Active Green And Ross / False Estimate for Unnecessary Work

1 777 Guelph LineBurlington, Ontario, Canada Review updated:
Phone: 905-632-7664

I had an oil change done and mentioned my car was acting up when I started it. I mentioned it didn't seem to be the battery the key was just not connecting at all so I was guessing it might have been a connection to the battery or the starter.

I got an estimate for $1, 300 in repairs to replace the battery, rear brakes and all kinds of suspension work. I had already had these same repairs done 8 months prior and my battery was only 2 years old. I was told the garage I went to must have used bad parts. I had also had two tires replaced by Active Green and Ross in January and asked how it was none of this was mentioned then and didn't get an answer. My 10 year old car with 170K must just look like something that would logically need these things.

I let Active Green and Ross know I would check my bills to be sure about the previous work which had cost me about $1100.00 - not including the battery two winters ago. There would have been a one year warranty on the work and for sure the battery was under warranty. Not once was it mentioned anything should have been under warranty - including the battery.

I followed up with the garage where the break and suspension work was previously done. They took my car in on Saturday February 13th and went through the Green and Ross estimate with me for an hour and a half. They showed me every part and even showed me it functioning on my car and other cars on hoists they were working on to further confirm everything was good. They even took apart the rear and front brakes! No seized rear breaks, no need for ball joints, etc., etc. The battery tested 100%.

This garage owner and two mechanics were fantastic. Sadly when I initially called to follow up with them the owner asked me if I had taken my car to Canadian Tire or Green and Ross. I took my car off the road for two weeks for fear of it being unsafe and breaking down! My daughter who just got her licence was put on ice until I could figure out a way to come up with money to repair our only car.

I got ripped off $30 for a battery test but really I was about to spend $1, 300 on fake repairs. Is there some organization out there that can shut this down and fine / press charges?

I've had other sticker shock at this place on two other repairs and now I can only assume I got jacked then too.

The economy is pretty rough but really, exploiting others to profit? It doesn't take much for a single Mom to cough up the bucks to keep her family safe. Nice tactic.

Comments

• Ec
      28th of May, 2009
    Active Green And Ross - Sabotaged Car
    Active Green and Ross
    149 West Drive, Brampton
    Brampton
    Ontario
    Canada

Took my car in for an oil change on Monday. Had problems starting it on Wednesday. Won't start at all Thursday morning. Radio works so it's not the battery. Last time I took it there for tires, I also experienced engine trouble within a few days after leaving.

21st of Nov, 2009

Honestly, I am sure they have better things to do with their time than sabotage cars

• Ro
      1st of May, 2010

these guys are well known ripoff artists. The owners are two young kids who have obviously been taught to steal since a very young age.

• Ke
      10th of Nov, 2010

All Active Green and Ross are like that, just are set up as cattle runs looking for money and do not provide quality service or lie and do not do the job being over paid for! I had the one in Toronto at Sheppard Ave and 404 tell me my rotors where warped (there was an issue with them) and they needed to be replaced. A year later I was still having issues with the brakes and took it to a local garage. They showed me the rotors and they had been grind down to try and fix them, not replaced as they had charged for. My brakes are great now thanks to Spiros and Sons. I had also gone to the one on Victoria Park for an oil change, they said I had to replace the air filter also. Well after they had not replaced the oil cap and oil had sprayed all over my engine, plus they removed the air filter and did not put anything back! They are the worst of the worst, never go there!

• Fu
      21st of Apr, 2011

I went to the Active Green and Ross on Sheppard near the 404 today just for a routine Oil change and did not ask for anything else. Just as many others warned me, they did in fact call me during the day to try and scam me by telling me that my brake line was dirty and brakes were worn out along with an air filter. I have not had any problems with these items at all for a long time. My brakes are working fine and no issues with my brake fluid as I just had my car looked at by another mechanic a week ago. I told the guy that I would only have the oil change done and have the other issues looked at later. I paid cash for the oil change and left. I will never go there again.

• Fu
      21st of Apr, 2011

We should not assume that all locations of Active Green and Ross are rip off artists. There are two good locations, the downtown location is good and the one in Markham on Highway 7 is pretty good too.

• Cl
      21st of Jul, 2011

i go to sheppard and 404 all the time they are very nice honest people they are alway busy, i have no issue with them maybe the guys complaining on this board dont know how a car works and should educate themselfs more and then maybe you guys would understand

• Cl
      21st of Jul, 2011

also im a mechanic for 30 years and worked at numberous dealerships and brake fluid is supposed to be changed every two years or by when the dealer suggest's by time regardless if your brakes are working fine or not

• Je
      15th of Dec, 2011

I wud say it all depends on which lcoation...cuz i guess every store is been run by a different management so i bin thru this experience in London as well however the active green on york street seemed the BesT 1! They always showed what was needed and they actually divided up their inpection in to 3 steps : Good, Suggested and Required... their prices seemed really reasonable ..I woke definitely say their worth a try

• Gr
      16th of Dec, 2013

I went the green & ross located at 2805 Dufferin Street, Toronto and got a very bad experience there.