Advanta Bank Corp. / Unethical

I have never been late on my advanta card and have great credit. They just raised my annual percentage rate from 7.99% to 30.9%. When I asked for an explanation they would not give me one, they just said it was based on a review and could not give specifics. All they could tell me was it was based on a periodic review. Not only did they screw me over, there customer service is lousy and the representative was yelling over me.

I am so pissed and don't know if this is ethical and if I can report them for this.

Va

Comments

• Ev
      13th of Sep, 2008

I just had the same issue about Advanta like you. I submit a complaint report to the FTC... Pls do the same so we can have lots of complaints about Advanta and hopefully something can be done about this unethical company.

Pls go to: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

• Kr
      17th of Sep, 2008

Same thing here - but we were lucky ----only got up to 22%. I am scanning the internet now to post as many reviews of this situation as possible, but I will also file a complaint as notated in the comments.

• St
      22nd of Sep, 2008

BUYER BEWARE! As a card holder since 2006, I had a 7.99% rate until my last statement showed 30.08% !!! I called and was fed the same BS. They told me my rate changed due to my credit score, payment history and the economy! My credit has not changed. If anything, it improved. I have never had a late payment with Advanta. They said I received a letter showing the rate increase and had a chance to opt out. I never received this letter. After getting off phone with Advanta, I quickly transferred my balance to another credit company. I will never do business with Advanta again.

• Bi
      3rd of Oct, 2008

I have had the same problem with Advanta. They jacked my rate from 7.99 to 27.99 claiming I was late on a payment. The payment they spoke of was rejected by WAMU because WAMU gave my money to a guy with incorrect ID and no checkbook or debit card 1386 miles away from me, even after the guy attempted it earlier and had been red flagged. WAMU comingled the process of red flag 4 months after the fact between my business and personal accounts. It was WAMU's mistake and they sent a letter as requested from Advanta which I was told would readjust me back down. It didn't. Then I got 6-8 calls harrassing me a day and they continue. They've threatened me with a suit.

How short sighted of them to wrong their customers like that. I will never do business with them again and advise all others considering them to run fast away.

• Br
      13th of Oct, 2008

I have account with Advanta. My business was forced to clse on5/1/08 and after selling off everything, and selling my home ( onwhich I made about $1000), it took a job whihc is paying me about $1500 a month less than I was making at my own business.
    I realized with this that I would in a position where I would need help from the creditors to try and lower payments, interest rates, etc if I was going to keep my head above water. I contact all my creditors before I ever missed a payment, and in Advanta and WAMU was told that they ahd no rpograms for this, and that I would just have to pay them and let someone else slide. Now I may not be bright but it would seem to me that if you someone saying that they need help, before they are behind, that it wold be the right thing from a business standpoint to work with them. Not ### far as Advants is concerend. I am now behind with the, and no way to catch up, and they still refuse to work out something with me. What this has done is to force me into bankruptcy, I will be filing in the next week or so, and according to my attorney with the debt and the income they will get nothing. I may well reaffirm with those that helped me and understaood the situation, but Advanta and WAMU will not be in that group.
    It is nto a decision i make lightly but the phone calls, verbal threats and abuse that have been heaped on me by Advanta, and their unwillingness to work with me has left me no choice.

• Bu
      18th of Nov, 2008

Yes complian to the FDIC and Utah's Attorney General's office.

They criminal organization that is pretending to be a bank, needs to be closed and the principals arrested and charged. They claim they will default you if you yell or cuss at them. I guess they can re-write the constitution in their agreements too.

• Fa
      13th of Jan, 2009

I too was surprized to one day find my 7.99 APR jumping to 25.8 APR. No explantaion.

The higher rate applied to EXISTING debt as well as new debt. What a rip-off!

I made at least two payments a month and always 7 to 10 times the minimum, and then some.

The clown in Utah Office said the review covered many points and covert company policy
    he was not at liberty to reveal to me.

I addressed my complaint to the CEO in Hassirburg, PA (headquarters);
    Draper, Utah customer service office;
    The Attorner General's office in Penna., Utah, New Mexico;
    Senator, Congresman, FDIC; FTC and everyone in my address book.

I was very fornutate to have a savings account bigger than my credit card debt. I paid them off plus one penny. They
    finally ate that penny as interest and fees. Had I owed THEM a penny I would be charged interest, late fees and minimum monthly charges.

I called their 1-800 number, told them they were a bunch of crooks and theives and closed the account.

• Cl
      28th of Jan, 2009

I was going to open an online CD account with this bank til I read a few of the complaints. Even though the complaints are about credit card interest, I'm not interested in doing business with a bank that treats their customers like this.

• Bo
      4th of Feb, 2010

I AM TRYING TO GET SOME INFORMATION ON MY CASE.I ALLREADY HAD MY HEARING IT WAS LAST YEAR WHEN I WENT TO COURT. MY NAME IS BOBBY BOYD MY ADDRESS IS 4934 1/2 KERSHAW STREET. AND MY E-MAIL ADDRESS IS bobbytoni@clear.net .I WOULD LIKE YOU TO SEND ME A PHONE NUMBER WERE I CAN CALL FOR THIS INFORMATION. I HOPE THAT YOU CAN HELP ME THANK YOU VERY MUCH.