Advance Auto Parts / bogus/useless warranty

1 Middletown, NY, United States Review updated:

Please read!!! When buying batteries from advance auto parts, check the warranty period very carefully! They give you a useless, bogus, warranty. They warranty batteries for 90 days with no prorated period. So, if you spend 79.99 on a battery like I did, and it goes bad 9 months later, you are s. O. L. They dont care, all they offer to do is sell you another $80 pos. They dont care about the public like they say, all they care about is putting the mighty dollar in their pocket while screwing the public. Well, they got their last mighty dollar from me. With any luck, they will get what is coming to them in this economy... Bankruptcy!

Ss

Comments

• Cl
      27th of Feb, 2009

Actually, different Advance Auto Parts stores have different policies which are determined by that particular store's manager. The store I worked in gave no questions asked replacements on batteries as long as it still had the date code or proof of purchase was in our computer. (Had to be from OUR store or verified by the actual store of purchase.) The battery must not be capable of holding a charge.
    The batteries we sold were regular(1 year warranty), Silver (2 year warranty) and Gold (3 year warranty). During the initial warranty period you are entitled to ONE free replacement battery, the same as turned in. AFTER that, the warranty is pro-rated towards the price of the new battery. The battery check machine issues a "code" which is typed into the computer during checkout. The proram automatically figures the pro-rate amount.

Additionally, SOME AAP stores offer a 10% military discount while others do not. It's manager's descretion since it lowers the profit of the store. Brakes: Some store give a "lifetime replacement" on the Gold brakes while others do not. Again, manager's descretion.
    Anytime you have a problem, ALWAYS insist, politely, to speak to THE manager of the store, not an assistant or shift manager. It may require you returning when the manager is there, but usually they will do whatever they can to accomodate you, WITHIN REASON! (And NO, I don't work at AAP anymore.)

• Do
      22nd of Mar, 2009

Wow! I completely agree with you there. And Not just the batteries, pretty much anything to do with warranties. I also agree with you on the only caring about the money part also. For what AAP want's it's employees to do the pay totally sucks. Employees are expected to do everything at once with low pay. AAP expects its employees to wait on EVERY customer regardless if he/she is already helping one. Also expects them to sell them stuff they don't really need. AAP calls this 'Attachment Selling'. I call it, 'Screw the customer and take as much of their money as you can'.

• Ne
      29th of Mar, 2009

The question is was it a small engine battery, for a motorcycle or atv, etc.? If so, then you should only of got a 90 warranty with no prorate. Also, some store will not give warranties on economy batteries if they're not spcified for that vehicle. I agree with the first poster about the differences in warranties between stores. It also depends upon if the district manager governs on spending and warranties. But I would say that you can trust the Assistant also since they are the "right hand man" of the manager, and usually there when the manager is not. Something else is that if the manager is unwilling, you can also try to contact customer support at the corporate office for help.

• Ki
      26th of Apr, 2009

My battery was dead in my camaro. I went in and bought another one. When I returned the old one, I realized it was still under warranty. It was a 3yr platinum. The same as the one I had just bought. The guy wasn't going to tell me, but I asked him! He said he could check it overnight and if it was bad, I was entitled to a new battery. I had to go out of town the next day (work related), so my husband went up there to check on it. SURPRISE! They couldn't find the battery. When they finally did, they said it was bad, but since I had already bought another one, they had credited my ATM card for the core charge. So I was SOL on the old battery. I emailed the company and told them how dissatisfied I was with this. They NEVER returned my email. I WILL NEVER SHOP AT ADVANCE AUTO STORES AGAIN! OH, and by the way, make sure you write down what you bought and when on the back of your receipt, because they also have the disappearing ink on their receipts. They can guarantee when this new POS battery goes bad that I just bought, that I WILL get my moneys' worth. If you want my advice, you would be better off going to NAPA or the dealer. ADVANCE IS ALL ABOUT ADVANCE!!!

19th of Sep, 2009

Kim is a ###, advance doesn't sell anything called a platinum grade battery. If i were Kim, I'd ask my husband to divorce me because i am such a dip ###

• Ha
      19th of Sep, 2009

Manwithcommansense, what is the point of your post? Who gives a damn what the name of the battery was, i'm sure if Advance didn't sell it, they would have told her that when she brought the battery in right? But, obviously you have no life and enjoy getting on here and personally bashing people with your pointless comments. Hmmm, do you work for Advance? Oh wait, I highly doubt you work.

BTW, did you mean to make your name 'ManWithNoCommonSense'? Someone needs spell check!

• Pi
      2nd of Nov, 2009

you can't base a company's reputation on one person's actions. yes i work for advance and some of these posts have open up my eyes to some peoples ignorance. an eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind you can't just get mad as hell over something petty in a place of business and expect people to treat you with respect and actually feel like they want to make your situation better. most of you people don't even pay attention to the warranties and then when something goes wrong you get pissed when somethings not covered. if you had such a problem with something when it broke i don't see why you didn't ask more questions before you bought the product. and something isn't covered if we see something failed do to other issues with the car. for example a battery isnt bad if its dead but holds a charge, the alternator isnt charging it or you have some sort of electrical drain. some people just don't get this. ive seen this time and time again. it makes me sick.

• He
      7th of Mar, 2010

I am assuming you bought an ATV/Cycle battery and are pissed off about the warranty. A 90 day warranty on a piece of plastic you pour acid into seems fair. With this being said, my assignment for you is to grab your iphone, call the competition, and ask about their warranties on similar batteries. Also keep in mind that an educated consumer would either 1). Question the seller about the warranty before making the decision to purchase. 2). Simply read the warranty terms on the receipt.

In addition, I would argue that if you are concerned with the "mighty dollar" and how it applies to routine maintenence on your ATV/Cycle, you are probably living outside your means, and should think about saving that dollar. I have a feeling that deep down inside you will agree.

• Am
      21st of Dec, 2010

Amazing, simply Amazing.
    It shows how consumers have spoiled themselves over the years. Everyone feels they are entitled to something.
    If you treat the employees respectful, you fill find all of them will go out of their way to help you. Dont take your anger and agression out on them because your car broke down. No one is out to get you clowns.