Advantage Telecom / Charged for service I did not request

United States, New Jersey, Hackensack Review updated:
Advantage Telecom
Last 3 bills from Verizon have had 3rd party billing for services I have never requested nor received from Advantage Telecom. Have called and complained and written letter but I keep getting billed. Have written letters to the FCC and the NJ Board of Public Utilities to complain but have not rec'd any response yet. This company is scamming people!!! Very disgusted.

A  20th of Feb, 2009 by
I noticed the same on my Verizon bill.
Supposedly my wife sent them an email requesting a calling card. I was able to call them and have this canceled and, again, supposedly they will credit this back.
A  29th of Sep, 2009 by
I'm having the same problem and the company refuses to credit back the amount charged and insist I requested their service from my computer. I DID NOT! I don't know how they acquired my personal information but they need to be stopped.
I've called and sent e-mails but they refuse to listen and today they told me that the charge would NOT be removed from my QWest statement unless I sent them a written letter including my drivers license information - they must think I'm crazy to give them any more amunition for fraud! They can take me to court but I'm not succumbing to their spurious business practices!
Patti Fairbanks
A  25th of Jun, 2010 by
Boy, do these comments sound familiar! We too are being charged monthly for USBI Advantage Telecom, LD and carrier cost fees totaling $20.71, for a service we did NOT request. I too have made the calls and their charging us again this month. They are going to get another call and we'll pay our bill minus the USBI fees.
A  2nd of Sep, 2010 by
Yes, they got us on our phone bill, claiming we had authorized them to bill us for long distance. Where does someone report these problems?
A  25th of Oct, 2011 by
A salesman called me and said that even though I did not have and didn't need long distance they could cut my bill by about $5 if i added Advantage telecom to my service & there would be no charge for long distance unless I actually made a call.. When I get my bill. There is no changes in the charges for my phone but have been charged 16.06 for long distance services. I called Advantage and they tell me that will be my monthly charges form now on. I asked for the service to be discontinued they said it would take 5-10 days to put it into affect and i would get a small charge next month. I asked how much and they said it would be 16.06. I asked for a refund of the charges and they informed me that I had to listen to the recording, which they would send me in 3-5 days, then I would need to write a dispute to get my money back. I was not happy. I called my phone company and they were so nice. They took off the charges and put me back my service the way I was, no charge. If I get the other charges from advantage they said to call them and they would take that off also.
A  2nd of Nov, 2011 by
Boy have I been dealing with this, today.I have seen the "Detail of USBI Charges" on my monthly phone bill for the last few months, with a different amount each month.I thought these were my neighbors charges (her grand kid calls collect a couple times a month) This months bill was different though, it was for my computer line, which has NEVER had a phone even hooked up to it...so I started checking, called USBI, they gave me the number to Advantage Telecom...who after a 15 minute wait finally got on the line, to "explain" to me that my daughter Melissa filled this out online last May and they "confirmed" it with Melissa on the phone...and after many choice words, they did let me listen too her "confirmation"...only problem is SHE DID NOT have my authorization, she DID NOT live here & she gave them the WRONG address.When I told them I wanted it cancelled, & wanted my money back NOW!!! I was told they needed PROOF of who I WAS!! My "current address" (I've lived here 20+ years) They wanted all of this proof & my info faxed to their billing office "for review"Then the "person" gave me the WRONG fax number...after 6 tries, I called back...and they wanted to start all over...not on my time, I FINALLY got the "right" fax number but they didn't get my drivers lisc...they got a nasty letter, with my demand for my money back. I think I'm calling the FCC in the morning, and will keep contacting them (the FCC) until I get ALL of my money back, and this Advantage Telecom is either out of buisness (because I believe it is a SCAM) or they start doing things the right way...Lori
N  22nd of Jun, 2012 by
I just made my 4th call to get this charge from Advantage Telecom off of my bill. They said it was going to the credit people for review and they couldn't tell me how long it would take. I told them I was not waiting any longer and would soon seek legal advise. They told me I would be charged for the next month after I cancelled, which I was, and it's still on my bill. The man, if you can call him that, told me I was stupid if I didn't take this switch because he'd save me $20 a month. I am paying $20 more than before. I would love to talk to that guy now. It wouldn't be pretty.
How can they do this to so many people?
A  5th of Nov, 2013 by
Advantage Telecom are awful for "extra" charges we as a business are leaving their service. Lets just say they are not as nice when you are leaving them as they are when they are trying to get you into a contract. Very rude and disrupted our business. They also tried to bill us for faults on our lines!! I would highly recommend staying away from this company.
N  29th of Nov, 2013 by