Adorable Ragdolls / Selling Sick Kittens

1 Dallas, TX, United States Review updated:

I purchased a kitten from Adorable Ragdolls (Dallas, TX) in April 2005.

I went to have her checked out by me local vet the day I picked her up in Dallas. The vet did all the blood work and sent it off. The cat was sneezing horribly and was given allergy meds. The baby was only 6 weeks old but they had gotten her spade before I could adopt her. The kitten had a huge abdominal hernia that the vet said would need surgery. I took the kitten home and started to bond. A week later the vet called w/ the lab results and told me the kitten had FIP. She even drew blood a second time to re-check and she was still FIP positive. I called Adorable Ragdolls and told them about the hernia and FIP, as I was worried about the health of other cats/kittens. She said the results were wrong but I could exchange the kitten. I had already spent over $500 at the vet for this kitten and I had bonded with her, I didn't want her "put down".

My ragdoll is almost 4 yrs old and still suffers from a delicate digestive system and has a shortened life expectancy (per the vet). She has had GI bleeds a few times and has cost us thousands of dollars. I love her (my cat) but these breeders should not be in business, because their cats are infected and breeding more infected kittens!
If you have an "Adorable Ragdoll" bought from Dallas, TX get them tested for FIP!

Comments

• Ka
      15th of Apr, 2009

Hi, My name is Karen Firth and I live in McKinney, Tx. I also bought two cats from Andrea of Minkcats/Adorablerags and both of mine are FIP positive too. The first cat I got from her was a female who was already 9 months old when I got her. She was also sneezing etc. and the vet did blood work and told me the cat was FIP positive. The vet told me that the cat could possibly not show serious symptoms but we would keep our eye on anything unusual. The second cat was a kitten that I had paid for in full but was too young to go home at the time and Andrea was reluctant to let me pick him up when the time came for him to be old enough. She kept telling me that she hadn't had a chance to get him to the vet to be neutered (which was part of the agreement when I paid for him) so she put me off for another month. I finally made a date to pick the kitten up and she wasn't there when I arrived at her house. Then I went back a few hours later and caught her by surprise, needless to say she didn't look happy to see me. The cat was visibly ill and underweight and still hadn't been neutered. The vet told me the cat would have died soon if I hadn't brought him in. Andrea was always rude and acted like she was always in the right even when she was blatantly wrong in her actions. I believe this cattery should be shut down since the conditions at the house are deplorable for the cats and she obviously has no intentions of stopping breeding since she has a new litter on her web-site. Both of my cats are FIP positive and the second kitten had a very rare bacteria that the vet had never seen before. I love my cats dearly but I can tell their illnesses will be a lifelong battle since my second cat has been to the vet many times. I told Andrea about how sick the second cat was and she acted like it was somehow my fault. We've probably spent $600.00 just trying to get him better, I have a supply of anti-biotic to give him if his symptoms reoccur. I'm sorry you had trouble too, I'm sure we aren't the only ones out there who had a bad experience with Andrea of Minkcats or Adorablerags whichever name she happens to be using at the time. Sincerely, Karen Firth

21st of Apr, 2009

It looks the same story as my kitten was sick and underweight and not a happy cat.She is afraid of a lots of things Andrea does also declaws her inside cats !!!
    She needs to be stopped.
    I hope your cat will live a long happy time.

• Ka
      21st of Apr, 2009

I bought a 5 month old kitten from her this past weekend because she reduced the prices to unload a bunch of older ones since she has several new litters and of course when I brought it to the vet this past Saturday she has Giardia, hookworms, and an infection. She was also FIP positive like my other two. The only reason I bought another kitten from her was to basically rescue the cat. My other two are doing fine now after much doctoring and I'm sure this one will be fine too in a little while, but Andrea still has an attitude if you tell her how sick your cats were and I'm not sure how soon she'll stop. She acts like she knows more than my vet, it's quite fascinating and scary. I hope your cat gets better soon.

25th of Aug, 2009

Can you all please email me asap PLEASE

• Cu
      28th of Aug, 2009

• Li
      4th of Sep, 2009

I bought my ragdoll from Andrea in 2005 and thankfully she is fine. However, I have another ragdoll I bought from DallasRags and he is in ill health, FLUTD and HCM. Besides being just awful to deal with Andrea bought most of her breeding stock from Marla of DallasRags thus leading to sickly cats and her obvious inability to take proper care of the cats.

When I first bought my Zoe, she had mothers nursing their kittens in her bottom kitchen cabinets. Oy. I just felt so bad I had to adopt at least one to get it out of there. She advertised that she would update weekly with kitten pictures until we could take the kitten home, of course she didn't. When I asked her about it she got majorly defensive and essentially said 'no one else had asked for it and it was rude of me to think i should burden her so with weekly pics'. I mean how dare I ask something that she promised?

She's in it for the money, stay far away.

I recently adopted a Bengal from a reputable breeder and the differences between her and Andrea and just MILES apart. I wish everyone luck with their babies and good health.

7th of Sep, 2009

Wow we all have been into terrible hands of a breeder that says on her website all is healthy in the cattery and that she is an honest breeder!!! Make it public and call the inspection for animalcare. And hopefully they go to the breeder and maybe than she will stop breeding and selling sick Ragdolls.

• Cu
      9th of Sep, 2009

Andrea mass produces "Variants" of two Breeds and distributes them throughout the World. She Breeds her cats as a product outside a particular Breed's Standard.She promotes them as rare. You are better off actually purchasing authentic versions of these Breeds instead of plunking down thousands of dollars on Andrea's exspensive and evidently sickly immitation Goods. You want a Mink colored Cat? buy a RagaMuffin from an authentic RagaMuffin Breeder. You want a Ragdoll? buy a Ragdoll from a reputable Ragdoll Breeder who Breeds their cat's within the Ragdoll Standard. Do not support Cat Farmers and BackYard Breeders.

17th of Sep, 2009

Two years ago we bought a 6 month old discounted cat from Andrea and the same is true with ours. He is not 2 years old and he has a rare heart condition. He spent a week in the hospital almost dead from kidney failure. The day we went to look at him he was obviously in poor health but we fell in love. (and I knew that we could rescue him)
    We should get together and get something done with this cat farm... If anyone wants to get something started get in touch with me..

• Li
      24th of Sep, 2009

I hate to see this practice continue. Perhaps some calls to the SPCA and complaints to the TICA and CFA would make a difference.

25th of Sep, 2009

Tica can do only something if you pay first $50, - and then the can do something Maybe !!!
    But i think you all in america can do much more with the SPCA. I have my complaints mailed to tica so the do know.

26th of Sep, 2009

Ola, Mrs. Honesty,
    Maybe you can tell here how sick and underweighted your Ragdoll is that came from this cattery, but nevertheless you mated this very sick and underweighted female and let her become pregnant. You later on are complaining about the tail kink her kittens have but happely sold a male to a cattery abroad and were selling a male for breeder quality on your own website, oh yes, you changed your website and left that information out. You are in for the money yourself, so who are you to come here to complain about others?

26th of Sep, 2009

Wow, Andrea you her on this complaint also? What do you give all these people?

That boy and girl are no breeders as you already know this, because they had a kink in their tail.Only the tabby's but that male is with his sister as a pet. All people here, look at my complaint on this board than you know all what billy wants you to know about me.I will not breed a kinktail.

Well Andrea your breedinggirl is already neutered and lives as a pet of course.

All people here have seen all the many complaints about you, so you do not have to try to blame me again, for you way of breeding.
    Now you can live your live and not mine.
    But my complaint is not the only one i have seen her.

This is the last thing i write to you Billy versus Andrea Teymori

28th of Sep, 2009

Dear Honesty,
    As usually you just twist around and around.
    You are complaining here about your very sick and underweighted Ragdoll and at the same time you bred her and let her have kittens. It just shows what a crook you are yourself.

For those who have Ragdolls from this cattery with heart problems: some one already let know of having a Ragdoll with HCM. Let your Ragdolls test for it, HCM is heridatery.
    For those who are complaining about FIP: it is a shame that there are still vets who test for FIP. FIP can't be tested for. It is the very innocent Carona virus which has the possibility to mutate into the deadly FIP. 95% of all catteries have cats having the Corona virus, it is absolutely no use and a waste of your money to test your cat for it, 'only' a very small percentage of the cats with a high titre will develope FIP and dies from it.
    Dr. Pedersen is in research of FIP for a long time. Now there is a possibility to support his research especially for Ragdolls. You can read more about it at:

26th of Dec, 2009

I have heard andrea is stopped with breeding .Yes thats the best thing happened for 2010

17th of May, 2010

Well, december 2009 we bough a ragdoll kitty from Ms Andrea and when I took her for e 'weelness' ck up 2 days after purchase, she was sneezing and had upper respiratory illness. Three months latr when I went to have her spade, she had protien off the charts in her blood...concluding FIP, a fatal disease with little/no cure. We love our kitty, it is heartbreaking to know this woman knowlingly sells sick kittens. Only wish Id found this page while doing original search in dec. We are facing putting her down, she weights less than 5 pounds now and is 8 months old. POOOR baby. SICK SICK lady..I hope YOU get what YOU deserve B I T C H!!!

17th of May, 2010

We purchased our kitty from Ms Andrea in Dec, 09. She was 14 weeks old, skinny and adorable. Took her to vet for 'wellness' check within two days, she had upper respiratory illness. Took her get spade when she was 6 months old and her blood work showed off the charts in protein. After antibiotics, no use, her blood work was same. FIP diagnosis. POOR KITTY... we are facing putting her down, she is less than 5 pounds and is very frail. SICK SICK lady, I HOPE she gets what's coming to her. GREEDY BREEDER!! B I T C H !!!No, she doesnt answer her phone...

• Sm
      16th of Sep, 2010

Please everyone, please stop buying from breeders. You will always end up dish out a ton of money and end up with a sick animal on your hands. Anyway, why buy from a breeder when there is a ton of PureBred homeless cats and dogs out there? I just looked online, and there were several Rag Doll Rescue Groups with Pure Bred kitties for adoption. You have a better chance of getting a healthy cat from a rescue group. The majority of the cats are placed in foster homes until more permanent homes can be found. I AM GOING TO REPORT THIS ANDREA WOMAN TO THE PROPER AUTHORITIES. SHE SHOULD BE CLOSED DOWN. IF SHE IS NOT ALREADY.

17th of Oct, 2010

Another proof that Ine Megens alias Honesty isn't that honest what she wants everyone to believe she is. She is just another money maker by just breeding very sick cats (as she started this topic to begin with - a matter of fact is that she came to complain here while this very sick cat was very pregnant) and sell the offspring as breeders, even though the kittens of this very sick cat have a kink in their tail (as she also was complaining about in this very topic: