Acushield Financial / Unauthorized charges!

1 3291 N. Buffalo Drive, Ste 9Las Vegas, NV, United States Review updated:
Phone: 702-8249304

I too was given all the same upfront promises of being 'debt free' and having 'repaired credit' in just a couple years as opposed to 7-10 years filing bankruptcy. (at this point, should have filed bankruptcy from the beginning).

I was only 18 when I started accruing all of this credit, mainly from dept. stores. I lost my job and couldn't pay, so what I was I going to do? I moved back home with my parents to save money. Both my parents and I were beside ourselves with the amount of 'harassment' coming from the creditors, we stopped answering the phone all together. One night my mom brought me in the number for AcuShield Financial dba. Debtco., which she had seen on a tv news show (so you figure, reputable) and told me I was to do whatever I had to do to fix my credit issues and stop the phone calls!

I then contacted 'Debtco.' and got all signed up thinking I would be in the clear soon enough. I was given an astronomical amount they wanted upfront and then I could make $200/mo. (half my unemployment check) payments which would include their $39+ fees. Thousands of dollars later and nothing has been done on their part, my debts all went to collection and then to law offices, who I am still receiving calls from.

It is impossible to talk to anyone at AcuShield and when you do they always give the same answers: they 'didn't know why my negotiator didn't contact the creditor' and 'would look into it.' Over the span of the last approx. 7 years my 'debt negotiator' changed numerous times and I was never notified.

In turn I looked like a fool calling and asking for someone who no longer existed in their world (if they ever existed at all). Trying to recover the money paid out to them has been a complete dead end, especially since I am just now learning they have moved from San Diego, CA to Las Vegas, NV. AND they are still sending me bills in the mail(return address I believe is a PO Box)!

Please keep me informed to any advancements in a class action lawsuit and such.

Steer clear of this accident waiting to happen! Caution: May cause fatality of your credit = your life!

Va

Comments

• Au
      28th of Apr, 2008

I agree totally. This company is horrible. They don't even pay their own bills. So how are they going to help others get out of dept. I work for a company who has invoices from AcuShield that are over 120 days old. They keep calling and calling to get payment. But, everytime they call they are given a new person as a point of contact. Of course they never call back. Deal with this company at your own risk.

• Sc
      20th of May, 2008

I wish I would have read this last year.

29th of May, 2008

Get a fr***** j0b and start paying your debts.

• Ro
      19th of Aug, 2008

I also agree with you. This company took a huge amount of my money starting in April 2006, with the main sales contact at "Debtco" being a "Nicole Phoenix." Suddenly, Acushield is the company doing the so-called "negotiaions." But instead, they kept taking money from me month after month while I started getting sued by creditors. After one year of this garbage, I finally lost my home, had my credit destroyed, and pretty much was ruined. I have had to get a lawyer through my employer's program and do all the settlements myself, which had I done rather than fall for the Acushield promise of making me debt-free within one year by following their so-called program, I would have been better off.

My credit problem was the result of a highly-litigated divorce, and I was desperate for any help after 2 years of never-ending court warfare. When Acushield told me how they could help, and then advised me to refinance my home one more time and use several thousand dollars as leverage into their account while they promised me freedom from debt within one year, I believed them. However, they did nothing, and in the end, returned 2/3rds of my original money after I had to keep asking for it, and they kept over $5k for "administration fees" which really meant they did nothing at all. In the end, I lost all the money I put into Acushield, I lost my house due to the refinancing advise and thier promise, I lost my credit, I had to borrow money from relatives to pay off the original debt that hired Acushield for and then all the additional accrued interest and penalties, which was several thousand more, because I was still sued in the end by the creditors and was hit with all the stuff that Acushield never did negotiate. They NEVER ONCE made calls to any creditor, even when I asked them what was going on and sent them documentation of creditor suits. I am working on suing this company for what they did to me.

For the record, the top owner is a Mr. /name removed/ he is the founder of this company. He was profiled by CBS News on 48 hours some years back for running another debt-scam company under another name, and he was secretly recorded by CBS. You can find it on Google. You can also find Mr. /name removed/ on Google. Do research on this man and you will see he not only has no soul, but he is an outright scammer who takes advantage of people who find themselves at a low point in their lives.

Remember, Mr. /name removed/, President of Acushield Financial, and Mr. Riney, VP of Acushield Financial. These two run the scam.

Stay away from them, and if there is a class-action against these criminals, please let me know. Justice needs be done eventually.

• Da
      14th of Sep, 2008

Did you get your money back? if not let me know I do have a contact name that can make it happen for you

• Js
      30th of Oct, 2008

After a year with Acushield I am in agreement with all the complaints that I have read. I too was just hanging on and put many of my accounts in their havds. Same promises of 36 month pay off with settelments done by them. Well like you all I have paid them a large amount of money only to find that they have taken my money, will not take calles for nogotiations with my creditors and have not updated my account since I sent in my first statements in 07. I am in the process of trying to settle with all the law firms who are threatening to garnish my wages for payment. This is the worst decision I have ever made. All of my accounts have doubled what I originally owed and I do not see anyway out of the mess I made with going with a company like Acushield. Please if anyone knows of a class action suite please count me in! I have not tried to get my money back from them (yet) but if anyone knows how to get this done It would be a big help in paying off those I rightfully owe.

17th of Nov, 2008

I thought I would add to this post. In Oct 2002, I signed up with Debtco and had about 90k in Credit card debt with 15 credit cards, but I was never late with min payments. I'll save the sob story of how we accumulated that much debt, but we did. We agreed to pay debtco $1800 a month and we were told, we would be debt free in 3-4 years and once all the cards were paid off, we would get our credit history cleaned up. The first 2.5 payments covered admin cost and once those were covered, my funds were added to my "savings account". After the admin fees, the only fees that Debtco would collect is 25% of what they saved me. So if I owed 10k on a card, and they negotiated it down to 5k, my savings would pay off the 5k and debtco would get 1000 (25% of the 5k that was saved). After 1 year, my savings was about 3k and they paid off 2 of my cards. These were not deals; these were offers that came directly from Discover Card and Providian Banks. They didn't work for these deals. Out of the 15 cards they paid off, 11 of the deals came directly from the credit card company. More on that later. So after 1 year, I have 3k in savings and Chase was coming down on me hard, they took legal action and got a judgment against me. I came within days of garnished wages, but Debcto got Chase to agree to take payments on the judgment. The judgment was 13k and we paid it off over 4 months. So at this point, we were about 1.5 years into the program and only paid off 3 cards and the heat got turned up. They give you phone logs to fill out and send to this "fair debt collection" agency, who would submit stop calling orders to these collectors. At this point we were averaging about 10 debt collection calls a night and this kept up for 3 years and even though we didn’t answer the phone, it was painful. Also, at the end of year 3, Debtco contracted Acu-Shield Financial to handle customer service and Debtco was shutting down, but I didn't know it at the time. The payment process changed too, they ended up getting 350 a month for fees vs the 25% negotiation fees. When I did the math, it saved me about 1500, so I didn’t mind. At the end of year 4, we had 2 accounts left, with a total amount due around 12K and I had 12K in my savings account. So even though it was a rough ride, I thought it happened in 3-4 years like they said, but it ended up costing me more than they said. At this point, I wasn’t looking for a deal, I just wanted it over, so I instructed them to pay off the accounts in full. After 3 months, I haven’t heard from them, so I called for a status. I always thought their customer service was excellent and I never had an issue with them. I got to a point, where I had one main contact and just asked for that person every time I called. So after these 3 months, I was told, they didn’t know who owned the accounts anymore and nobody was reporting the debts on my credit report. So I started calling companies and found who owned it, I contacted debtco and they said they would take care of it. 2 more months went by and nothing. I called up and they said the collector wasn’t returning their calls. ARE YOU SERIOUS, THAT’S HOW THEY MAKE MONEY. I called the collector again and got a deal, I owned 8k, got an offer 5k and instructed them to pay it off. Another 2 months went by and they still didn’t pay it. At this point I called their former CEO, /name removed/ and at this point, he was transitioning out of this role. But in 3 days it was paid off and he setup time with a lawyer to start a debt dismissal process on the final account, because no one was claiming ownership of it. I will have to defend /name removed/, every time I called him directly, he took care of my issue in days and I called in 5-6 times over a 3 year period. The debt dismissal process took 6 months to complete, but it only cost 3k. So at this point, I’m close to 5.5 years into the program, all of my accounts were paid. My 90k of debt ballooned to a onetime high of 117k back in year 1, once late fees kicked in. So how did I get out of debt? My total amount that I paid to Debtco was 84k - 59k went to creditors, 21k went to Debtco (Acu-Shield), and 4k is left in my saving account. The credit cleansing also started at this time. We put in a request to pay me back the remainder of my savings balance and I was told it would 60-90 days. 6 months later and now 6 years in the program, my credit score is over 700, but I still haven’t received my savings balance. I keep getting the run-around and I keep get bounced to different people. 6 months after this official request for funds and I still haven’t received it. Would I do it again? NO. It was a painful process, I think I would have tried credit counseling first or I would have just started my own savings balance and paid off accounts once the auto-generated deals came in. If you don’t have accounts over 5k, this is a good approach, because most collectors will not pursue collections on accounts less than 5k, its not worth it. Another reason, I wouldn’t do it again, once my asset to debt ratio got positive again, you’ll owe taxes on the “Debt Forgiveness”, this is income in the eyes of the government. So in year 4, I started paying taxes on settled accounts, this cost me another 10k over 2 years and put my total cost over 94k. Also, in years 1-4, I couldn’t buy a car, refinance my house, move or get any credit and we make a decent living. If you are thinking about pursuing this route, do your research, don’t partner with a company unless they have 10 years of experience in the business. Stay on-top of everything, there will be a lot of errors and nobody really cares, so you have to. Be prepared for the harassment and if you don’t think you’ll be able to make a monthly payment for 2 years that covers at least 50% of the total debt owed, call a lawyer and pursue other options. The 50% rule I found, says in 2 years or 24 months, you should be able to save up at least 50% of the total owed. So if you owe 50K, in 2 years you’ll want to save at least 25k or the total saved would be 25k if you didn’t pay any deals. That’s a payment of 1k a month, odds are your min payments are more than that anyway, but it’s a good guideline. That formula calculated my payment, but I didn’t know it at the time. Here is also something to consider, their goal is to make money, if you pay the upfront admin fees (non-refundable) and have to drop out of the program in 6 months because you can’t make the payments, they just made a few thousand for doing nothing. So ask for the success rates - its sad, but the industry rates for folks who successfully complete these programs are less than 33%. That means close to 70% pay fees, don’t finish the program and lose those funds. Good Luck!

• Os
      27th of Jan, 2009

I am also a victim of this acushield and freshstart...yesterday, 01-26-2009 and today, 01-27-2009, , i am trying to call them, 1800-990-9694 and 1 800-903-6252, lines were busy. I don't know where to find them. I've been with the program for two(2) years and they got me good, they didn't even called any of my creditors.

1st of Feb, 2009

I too am at a loss, what do we do next?

Maria G. of Lancaster PA

• Am
      5th of Feb, 2009

Please let me know if anyone has any leads as to what we can do. I'm in the same boat as all of you.

• Mo
      17th of Feb, 2009

I agree. They have over 9k of my money. Anyone know how to start a suite against this company. There are so many sad stories, mine it just the same as the rest.

• Bj
      21st of Feb, 2009

I too have been taken by this company. Another company Global Client Solutions has started deducting the amount AcuShield used to take from me. When I contacted them stating I want all my money returned to me ($5k+) they said they don't have it and my account was setup with them by AcuShield. What a load of bull. My bank will now stop payment on them, but how do I go about receiving the $5+ I had invested with AcuShield to take care of my debt? I have just filed bankruptcy, am a single mother, have 2 children with chronic problems, and have a low paying job. Any money I can recoup from this terrible experience is much needed. If anyone knows what to do here please post!

• St
      8th of Mar, 2009

I've had some success with this company, but I had to basically harass them to get answers. I had to make sure I got the names of EVERYONE I talked to so that the next time I called (which ended up being EVERY day after work) I could ask for them specifically, remind them of what we discussed and asked about the progress. I had to do this every day until THEY grew frustrated with me and started forwarding my calls to the negotiators and para-professionals themselves. I had 4 of my 6 accounts settled. However, one that's left went to litigation and they could only come up with a payment plan that would extend this whole thing beyond 10 years long... should have filed for bankruptcy and been done with it.

I was completely taken aback when I went to the website and saw it had been totally morphed. I tried calling UCANN and Acushield stopped using their services back in November and all they had was an email address, they didn't know any working numbers either.

If anyone locates this company, please share because they still have alot of my money too. Until they turn up, none of my money will be sent to them. Maybe then they'll try to find ME for once. I hope this works out for all of their current clients.

• 4n