ADT / ADT

Toronto, ON, Canada Review updated:

I had lot of hope in ADT when we first installed the system in my house. But it proved to be wrong. Let me tell u that they have got the worst system and service in the world. It worked well for a month, then it started being a night mare for us. There was always a red light blinking on the system. As per the instruction it marked an intrusion. I am fortunate that there was no noise coming out of the system. I thought of informing the company about it and contacted them. They fixed an appointment 'according to my convenience' and then after that there was no news from their side. We tested the system with a mock intrusion and to no surprise, got a negative result. I contacted them one more time and got the same result as that of the previous one. I was sure that the system has gone faulty and hence on the third cal asked them to take it away. I have called them several times to complain, but it all ended up in disappointment (i had to enjoy the luxury of being on hold for hours) but my monthly draw is taken care off well. Now i have demanded a cancellation but was informed that i am in a 3 year contract trap. Thanks for the great service!

Comments

28th of Jul, 2010

ADT Security is a joke! And a ripoff too!
    I know because I worked for them for almost 2 years as a commercial and residential service engineer in Arizona.
    I designed, installed and tested technical security systems at US embassies and consulates before I retired from the USG and went to work for ADT. I am an electronic engineer and had specialized USG training in all aspects of technical security. I did military communications systems engineering for 23 years prior to working in security.
    When ADT hired me, they promised 30 days of training and I got nothing! They also said I would earn $75k but it was less than half that amount. And ADT managers, who knew nothing about security, expected and demanded that service personnel do at least 7 service calls per day, regardless of the complexity of the problem. Service crews were sent out with no parts and often had to call other service personnel to see if they were nearby and had the part needed.

ADT installs alarm systems that do not work and when a burglary does happen, they tell the customer ADT is not liable since the customer did not test his alarm system monthly as they are supposed to do.
    Most homeowners would not even know if their system was communicating or not with ADTs monitors (they either have a communication link over a telephone circuit or a wireless connection via a cell radio transmitter). I personally saw situations where the system was installed and not working properly and the customer had been paying for months or up to a year without knowing it.
    Yet despite all the shortcomings, ADT sees fit to charge $30-40 a month for a false sense of security - it's all about profit and little to do with customer service and satisfaction.
    And ADT has no installation standards, installer training, or spare parts on service trucks. I was sent to one customer’s home which was about a 1 hour ride away; when I arrived he needed a few standard 1.5 volt batteries and I had none on my truck. I had to drive to the nearest Ace hardware and buy them using my own money. At other residences, I found the heavy alarm panel mounted with only drywall screws (it was falling off the wall), exposed conductors on wires, panels installed upside down, and sensors that had been installed days ago falling off.
    ADT sales reps know little about security principles and how to design a proper alarm system. They advertize the $99 special, which is OK for a studio apartment at best, and then use the bait and switch scam to get the customer to shell out $1000 or more for an “expanded” home alarm system. Sales reps are out to maximize the total sale dollar amount since they get paid on commission.
    And ADT will take over any system ever installed by anyone else, as long as the customer pays the $30-40 monthly fee. Then ADT will not have trained personnel or parts to support these odd ball systems when they do fail.
    Buyer beware! It is a known fact that a big guard dog is a better deterrent for burglary! And keep in mind that a critical factor for any alarm system is the time it takes for police to respond to the alarm– if you are in a remote location and it takes 30 minutes for police to get there, burglars have this much time to crash and grab.

• Ad
      22nd of Apr, 2011

ADT didn't force you into a contract, they didn't guide your hand in signing it. suck it up buttercup.

• Fk
      9th of Dec, 2011

Yeah. i agree with your concern, i worked for the the ADT because of harassment i'd resign from adt
    please leave your postal call hear i will call you and provide you better services from adt

thanks & regards..