AEG / Intolerable service, no response!

1 South Africa Review updated:

Below are 2 emails sent firstly to AEG in Germany to which no reply was received, and then secondly the email to the AEG Head Office in Johannesburg, South Africa. I also faxed the correspondence to AEG South Africa to ensure that they received it. I have had no reply from either (Fax or email). I will be taking this matter to the Consumer Council of South Africa but would like it posted on Complaints.com also if possible. I am also notifying our local newspaper of this matter and shocking service or complete lack thereof.

The update of the below complaints is as follows:

The fridge has now been repaired. The washing machine drum mechanism is damaged and has to be replaced at great cost as it is out of the guarantee period. The parts have to be ordered from Germany. The Technicians are unable to tell us if it will take 3 weeks or 3 months.

I have decided it will be pointless to repair it and will instead replace it with another brand appliance.

W. de Sousa

----- Original Message -----
From: Wendy
To: carlos.careiro AT electrolux.com
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 9:47 AM
Subject: Fw: URGENT EMAIL FOR THE INTERNATIONAL SERVICE MANAGER : AEG

Dear Sir

I believe you are the contact person in Johannesburg regarding service issues. Plse find below a copy of my email sent on Friday which is self explanatory. No response has been received thus far.

However, note the update to the below mentioned letter is as follows:

1) My staff managed to get an AEG technician to come to the house on Friday to assess the problem with the washing machine. The machine was purchased late 2002 so it is barely 4 years old. However, the technician has discovered that the drum has to be replaced due to wear and tear. At this point I am incredulous as to how this is possible after only 4 years of regular residential use in a household of only 2 people. I am still waiting for a quotation but it appears that it will be a costly repair and I am of the opinion that it would be a complete waste of money and will be more inclined to replace the appliance with a brand that is indeed worth it.

2) The telephone call (mentioned in the letter below) made on Friday in an attempt to get some sort of service was to your 0860 number. I eventually hung up after being put on hold repeatedly.

3) The Logistical Manager mentioned was Renier van Rensurg to whom I wrote regarding my original complaint - no replay as yet has been received.

I have still not received any information as regards the fridge repair apart from the fact that the part has arrived in CT. Unless I hear anything to the contrary by the end of today, I will be filing this complaint with the consumer council.

Wendy de Sousa

----- Original Message -----
From: Wendy
To: aeg-hausgeraete.kundenservice AT aeg-hausgeraete.de
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2007 11:19 AM
Subject: URGENT EMAIL FOR THE INTERNATIONAL SERVICE MANAGER : AEG

Dear Sir / Madam

I am writing you in connection with the service of AEG South Africa.

At this point I am absolutely at a loss to understand what the AEG Customer Service policy is as it appears to be non-existent in Cape Town, South Africa.

As I write this I am on hold to the AEG Service Centre - I have been on hold (telephonically) so far for approximately 15 minutes. I am trying to book a service call for repair of an AEG Lavamat 74630 Update Washing Machine which no longer spins.

This however, is the least of my problems. I also have a double door stainless steel AEG Refrigerator which has an ice-maker that has not been working for over a year. For 10 months of that year I have been trying to get it repaired by AEG. The model is 6 years old and cost me R25,000 at the time it was purchased. A technician came out and whilst attempting to remove part of the ice-maker, cracked the inside plastic covering which will cost a fortune to replace. I was then informed the part for the icemaker (the flap) would have to be ordered from Germany (I did not agree to repair the cracked covering as it would cost over R3000 even though the technician did the damage!).

That was 6 months ago. They apparently forgot to order it and then when they did, they ordered the wrong part. Nobody ever came back to inform me though. My secretary has made over 50 calls to AEG in attempt to have this fridge repaired and to date, it remains broken.

I also wrote to the AEG SA Logistics Manager in Gauteng (Johannesburg) to get action on the repair of the fridge and did not even get the courtesy of a reply.

In addition to this, I also own an AEG Tumbledryer and an AEG Dishwasher. I can honestly say that I will NEVER buy another AEG product again. I have never come across such appalling service and absolute disregard for customer care in my life.

It is clear that AEG concentrates solely on the sale of their products but has no interest whatsoever in after-service and maintenance of their very product that keeps breaking down. Prior to purchase of my AEG appliances, I purchased Defy products. None of which ever gave me half as many problems as your products. And if, on the odd occasion, I required maintenance of the product, there was excellent follow up and service.

I find this service intolerable for a product line that is so costly. I urge you to contact me without any delay or arrange to have all the AEG products removed from my household and replaced with a product from a reputable company that cares about it's customers and it's products! I will also furthermore be in contact with the SA Consumer Council as regards this appalling service.

F.Y.I. I received no response to my telephone call to the AEG service center (which I was on hold for) and after 30 minutes I hung up. I will now contact another general appliance company and send the invoice for payment to AEG Gauteng.

I await your urgent response.

W. de Sousa
South Africa

We

Comments

• Ro
      22nd of Oct, 2007

Dear Wendy,

It is with regret I must write to you and Thank You for posting this complaint on the Internet.

My wife and I, and were saddened to read of your plight with AEG appliances. We are currently renovating our house and are completely replacing our kitchen and laundry. After having had phenomenally good service and experience with Whirlpool for many years, we decided to look at other appliances and amongst other makes, decided to look at what AEG had to offer.

Forunately we decided to check the various products through Google and the internet and were fortunate to be directed to your most unfortunate experience with AEG.

We understand that through your misfortune, we will be gaining by being able to scratch AEG off our list, but thank you all the same for affording unsuspecting and innocent people of the pitfalls in dealing with un-Caring and ill-mannered suppliers.

We wish you lots of luck in your new choice.

Most sincerely,

Bob and Maureen Dixon

• Ke
      20th of Nov, 2007

I can't really comment on the service of AEG as I am still trying to find out where the service center is and if I can get parts for my oscillating fan. I just have a complaint about the product. In December last year I bought an AEG oscillating fan, it worked for about 2 months and then the blades just broke off. I misplaced the invoice so had no warranty claim. All I want to do is buy a replacement blade unit as the fan comes in parts and that is one of the parts that comes loose. My complaint is not that I can't get the part because I haven't really looked hard enough to find a service center but that something like that lasts 2 months and then the blades shatter (it WASN'T cheap).

• Ri
      18th of Jan, 2008

I am also worried about AEG's products. I purchased two AEG ch18 floor fans on the 16/10/2007 One of them stopped working on the 7/12/2007. It was replaced with a new one by the store where i purchased it. This replacment fan has just packed up today with an almighty bang. 18/1/2008, Wow it lasted a whole 43 days, The store replaced it once again. My problem is how long will this one last and what about the other fan which is still working but has become suspect. How many more times must i pay with time and petrol to change machines.

• Wj
      20th of Jun, 2008

I HAVE HAD THE SAME EXPERIENE WITH THIS SAME AEG FAN.IT HAS BEEN REPLACED TWICE BUT I ALLSO WONDER WHAT NEXT

AEG - Not fit for purpose
    aeg.com

Broke after making about 30 cups of coffee.no joy from AEG. Not fit for purpose. It looks attractive but not really fit for purpose.

AEG - Awful everything
    aeg.com

Extremely disappointed with this AEG PE9038M Alu Espresso Machine & Coffee Maker. If I had the choice again, I would not buy one. It was expensive and has not delivered. I would buy a stove top espresso maker instead and save yourself some money.

AEG - Very disappointed
    aeg.com

AEG Favorit 3A - I would not recommend this dishwasher. My previous dishwasher was half the price and lasted for 10 years! This was not cheap and has never worked correctly (no help from place of purchase or AEG). Very disappointed as I believed AEG was a good name and that the 3 X A would be excellent.

• Er
      14th of Apr, 2014

I'm trying to get a toaster repaired! Good luck to all trying to get through to their Sales, their Service, their Reception, their anything. Beyond useless. This rests solely on whoever is running AEG in SA, probably out fishing without a clue (or care) on what's happening. Service Centre is non-existent, all contact numbers don't exist. What kind of global brand (especially German) operates like this. Pathetic..