Across America Moving and Storage / Price gouging and ruined furniture!

1 115 Sprouse Town RoadWeaverville, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 828 -658-9342

My Wife and I moved from California to Weaverville North Carolina and we Hired Across America Moving and Storage to handle our move."What a mistake". The movers showed up and said the weight was over and the price of seven thousand went up to eleven thousand.This we were told was a binding price. When the truck arrived at North Carolina the driver told us he could not get his truck to our house and it would have to be shuttled in a smaller truck. This would cost an additional seventeen hundred dollars, even after we were told we had a binding price. The people hired, four additional movers. Three could not speak English and I suspect were illegal immigrants.After paying the Driver the additional seventeen hundred dollars the furniture was unloaded. But wait it gets even worse. Ninety percent of the furniture is ruined. It seems the truck roof was leaking and soaked our furniture. My Wife had some antiques and they are trashed. I am going to contact The Attorney General of California and ask for help in putting these crooks out of business.

Comments

• Va
      20th of Dec, 2007
    Across America Moving & Storage - Scam and cheating!
    Across America Moving & Storage
    7624 Varna Ave
    North Hollywood
    California
    Phone: 866-668-3480
    www.123movers.com

We chose Across America because they guaranteed delivery on 12/16/07 which was when we moved into our new place in New Jersey. We had to move from California to New Jersey as I was laid off from my job and found a new job in NYC. The movers emailed me 4 days prior to delivery to say that due to weather they were going to be delayed. We asked what the guarantee meant and they stated that since they were late we would get $25 for each day they were late.

So in the meantime my kids are sleeping on the floor. We have no furniture or any of the toys. All of our Christmas gifts are in that truck. When I called them they said it would go directly from where they were stuck because of weather to our house. He was in Texas at the time.

Well, I called the driver and he stated he was in North Carolina on another job on 12/19 and still had to go to Maryland before he got to us. It is now getting to about Christmas time. We have no tree, no gifts for my kids, no place even to sit because of this company and they have now conveniently began to stop returning our calls. I don't have the money to go out and buy new stuff while waiting for our truck full of stuff to arrive.

When we went with these guys out of all quotes we received they were the ones who said we would be the only family who had stuff on the truck and they would go from there to here direct. Hasn't happened. This is on top of the fact that they gave us a quote and of course when they got to the house they said our stuff was way over weight and we were going to have to fork over an extra $2000. My wife wanted proof of the weight because we knew it was not as heavy as they said. So they went to a weigh station and it was less than what they stated as we had thought.

So we are sitting in an empty house going on a 5th day all because we went with a company that guaranteed delivery on a certain day. Stupid me should have done more research on this company because from what I am reading about them, they are as bad as they come. This is not just horrible for me, but I have a 3 and a 4 year old who have hardly any toys to play with and probably will have no toys under no tree. This stinks beyond believe.

• Le
      31st of Jan, 2008

I had the same experience, damaged furniture, leaving furniture in road as they couldn't move it in. increasing the price. Movers that could not speak english. some furniture not even arriving.

Constantly calling them to ask where it is, noone would call back. They were all rude and unhelpful.

Total CROOKS! NEVER USE THEM THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF!

• Pa
      11th of Feb, 2008

My wife and I used them to go from San Diego to Illinois in the summer of 2006. They threw hidden charges at us, delayed delivery, tried to run over my father in law when we would not pay the extra money they demanded in cash at delivery. Claimed we were overweight however they would not show us anything from a scale. Once we finally got things off the truck we were missing items and had damage to many items. After reading other comments about this company we feel we got off lucky. We understand we have two years to file against them, and are hopefully going to file this spring. Let us know how it goes with your case if you file as well. And pass the word not to use this company.

• Ni
      15th of Jul, 2008

we have a similar compliant about this company . We moved from san diego to foster city ...they increased their prices stating that our stuff is overweight ..they charged us with an absymal amount . We got our stuff late, part of the furniture was missing ...they are big liers n crooks . They promised that for the damaged stuff they will reimburse $ 500 but till date there is nothing from their side ...i have been chasing them for a month with no result so far ...the company should be shut down ...they are robbers who are stealing openly .

The staff is unhelpful, rude n full of liers

14th of Jun, 2009
    Across America Moving & Storage - Scam and cheating!
    Levi Enterprises Inc
    16000 BLYTHE STREETVAN NUYS, CA 91406
    Van Nuys
    California

Moving Nightmare.

Initial low-ball estimate.
    Price increase at time of pick-up.
    Failure to provide information / booklet required by law.
    Failure to notify customer of subcontractors involved in moving goods interstate.
    Failure to notify customer of delay.
    Moving delay of 6 months.
    Price increase at time of delivery.
    Goods held hostage unless payment of price increase.
    Unprofessional customer service.

14th of Jun, 2009

How did you resolve your dispute with AAMS? I am considering my options and would appreciate any input. Thanks.

• Sc
      26th of Jul, 2009

DO NOT USE ACROSS AMERICA MOVING AND STORAGE for your move. I had a terrible experience with them and would never want anyone I know or don't know to use them. Period. My move was originally scheduled for 8 am. They called twice to reschedule. THe day of the move they were 4 hours late. When we finally packed up my stuff we were stuck in traffic. For a drive that is normally 1 hour and 10 minutes took 3 hours and that means I got charged double drive time of 6 hours. ugh. They were abusive to my things bumping into walls and even cracked plaster on the side of a wall and tried to cover it up. When I discovered it they didn't even try to reimburse me for the damage. We were finally done by 11 pm. When the bill came it was double the quote. They charged $500 dollars in packing tape and hidden costs. They had heavy accents and all smelled like chain smokers. I called to report the experience of my move and the owner really did not care. He was very rude. My only satisfaction is that the movers forgot a very expensive tool set in my apartment which I am NEVER giving back. ha.

2nd of Dec, 2009

To update the continuing scam of this company - my bad experience with AAMS was as recent as 2008 - initial quote much less than quote at time of pickup; delivery = at least 6 months late; use of a third party moving company without notice; at time of late delivery, held hostage belongings while demanding more $; lost/damaged items. Am debating what to do with their insurance comp's offer of $42 appx.