully. While I tried to pacify my son to try to cooperate, the hairdresser has the audacity to say to my son in Cantonese, "If you continue to argue (扭計), I will continue and do more to you!"

On hearing this remark, I quickly informed him, "Excuse me, my son is autistic..." which he snapped and rudely answered, "I know! I have to do this to him in order to get things work!" while giving me this glared-eyes-and-clenched-jaw look.

Shocked and very angered, with the haircut was almost done, I can only think of getting out of there as quickly as I could. My reaction was knowing there was no point arguing in public with this person, I paid RM $16 and took my son away. If AEON BiG care to check their CCTV, they can observe how my son cooperated, and note there was not a single minute of 'temper tantrum' or argument which he accused my son of. How did the haircut finishes in less than 10 minutes if my son had struggled or been uncooperative?

I find this hairdresser's attitude, conduct, the service he rendered and the entire experience appalling and horrifying. He has the cheek to admit to me that he purposefully inflicted pain to my son and hurt him intentionally, under the guise of gaining cooperation. Allow me to reiterate, my son was cooperative throughout.

Is he an expert with autism? Does he know what is autism? Regardless he knows or not, an expert or not, the fact that he has the intent to hurt someone (a customer / a child) by causing pain with sharps (hair clippers and scissors in this circumstances) is utterly unacceptable.

Equally inexcusable was his response when a customer was complaining of pain. He did not offer a single apology to reassure his customer that it was unintentional, yet, he dare expressed threats that he will continue hurting the customer until they are submissive. Whether the customer is cooperative or not, if you hurt someone, intentional or not, offering an apology is plain simple manners.

I cannot accept such atrocity that this person can freely hurt customers on purpose and with harmful intent while dishing out threats to continue to injure customers unless he gets his way. Was I getting a haircut service or was I dealing with slaughterers and murderers? How I wish I can call the police to arrest him!

Indian barbers charge RM $7 - RM $10 per haircut. Quick-and-dry-cut booths cost RM $12 per haircut. For RM $16, it was not a cheap service at all. Please be known that my son was a customer, and we paid for the service. It was not a free or charitable service. It was not a "hassle" or "additional task" but a paid service from a consumer to a merchant. No one (and no customer) should be treated in such a manner, let alone an autistic 7 years old child! Furthermore, no one has any right to hurt or threaten any child, autistic or not.

Again, I am uncertain whether this hairdresser in AEON BiG Kepong is an employee or a sub-contractor/vendor. Either way, I walked into AEON BiG's premises essentially as an AEON's customer. AEON's discretion for hiring such employees or engaging with such vendors to provide abusive services to customers is highly questionable. I wonder whether the risk of reputation damage has any meaning to AEON at all.

My purpose is to inform and highlight this nightmarish experience I had with a hairdresser working in AEON BiG Kepong. It was not a case of simple rudeness, or a slight in customer service. THERE IS A MAN, WORKING AS A HAIRDRESSER IN AEON BiG KEPONG, WHO ABUSES CUSTOMERS PHYSICALLY!

I wrote to AEON BiG to complain about this incident. I am not seeking monetary compensation here as no amount of money can comfort me for having hurt my child. I do wonder what kind of action AEON will take, if any at all.

I am waiting to hear from AEON BiG regarding this matter.

Vicki CHEOK