Acuvue/Oasis / Severe Eye Damage from Acuvue

San Diego, CA, US Review updated:
Phone: 6194231175

I just bought a brand new case of Acuvue Oasis contacts, on the first day I was experiencing eye irritation, very minor. I properly removed the contact from my right eye and experienced an excrushiating pain, when to the hospital to find out that the severe pain was from a corneal ulcer in the middle-left of my cornea, after days of severe pain, the doctors have considered me thier main case and informed me that once i heal i will have a permanent scare on my cornea and will require laser surgury. All this from one stupid contact. I demand some compensation for my pain which is still going on right now.

Acuvue/Oasis
Acuvue/Oasis

Comments

• Sh
      Aug 24, 2009

corneal ulcers are caused by more than just contacts.
    Just some of the causes.

◦Bacterial infections cause corneal ulcers
    ◦Viral infections are also possible causes of corneal ulcers. Such viruses include the herpes simplex virus (the virus that causes cold sores) or the varicella virus (the virus that causes chickenpox and shingles).
    ◦Fungal infections can cause corneal ulcers . Also the overuse of eyedrops that contain steroids.
    •Tiny tears to the corneal surface may become infected and lead to corneal ulcers. These tears can come from direct trauma by scratches or metallic or glass particles striking the cornea. Such injuries damage the corneal surface and make it easier for bacteria to invade and cause a corneal ulcer.

And simply from running your finger across your eye and not washing your hand first.

Perhaps you should take some responsibility instead of blaming the contact company?

• Hr
      Sep 10, 2009

Yes, I understand that infections come from many of places etc...
    However, I too have had a terrible time with Acuvue Oasis and have had very similar problems as the last poster since wearing these..Corneal Ulcer, alot of antibiotics-steroids and I must say I do not think this mess would have happened if I hadnt tried Acuvue Oasis..I always felt as though something was in my eyes...I would clean out the inside corner contantly with my finger...When your driving and feel something there, Its only human nature to put your finger there to wipe out any little object.you want it out...
    I would have a sticky tiny fuzz come out as if it were a Q-tip hair and it was LONG...sometimes 2 or 3 inches long and very slimmy...
    Acuvue Oasis suck!!!
    Acuvue 2 RULE!!

• Hr
      Sep 10, 2009

Oh yeah...another thought here...The Company of Acuvue Oasis should be held liable..I feel that the direct trauma to my eye was caused by the rubbery slim that melts off the contact making my eye irritated and scratchy...
    Terrible silicone...

• Bn
      May 29, 2011

I also had the same scenario, the smart ### that wrote all that about causes of ulcers, well maybe you need a horrific blinding scar, wonder if your going blind for months, end up not being able to wear contacts again and look at a scarred eye everyday.
    Johnston and Johnston want to avoid their part. another big company taking advantage in a suck economy where consumers trust them and they are at their mercy because the company has all the money and power to lie.
    take that you liars at J&J

• Mi
      Oct 05, 2011

I've worn contact lenses for 30 years (CSI Daily Wear) and I have NEVER EVER had a problem with them. It's just that my Ophthalmologist recommended that I try Acuvue Oasys for greater oxygen flow and comfort, and the fact that CSI discontinued their lenses. I agreed to try them and at first I was very happy with them because they were so comfortable. I ordered a set of 6 lenses. About 3 weeks later, I had what I thought was an eye infection. The symptoms were teary eyes, a discharge, inflamed lids. When I went back to my eye doctor, she insisted that I had allergies. I've NEVER had allergies in my life, except on the West coast and that's why I can never live in CA or Oregon. She prescribed Patanol drops, which did seem to make it better as long as I used the drops every single day. But it was the feeling of a foreign body lodged in my eye that irritated me the most. On some days, the pain is excruciating--almost unbearable. I kept thinking I was doing something wrong...dirty hands, the house was dirty, mold in the house...etc. I was just MISERABLE for 6 months now. I was even afraid to look for a job knowing that I wouldn't be able to drive to work, or even read what was in front of me. I have stopped wearing them and now wear my glasses. But I wonder what type of damage has been done and whether it's permanent.

My eyes were almost scarlet and the veins were bulging. It felt like I had an uncontrollable Staph infection in both eyes. I read somewhere that this could lead to BLINDESS. That's when I said, enough of these lenses. Yet, I didn't think that Acuvue would market a lens that was so dangerous to my health. I assumed (and made an a$$ out of myself) that clinical trials would have been conducted before they were sold to the public. I am very upset because it has ruined my health.

• Ba
      Dec 08, 2011

I have the same problem! I have a severe irritation from light and i can't put any pressure on my eye.

• El
      Aug 29, 2012

I have had the same problem with Acuvue Oasys. I have worn contacts for over 14 years and never had an issue. My eye doc recommended Acuvue Oasys because he thought they would be more comfortable. After one month of wearing them (and experiencing the same discomforts described here) I developed a corneal ulcer in one eye. It took about 3 weeks total to recover and be able to wear lenses again. 3 months after that (now) I currently have developed another corneal ulcer in the same eye. After doing online research I truly believe they were caused by Acuvue Oasys lenses. My eye doctor has said that if it happens again he will recommend that I NEVER WEAR CONTACTS AGAIN. I am switching back to my usual Baush and Lomb Toric lenses and I'm betting I won't have issues again. It's upsetting that so many other people have had the same problem - because of the scars I now have on my cornea my vision will never be 100% again.

• Ni
      Nov 12, 2012

What I found on my Acuvue Oasys contact lens. Worrying!

Mar 03, 2013

I am on my second corneal scratch from what I think was caused by these contacts. Even more now after reading a few different blogs. It's upsetting. I've worn Acuve for nearly 3 years. Scratch corneas in Dec. and my dr wasn't sure how. Once healed I put my contacts in again. A week ago felt blurry etc and find I've scratched them worse this time and now the dr feels its the contacts etc. I paid way too much for my med eye drops. But seriously. This was scary. I don't want my eyes ruined due to an issue with these particular contacts... It bugs me. Also I don't know what other lenses are nice and breathable to replace these with.

• He
      Jun 09, 2014

I HATE Acuvue Oasis! I bought them thinking they would be more comfortable, WRONG! Like mentioned above, they feel like grit in your eyes from the moment you put them in. Also, they won't last for any length of time because when you open them for the first time they are either A. stuck to the top of the container so you think they are missing (or) B. folded in half!! It is such a rip off! I will never buy them again!!! What a disgrace! I agree, GOOD LUCK SUEING! I hope you win win win!

• Li
      Dec 06, 2014

I am having the same problem. I cannot believe that it is the contact. I have been wearing contacts for years. I do not know if it is the batch that I got this time around but it is really bad. I feel my eyes are damaged now. They are red and irritated. I continuously have horrible irritation and pain. I haven't worn them for over a month and the damage to the eye seems to e continuous. I want to know if there is something I can do because the contacts are to blame. I have been a contact user for over a decade and I know how to use them correctly. This is a contact lenses issue not me being irresponsible and I feel I will never be the same now! Please email me with any information. I also have pictures of the damage it has caused. [protected]@yahoo.com. Thank you!

• De
      Feb 25, 2015

I have the same problem, can not see during sunlight. I have pain and tearing up constantly.

• Hy
      Oct 06, 2015

I have used Contact Lens' since 2004, Acuvue Advanced, Oasis, 2 & 2 Colors, and plus. in August of 2014 I stated to experience severe redness, irritation, dry eye, inflammation, severe light sensitivity in my eyes with my Acuvue 2 soft lenses and my Acuvue 2 colors soft lenses . I had always used them as directed, never slept in them, nor did I even wear them every day. After this started I would not wear them for a week or so or until it went away, and I would throw out those contacts. When I would use another pair the symptoms would come back after a couple of days. I went and had my eyes checked by a local optometrist, and upon originally looking at them said that he thought that I had Herpes on my Cornea, talk about an, "excuse me, what was that again?" scenario. He then referred me to specialists and MD's at Horizon Eye Specialists. They figured out that it was cornea ulcers in both eyes causing the issues, and when asked how/why it happened they stated that, " at some point when you wear contact long enough, it will just happen.".
    After 4-6 months of prescription antibiotic and steroid drops the ulcers had healed enough for them to be candidates for Lasik Eye Correction and we moved forward. As I am truly grateful that it was caught in time and I have no permanent damage and now perfect vision, this issue that "just happens" cost me close to $7000.00 when all is said and done. I Want Some Restitution.

If there is anyone that is brave enough to move forward with a class action lawsuit I want in. I have read through close to a thousand similar issues on web sites, and nobody is doing anything about it, but there was a class action suit against J&J about pricing... seriously. Someone Please help us all.
    -S.Davis
    [protected]@yahoo.com

• Ki
      Feb 01, 2016

I too have suffered a severe corneal ulcer from the direct use of contacts - I never had an issue in the prior 20 years I wore them, until now. I had to undergo treatment for over 6 months; oral and liquid steroids, 5 different eye drops per day ever 15 minutes for one week, then every three hours for a week, then three times daily for 8 weeks, followed my months of drops, doctor visits, and numerous procedures. I am now in need of a corneal transplant. I have lost over half of my vision, can not wear contacts, and must still deal with the after effects. I am infuriated. The amount of money, time, and unbelievable pain I have been through due to the contacts is inexcusable. After reading the posts, I am not the only one. If anyone can help, or provide legal information please contact me
    [protected]@aol.com

• At
      Mar 13, 2016

I have been wearing contacts for about 40 years now. Last year my eye doctor suggested the Acuvue oasis hydro clear plus. I have used Acuvue in the past with no problem. I have not been able to wear them but for a few hours, I start feelin as if contact is folding inside eye and soon after mucous starts coming out of eye. My eyelid feels very itchy and inflamed. I went through 6 pair in as many days. I have been wearing glasses which I hate doing, I need to be able to see I cannot rely on these contacts. Decided to try the laser surgery maybe I won't need either.

• Sh
      Oct 12, 2016

I started wearing Acuvue Oasys in my left eye because I hate wearing glasses. As soon as I began wearing the contact my eye started draining. I cannot feel the contact's presence but my eye stays irritated. Today I decided to try again after about 6 months of not wearing a contact at all. I've only had it in place for about 6 hours and my vision continues to get blurry and my eye feels like its getting "gunk" in the inner corner. I guess I'm going to have to throw out another contact. The ones I have state they're for 2 week use (I believe) but I haven't gotten more than half a day since the problems started. Once I read an article that suggested it was the solution being used so I didn't rinse the contact after opening a fresh one this morning. My eye is giving me problems regardless...

• Re
      Jun 01, 2017

I am having the same reaction my eye dr ordered me the Acuvue Oasys I started wearing them and they were blurry and my eyes felt scratchy and to be honest I felt like my vision was impaired and could not see. This was very uncomfortable I went back to my eye dr who said it was allergies and told me to leave them out wear my glasses let my eyes clear up then try again. I did and they done it again so I took them back and traded them out for a new order of lenses and they too have been doing the same thing now I am looking for something different to use.

• Au
      Oct 22, 2017

Jan 01, 2018

Same experience here. I have been wearing these contacts for 10 years. Got a new year supply Jan 2017 and by May had such bad blisters on the inside of my eye lids I couldn’t tolerate them any more. Months of steroids & drops & expensive eye tests. I will never be able to wear contacts again and I am now forced to have LASIK. When I went in for my consultation the dr asked if I was wearing oasys because she has had so many patients say the same thing. This isn’t right. Help!!!

• Da
      Mar 31, 2018

Add me to the list! It's the worst eye problem i've ever had. Can't wear contacts anymore, period.

• Da
      Aug 15, 2018
    Acuvue - Quality
    Staten Island
    New York

The contact was missing a chunk
    I just purchased these contacts from Jamie Rose Eyewear in Howard Beach.

Please send a replacement to

Darlene Masella
    98 Saxon Avenue
    Staten Island, NY 10314

• Fl
      Oct 14, 2018

My daughter just started wearing these accuvue Oasys, one tore/fragmented in her eye . They where new, she is a germ a phobic, there is something going on in the manufacturing process, and she also reported a mucously slime/film in the affected eye. It appears there is a breach in the integrity of the lens, and J&J needs to be forthcoming and address this on there on accord before litigation initiated.

• Wi
      Feb 26, 2019

Has anyone found an attorney to go after these guys?

• Jv
      Jul 21, 2019

I’ve just recently tried wearing oasys both one with astigmatism and one without after wearing acuvue 2 for years with no problems. They make my eyes super gunky when I wake up, I’m starting to get a vein that’s getting bigger on each of my eyes outward, and noticed an increased sensitivity to light. They barely stay clean and wearable for 3-4 days, and by the second day in I already notice a protein buildup and blurring from protein around lights at night. It’s awful. These contacts suck so bad. I hope I can exchange them. Why did acuvue switch to this garbage? I hate them so much.

Jul 30, 2019

My eyes are a mess after wearing Acuvue Oasys for Astigmatism with hydraclear plus. I bought the lenses late December 2018 & a month later, I noticed my eyes itching more & getting red blood vessels. I thought I had allergies. I also felt like their was something in my eye & couldn’t wait to take the lenses out at the end of the day. I hate wearing my glasses! By the time June arrived, I figured my allergies shouldn’t be acting up but my red vibes in my eyes were getting worse and over the counter eye drops were not helping. I went to my eye doctor who freaked me out and said I needed to see a ophthalmologist because she thought I had a problem with pressure in my eyes. The eye specialist squeezed me in and spent 2 hours looking at my eyes. He said he thought the multiplying red vines were from my contacts! I was so frustrated. I called the eye doctor who referred me to him and she said she can give me new contacts. I have not seen her yet. Today I changed my contact lenses to a fresh pair and within 3 hours, I have a stud on my lower eyelid. These contacts are defective and ruining my eyes! I have 6 boxes left to use and I think I’m going to take them back to the Target Optical to see if I can get a partial refund for new contacts (new brand). I’m hoping these ugly red veins in my eyes will go away soon! Where the veins are forming, it looks like a slimy substance are on my eyes that never goes away. I really hope my eyes clear up by ditching these defective contacts!

Jul 30, 2019

@Amy Fitz Auto correct - my comment should say I have a “stye” in my eye after putting in fresh pair of contacts not “stud” !

Jul 30, 2019

@Amy Fitz Another autocorrect - should say red “veins” not red “vibes” or “vines” !