Adele ServicesUnauthorized charges

1 Review updated:

On November 23, 2008, my debit card was debited the amount of $0.21. This is not a large amount but if they see they can get away with this... then what will the next amount be? I have never heard of this Adele company and the phone number that is listed on my bank statement doesn't work.

Comments

• Ca
      Nov 24, 2008

I have a charge of 26 cents on my account ... also from Adele Servicves - no explanation and authorization. I agree that it isn't a large amount, but a little can add up over time. What is the deal with "Adele?" Never heard of them! And what do we do about this?????

• Go
      Nov 24, 2008

I also have a charge of $.24 on my account. I called the bank and they can't tell me who this is. We should all dispute the charges and hopefully that will raise flags for the banks.

• Gm
      Nov 24, 2008

I had $.22 cents debited from my account. Cancelled my credit card. Apparently this scam has hit thousands of people all over the country this past weekend but not a word from the media. The consumer needs to be alerted to this type of criminal act.

• Ra
      Nov 24, 2008

I had .24 cents deducted on Nov 20, 2008 I called bank and they will dispute and issue new card for me. I also filed a complaint at http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx
    I am seeing tons of people with same complaint at http://www.callercomplaints.com/SearchResult.aspx?Phone=800-764-8104&page=2

• Si
      Nov 24, 2008

I agree with the complaints about adele services. On November 21, 2008 they took out 0.23 out of my checkin account. I had never heard of this company. there was a phone number on my statement, [protected] and when i called it it said that the phone number was not in service. I did contact my bank to dispute the charge. I am thinkign about ger a new debit card because if they can take out 0.23 then who's to say they won't try to take out more.

• Mo
      Nov 24, 2008

Same thing for me - .024 on my account, phone number is no good.

• Ce
      Nov 24, 2008

I have been bitten by the same situation my credit card got .26 charge from Adele Services, never heard about this business. I called the [protected] number and got a message of this number not in service. I cancelled my credit card for a new one just in case the .26 cents was to explore if posted ok and then after who knows what will be the charge.

What is frustrating is that we are always in the defensive side something has to be done to stop those thieves.

Nov 24, 2008

I was charged .22 this weekend 11-21-08 and had to take action. No one answered the phone number at [protected]. I have called the local radio hot line in Boston MA so they might focus their attention on this. Some of the comments posted on here are very similar to my experiences; no news on TV or Radio and the bank was unaware.

Nov 24, 2008

I saw a $.21 charge on my account this morning, and called my credit union to cancel the card. The credit union said that the company was coming up as a pet supplies company. I saw another message board that said their bank told them it was a DVD rental service (like NetFlix). How bizarre! If this kind of charge comes up on your statement, make sure you flag this with your bank or cu before this "company" tries for a larger withdrawal!

Nov 24, 2008

I just got a charge of $0.22 on my card. I am calling my bank now.

• Au
      Nov 24, 2008

I was online, checking my bank account this morning and also realized I was charged $0.23 on 11/21 by Adele Services. I've never heard of this company, so I called my bank (Wachovia) and they told me to call Adele Services directly at [protected], which I did, and it was a disconnected #! So I called the bank back and they filed a dispute for the amount charged, and are going to issue me a new card. What a pain in the rear!!
    I recommend everyone apply for a NEW card, since who knows how much more $ these scammers can unknowingly take from us!

• Ga
      Nov 24, 2008

Do we all have anything in common? Online shopping at certian sites, online poker, same banks, etc... Same thing happened to me this morning, an un-authorized .25 charge. My bank told me it was run in New York over the weekend, I live in Alabama. How is "Adele" getting all of our info?

• Au
      Nov 24, 2008

I can't figure out this happened either, since I haven't made any out of the ordinary purchases in the past month - I've just used my card at the usual stores (not online) that I shop at.. Most of my online bill pay transactions occur through my checking account # (not my actual debit card).. so I'm stumped!

• Ry
      Nov 24, 2008

Happened to me, too!! File a complaint with the FBI so they can track this. It has happened to ALOT of people over the weekend.

Complaint website:

Other people it happened to:

• Sh
      Nov 24, 2008

I, too, received a $.22 charge from Adele Services on November 21, 2008. I'm about to dispute the charge and close my check card. The bank says it's a Pet Food supplier surcharge. Which leads me to think maybe they got my cc# from a pet store?
    And since it's all over, it has to be a big chain.

So, has anyone else bought from the following companies lately: Drs. Foster and Smith, Petland, PetSmart, or Flint River?

In any case, they have our number and it's a scam. Most people aren't going to blink over this small of an amount. I've read any where from $.20 to $.29 ... and I think they're betting on the fact people won't challenge it. We need to STOP them!

• Ka
      Nov 24, 2008

the same thing happened to me over the weekend - $.25 charge. I hope we can get to the bottom of this. It just showed up on my account over this weekend.

Nov 24, 2008

Well, happened to me too and I'm in Dallas, TX. I am diligent about balancing my bank accounts, so this $.22 charge from "Adele Services" was an immediate red flag for me this morning. To whoever thought maybe we all used the same pet supply store, I don't even have a pet... So, no, I don't think that's it. The only online purchasing I've done is with Amazon -- anyone else?!

When I called BofA to dispute/cancel my card, the individual at corporate HQ groaned... She had already heard from a handful of others who reported similar, fraudulent charges. I went on to visit my local BofA branch to make sure everything done over the phone was legit (my mind got the better of me and I had to be sure that the three folks I spoke with over the phone weren't somehow associated with Adele... I watch too many movies!). Anyway, they hadn't heard anything locally but there may be more reports of these charges to come.

Happy Thanksgiving to us.

• To
      Nov 24, 2008

Add me to this long list of unhappy people!! I just checked my Chase debit card statement online and noticed a $0.26 charge to my account and am on the phone now with Chase customer service to get this disputed.

• Ro
      Nov 24, 2008

Same here, they took 26 cents from my account. Heck I loose more than that in my washing machine when I do laundry but I did not authorize this so I am pissed.

• Ro
      Nov 24, 2008

So after calling my bank- Navy Federal- I was told that since the amount is so low they cannot even file a fraudulant claim- they did refund my 26 cents- woohoo, the lady told me that there are companies that do this knowing they can get away with it and if they are caught it is only a slap on the wrist since each individual amount is low- even if they steal millions.

• De
      Nov 24, 2008

$0.26 on 11/20 charged to my Visa Check Card. Cancelled Card & filed for refund of charge.

Nov 24, 2008

Same here. Hit on 11/21/2008 with a $0.21 charge by Adele Services. Bank is Arvest and they are closing card and issuing a new one. Their fraud department knew of the incident before I did, because they left me a voice mail to call them back about the charge to verify it with me. I have also filed a complaint on the FBI web site along with the URL of this bulletin board as evidence of others affected. None of us seem to have anything in common. Different banks, likely not any similar purchases like Amazon or a pet store. I don't have a pet. Makes me wonder if the VISA network was compromised.

Are all of us VISA credit card or debit card users???

Nov 24, 2008

Yes, mine was a Visa Debit Card. And on other chat boards, I see others refer to their cards, either credit or debit as being Visa.

Nov 24, 2008

Mine was VISA, Steven. I wonder if that was what was compromised. I keep thinking of other national chains that I had recently shopped at as well - Walmart, Target, Kohl's... definitely no pet stores, but I did order a book through Amazon a couple weeks ago. (I had used my MasterCard for that transaction though, and nothing has occurred on that account luckily.)

Nov 24, 2008

Adele services must have had a very busy weekend. I too was charged 24 cents on my credit card. My bank ( Wells Fargo) already knew about Adele when I called them to question the charge. They canceled the card immediately. I suspect Amazon.com is the common denominator is this, as this is all I use this card for.
    I called Amazon, in this case India, and was assured that it was not them. Seems to be a standard answer in this type of fraud. I told the idiot that I suspected Amazons data base had been compromised but I don't think he knew what a data base was.

Nov 24, 2008

My guess is that the VISA network was hacked... and that it has nothing to do with where anyone shopped online or offline. All of your info is stored by VISA... so if they were hacked, that is millions of customers' info there for the taking. The pet store stuff was probably fake like the phone number. The banks are telling us they do it as a test to hack even more from our accounts, and that could be true if it were an amateur with one stolen card number. But this is pro. Think about it. If they took 21 cents from 1 million people, that is $210, 000. They are counting on many people not ever disputing such a small charge. I would bet my stolen $0.21 that VISA was compromised.

Nov 24, 2008

Same thing happened to me. .25 charge. I called wachovia and was told to call adele services and that I must have done something to authorize this charge. I explained that it was happening to a lot of people. They gave me the [protected] number and of course it was disconnected. I called wachovia back to dispute the transaction again and now will have to get a new card. What a pain in the rear.

Nov 24, 2008

If Amazon was hacked, they would have Discover and Mastercard victims too. The common denominator seems to be VISA.. hence... the VISA database. It has happened to both VISA and Mastercard before.. in fact.. less than two years ago it was all over the news that Mastercard was hacked.

• Te
      Nov 24, 2008

Can't be Amazon. I haven't ordered anything from Amazon in over a year and my account was hit for .22 on the 21st. My bank didn't know anything about the charge and told me that I would have to file a police report to dispute the charge or just to keep an eye on my account to see if anything else happens. That was before I read all of these posts!

• Ab
      Nov 24, 2008

Yup, same thing with me... 21 piddling cents ... on account of which i just had to close my debit card and get a new one, right before the holidays and the need to get my boarding docs w/ the card i purchased the tix with.

Nov 24, 2008

Same here, i got a charge of 23 cents. I called Wachovia and cancelled my card after reading the posts here. The Customer rep told me to contact the company (gave me the toll free number).

• Ci
      Nov 24, 2008

What is going on? I just happened to log in to check my bank balance and saw the $.24 cent from AT Adele Services, and the phone # is not valid either.

BofA was more than happy to give me back my $.24 cents though!

I told him about this blog and how many other people were "finding" this also on their accounts.

He had me cancel my card and get a new one issued.
    Bummer, just in time for Christmas Shopping Season! :( Argh!!

• Ni
      Nov 24, 2008

I just looked at my bank account and found 25 cents taken out for ADELE SERVICES ..Like everyone else not a large amount have not heard OF them and the phone number is not in service..25 cents was posted to my account on 11/21...Bank was not helpful ...HOPE THIS IS NOT A SIGN OF OF A LARGER AMOUNT TO BE REMOVED!!!

Nov 24, 2008

I'm a victim as well... had a hell of a time with Bank of America about it. They were obviously annoyed I wanted to go through the hassle of changing my card for only $0.24... but I'd rather not take a chance. Who knows if they are just testing a bunch of numbers to see which ones will work...rather take care of it now.

Nov 24, 2008

P.S. My card was a Mastercard...not a VISA.

• Ka
      Nov 24, 2008

i too was scammed for .26 on 11/20. i called chase and they told me to call 1-800# and it is disconnected. chase is reversing and am having them send me a new card. this is terrible - this could have neen worse.

Nov 24, 2008

I was charged $0.21 from that place this weekend and my bank had to cancel my card... Who are they and what's going on? Is there anything we can do about it?

• Mi
      Nov 24, 2008

I too have Mastercard...not Visa. Was scammed $0.23 on 11/20. I also got attitude from my local credit union when I asked to cancel my card over a measly $0.23. With Christmas only a month away, I can afford to take a chance that it won't happen again, possibly for much more.

• Rn
      Nov 24, 2008

I also join the list of victims. I live in Dallas, TX. I complained to the FBI site mentioned in the forum.

• Na
      Nov 24, 2008

hey Guys dont be upset, it's only $0.21, they have to make a living too... I'm just PLAYING... i also realize they took $0.21 out my account... im going to dispute the amount and get a new card... Happy Thanksgiving !!!