Acer / cracked cover at hinge

United States Review updated:
I purchased an Acer Aspire with an extended warranty. The case has recently cracked where the hinge is. The company says the warranty doesn't cover accidents. This was not caused by an accident, but from opening and closing the computer. It probably would have cracked sooner, but I rarely ever used the laptop ( I worked from my desktop) until recently. I went online to find a repair shop and found that this is a common problem with Acer (cracking at the hinge). The company also says that they do not cover manufacturer's defects. I have written to all kinds of consumer advocacy to help with this problem. My warranty expires in June of 2009. I just want the computer repaired.

Comments

Ge
  22nd of Dec, 2008
I have a laptop Acer 9410 and the hinges are cracked. I called Acer and they refuse to get it repaired because the warranty has expired even though it’s a common problem. Other customers have repaired it for free but Acer said that it is going to cost me 449$ for the repairs. My laptop cost me 700$
I thing Acer they are not doing a good job and they are not honouring there product.
Please give me suggestions
Thanks
Ha
  9th of Mar, 2009
Even I am facing the same problem, I bought Acer Asire series, The hinge broke soon after 15 months and thats the quality of materials they use. When I approached the service center they asked me to pay 8000 rs towards the replacement of the hinge. Even my DVD ROM stopped functioning from the 13th month. for both to get repaired I will have to spend atleast 10-12K, if i invest 5 k more i will get a new laptop. BUt my concern is i bought this low quality laptop paying 45000RS. I did not wanted to pay or not in a position to shell out all mty earnings on this laptop. Please suggest me with the remedy.
Wa
  23rd of Jun, 2010
same thing happened to me, it cracked just after 8 months and they said it was due to accident which is not true at all because 2 of my univ fellows bought the same model and they faced the same problem, i hate acer to the core now.
plz if u guys know how to fix this problem let me know, i have not closed the laptop for more than 6 months now :(

Acer America Corporation Logo Acer America Corporation