Active Periodicals / Terrible experience!

1 450 SW 12th AvenueDeerfield Beach, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 888-266-6617

I signed up for a 2 year payment plan for 4 magazines at $35 per month for 2 years and then I was supposed to receive the magazines for no charge. After 2 years they advised I had agreed to 4 years so I went ahead and kept paying it. After 4 years they kept telling me that our agreement was for me to keep paying unless I wanted to send them a cash out check for over $700. I refused and changed my bank account. They responded by hounding me and my neighbor. They threatened to take the money out of my neighbor's account and to call the police on him. I checked their web site which states an individual by the name of Gregory Orr is the President and CEO. Google also mentions a Gregory Orr of Deerfield Beach, FL who was put in prison for bogus magazine subscriptions and other crimes. This individual was also involved with organized crime. I have had it with them and I'm going to report this to the Southern Florida Attorney Office.

Va

Comments

1st of Aug, 2008

August 2008 - Active Periodicals called my wife and she agreed (a recorded verbal agreement, nothing signed) to a 2-year magazine subscription. She was making monthly payments of $35, for various issues of magazines. About a year later she requested to cancel her subscriptions and was told because they have already paid the full amount for the magazine them-self, it would cost her $435 to cancel. She paid the amount (we have bank statements to verify the payments).and though it was over.

Well the calls kept coming, On July 31, 2008 my wife put me on the phone when they called, in an attempt to clarify why the subscription was not canceled. I talked to a very rude person named “Bob” (he would not give me his surname, citing company policy) Bob informing me that she had 20 month left on the subscription in the amount of $39.90 per month. I informed him that I had already paid $435 to cancel the subscriptions, but he insisted that we still owed. He could not be reasoned with. When I ask to speak to his supervisor me informed me “He was the supervisor” (a supervisor who could not produce his last name?). When I told him we were not sending any more funds, he went on to state “why did we order a subscription that we not intend to pay”. At this point I ask him to stop calling and hung up.

I googled this company, and could not believe the amount of negative posting all with similar complaints, dating back to 2005! (you don’t have to enter the name, just their 800 number, that’s how many there are). How does this company continue to exist, has the state of Florida (or any other) taken any actions?

• Gg
      18th of Feb, 2009

I completely agree, I am currenty fighting against them. They continue to send me magazines I never wanted in the first place and are now threatening to send my case to a "third party". I have found several numbers to call the latest one being 18005537633 for their main number so that I might cancel the account. I got intouch with a female who was relatively nice, however, she started a game of telephone tag with me. She gave me another number 9545707700 that was the number I was supposidely supposed to be able to get in touch with someone to cancel my account. I got a recording that says "Thank You, Goodbye". I couldnt believe my ears, never have I heard such BS its like they are saying [censored] YOU. Its horrible. So my war goes on, however, I have filed complaints with Floridas Business Bureu and the BBB. Everyone should file with the BBB its www.bbb.org

• Jt
      7th of Jun, 2009

This is rediculous! My husband was sucked into this. Now he is no longer allowed to talk to telemarketers. They gave him the same song and dance then the price. He said no and they told him sorry but you already said yes and we are taking your money. Needless to say we were mad. So after we got the congrats paper in the mail he called and cancelled, we even got a cancel notice in the mail and conf number. Now they are calling themselves Publishers and trying to take us for another loop. Today some guy called and said that we already pay them 39.90 a month and he had the gaul to argue with me on these terms. I told him i know my account and there is not a dime missing. But he then recited our card number to me and my name (which i was never even apart of it) and now i am a little concerned. For the past few months my husband has been deployed andthey have been calling my phone, in which i have no idea how they got my number my hubby wouldnt give them that. But everytime i ask for a name or anything they hang up on me. I did once say i was my husband just to see who the company was, they told me and then i told them to stop calling because anyone that would hang up on my wife i will not do business with. But yup they keep calling.
    Just be aware they also call themselves PUBLISHER!

• To
      4th of Jul, 2009

I was duped by these people as well. I signed on to a 2 year subscription with the promise of a 1000 shopping certificate. Well, that certificate never came and they kept charging away.
    That was last summer, this Spring I told them to cancel my account, to which they said they couldnt unless I payed 400 dollars and did the recording thing, which duped me into another subscription as I thought I was giving the details of the current one. When I found out I was paying double I angrily called and accused them of ripping me off since I had given the info to cancel my subscription and not to order another one. The lady, who was extremely rude, said I had to close out the account and pay 350 and only then could they close both, even though it clearly stated that I could cancel the last one which i was tricked into getting within 30 days. When I gave her the info and paid (AGAIN!), I was told that both were closed. Mind you that I had been receiving calls from them EVEN when I had told them to stop calling.
    It is now Summer and all of a sudden, I am getting new charges AND new calls. They tried to dupe me into "giving the current account information again to cancel my 'current' subscription" and thats when I lost it. When I realized they were scamming me I was upset but when I realized that I had new charges, I just about blew up. After trying to explain the situation and them trying to figure out any way they could scam me again, they threatened to put me with a "third party" (collections, i assume) and sue me. My bank is changing my accounts and getting me new credit cards. I am in the middle of contacting BBB and my state Attourney General. I just hope that they try to make this a legal battle. Seeing all of the negative feedback, and how I have been paying for things I didnt receive and they keep charging me and calling me when I explicitely warned them not to, I am going to go to the press and the media with this! This is going to be interesting.

• My
      15th of Jul, 2009

Active Periodicals have called me using the phone number: 954-671-6946.

I believe they are violating the law since I do not have a business relationship with them. They should not be calling me.

My phone has been registered with the Do Not Call Registry, so I filed a complaint with www.donotcall.gov:

"They have called me several times. Most times they disconnect after a ring or two. When I have called back their number, their voice system identifies themselves as "Active Periodicals".
    (I believe they also call from another number: 800-507-9750. I have been suddenly been receiving calls from both numbers.)"

• Mo
      15th of Jul, 2009
    Active Periodicals - Terrible service
    Active Periodicals
    Arizona

I was lured in by an offer of free shopping. When my husband up and left me with a baby, taking all of our money they at first offered to work with me on my scheduled payments. When I fell a few months behind, sending a payment in when I could, I was still receiving harassing phone calls. I called back, only to be verbally degraded by my Account Manager. I called back looking for her supervisor, she was the supervisor. She refused to transfer me to her direct supervisor or manager. I called the generic number and asked for the manager, anyone but the woman whom I'd been speaking with. The manager took the same approach as my Account Manager and went off about my "commitment" and that I had given my word. I explained that I had called 2 months earlier to inform them of my situation. It is bad when even the manager is verbally degrading to their customers. Do they really think people will keep sending in their money when they are spoken to like this. After this next payment goes through, I'll be telling them to send me to a collections agency and to put it on my credit, anything is better than dealing with them again!

• Da
      17th of Jul, 2009

Im the exact same way. They duped me and told me to pay a 245.80 to cancel my order. If anyone needs a statement of a witness I will give it because it is ridiculous how they are scamming folks. I am so mad right now with them, the fake phone numbers, and lies. I filed a report with the FBI!

• Ce
      28th of Jul, 2009

I get a call at 8:00 am this morning and an operator tells me that I was 'chosen' for a $1000 shopping spree that I could use online or in stores, and all I had to do was pay $3.59 a week for this one magazine and I would be getting another 4 free of my choice free. I was skeptical at first, and with good reason, the 'supervisor' then gets on the phone and assures me that they have been in business for 35 years and do this kind of thing all the time. Naturally they require the first payment up-front and want me to relay my credit card number and other information over the phone. I told them I wasn't comfortable doing that, he tried to re-assure me that everything gets shredded after I relay it and that they don't even have pens in the office...right. I ask for the company's information and I get a phone number, some corporate ID (after reading similar complaints, I would bet all info. is bogus), and a company name. So I hop onto Google and search the company name. Low and behold, the top hits are from other people like me who have been seduced with the same promises and later found out it was all a sham. While I still have the 'supervisor' on the phone, and am reading similar complaints, I tell him that all of this sounds too good to be true, and that it probably is. I then tell him that I don't want to take part in anything they were offering, so I guess I'll see if I hear back from them. The only advice I can give others is that unless YOU'RE the one calling to purchase merchandise from a company, NEVER NEVER EVER give out your personal information over the phone. I was tempted with this scam, but am so glad I trusted my better judgment.

I want to thank the others out there who have taken the time to report on this matter, and I hope mine will deter others from falling into this web of empty promises as well.

• 30
      18th of Aug, 2009

Today I received 2 phone calls from Florida to my cell! (I live in California) On the first call, my cell rang, I answered and they hung up. The second call I answered and some lady asked for me by name, I asked who was calling and she replied she was from Active Periodicals and hung up. This person was rude and unprofessional. I don't know how they got my name and CELL number but I immediately googled the phone number and name of the company. After reading of the scams and negative feedback I called my phone company reported the problem and had their number blocked... hopefully they don't bother again.

• Bb
      27th of Aug, 2009

I got a call today from 313-450-1391 it said private name and I do not answer those. When I googled the number I found this complaint board. I am so glad I did not answer the phone! I have written down all these numbers and will add them to a list I have going. I get so many of these harassing phone calls! I bought a whistle and now when they call I blow the whistle into the phone. One number stopped calling for 2 weeks after 4 whistles in 15 minutes but I guess they forgot as they called me again today. Has anyone gotten anywhere with these complaints?

BB

• Ak
      3rd of Sep, 2009

I keep getting calls from this company as well, but the number is from Michigan (313-450-1391) - and they have been calling several times a day. Each time I answer I get put on hold, but then the call seems to disconnect. When I call the number back I get a machine, which seems to always be full so I can't leave any type of message. My phone has the option to block numbers, but it still allows the phone to ring once, which is still annoying - especially when my son is napping.

• Ur
      18th of Nov, 2009

Started an account years ago; never understood that when they called to "check up", they were starting the acct all over again. This was never explained. As I neared what I thought was the end of my payment period, I discovered they had scammed me, and I owed them $685 to make them GO AWAY. Didn't work - they called me incessantly (sometimes more than a dozen times a day). Yes, I'm on the do-not-call list, and I have told them angrily many, many times to NEVER call me again. They sent me dozens of magazines I did not want, and created a huge trash problem. My mailbox was always stuffed with this junk.

When they called on Sept. 3, 2009, I again told them to go away and never call again. A man who identified himself as a supervisor (very hard to understand - heavily slurred words) told me there was a technical problem my acct, and they couldn't close it out. However, this could be done if I signed up for a temporary dummy acct so that he could process the acct closure properly. He promised me not a cent would ever be taken from my acct, and he would be able to "fix things" by the end of the week. I spent more than half an hour going over this with the woman who prompted the recording and her "supervisor", reiterating to both of them that I do not lie, and I was very uncomfortable with this solution. When I asked to speak with a manager, I was transferred back to the man I refer to as "supervisor". After many promises that this was not a new sign-up, I did agree, with great hesitation.

A few days later, I received a letter from them that I had signed up for 4 new magazines - three I don't want and never mentioned, and one of the three I payed completely for in the spring. I checked my acct, and found they'd charged me $41.90. I immediately closed this acct, requiring me to change all my auto-pays to a new acct. I'm still straightening out that mess.

Now I receive frequent calls from their collections. I am again screening all my calls because of them. If I hadn't had my phone number for 30 yrs, I'd change that too. I'm filing this report with as many organizations as I can find, and I want to join a lawsuit(s) against them. They have harassed me endlessly, and the least I can do is cause them as much trouble and expense as I possibly can.

• Jb
      3rd of Apr, 2010
    Active Periodicals - Unauthorized withdrawal

Phone calls morning to night .Harrasing me for subscriptions never ordered by me.They refuse to remove phone number

• Gw
      27th of Sep, 2010

I have been scammed by active periodicals. I advised them that I will be turning them into to my credit card company for fraud and the postal service said since that company involves the U.S. Postal Service they will also charge them with fraud. Please be careful and check everything out before you give out personnal information it is imperative. Thank You, Gwen Hodges

• Re
      4th of Nov, 2010
    Active Periodicals - Scam
    ACTIVE PERIODICALS

So I signed up for three magazines in July of 2008. The money was drawn out of my account monthly. Well I got married in August of the same year. So my debit card that had previously been used was no longer usuable because I had gotten a new debit card since I had added my husband ot the account. Therefore, the automatic draft for the magazines was no longer coming out of the account. I got a bill a few days later saying I owed them $700. I tried calling the number back and all it did was ring unitl and automated message answered saying, "Thank you, Goodbye." Never did I ever get a real person. Since that point this so called "company" has been calling me ever since and will not let me cancel. Do not use this company.

• Ai
      8th of Jan, 2011

Contact your local better business bureau at www.bbb.com and file a complaint with them. You will have it resolved in about a month. Scam companies don't want to be on the radar of the BBB. I was involved in a similar scam and it took two weeks and I never heard from them again and I supposedly owed them $800.

10th of Jan, 2011
    Active Periodicals - Unauthorized withdrawal
    active periodicals,inc
    Kalamazoo
    Michigan
    Phone: 299783933

they stole 37.45 from my account now visa i never even gave them my visa info, i had cxld this membership i was told i would get a 1000.00 gift certificate from wallmart-that was a total lie.i want my money replaced on my visa immediately. it is all the money i have i am a senior on disability who lives alone return my money now