Acer Aspire Notebooks / Out of Warranty/Defective Machine Repairs Needed

1 AL, United States Review updated:

Hello,

I am writing to find out just who is interested in a class action suit and who is not on many forums I have traveled to in the past 2 weeks trying to find out what is wrong with my Acer Aspire 5100. I have since discovered that it is a 60% chance that it is the Motherboard, and a 20% chance that it is the Graphics card, and a 20% chance that it is neither of those and is something else.

The problem with the "something else" is that it will cost me $60.00 $200.00 just to find out what the actual problem is. Then it will cost me another approx. $450.00 to fix it if it is either the Motherboard or the Grahics Card since the Graphics card is part of the motherboard which means the motherboard needs replacing either way. And of course since most all of the hardware components are integrated in the motherboard, that 20% chance of being something else is probably going to be something else on the motherboard anyways.

[b]Age of Computer:[/b] 1.5 yrs. (purchased in Aug. 2007)

[b]Symptoms:[/b] 1 long beep, 2 short beeps, does nothing else, will not boot up at all.

[b]Actions Tried:[/b] Searched for almost 2 weeks straight to find hundreds of people have posted on the internet with the same or similar problems, many talking about joining a class action suit.
[b]
Put in a ticket to Acer:[/b] Responded with the -
*pull out the battery, unplug the power cord, hold the power button down for 30 secs, plug the power cord back in, wait for boot up, put battery back in*
This is what most of the posts on forums suggested so I had already tried it, but tried it again just for posterity.
This failed completely as it never booted up.

[b]Acer's Suggestion:[/b] Send it in for repair at a cost of approx. $450.00 as it's most likely the motherboard that needs replacing.

[b]PROBLEM:[/b] I spent $600.00 on this computer less than 2 years ago. I have read hundreds of posts on various forums that claim this exact problem as well as hundreds of posts with similar problems, all spanning dozens of Acer Notebook/Laptop models.

[b]BIGGER PROBLEM:[/b] The posts mentioned above have stemmed all the way back to the year 2005!!

[b]BIGGEST PROBLEM:[/b] Why are we having to pay for a machine problem that is obviously not user error or just a lemon part! This is an ongoing problem that Acer has not bothered to address to fix and those of us out of warrenty for a very short time are basically expected to forfeit not only the cost of the Laptop, but also expected to pay to repair an ongoing problem that shouldn't even still be there!

[b]RESULTS:[/b]
I am looking to start a Class Action Suit against Acer for the above mentioned problems. I am not sure yet how to even go about this, nor do I have any information as to what will happen, could happen, or if it even CAN happen. I only know I am going to look into this matter and start one if at all possible if there is enough support (people also looking to do something about their loss of computer and money invested).

[b]WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP:[/b]
If you are one of the many who have been struck with any of the above problems mentioned or similar to it, then I want to hear from you and start some type of contact list so I have something to go on when I try talking with some lawyers to see what we can do.

Please email me with at least your name and a valid email. If you are uncomfortable giving your ISP or main email, feel free to open a new email account at Gmail, or Yahoo or Hotmail or wherever so we can correspond. I promise your information will go no farther than my contact list and my compilation of information for submitting to a lawyer for proof that there is probable cause for a Class Action Suit.

IF you are anyone that has any ideas on how to go about starting a Class Action suit I would also like to hear from you please. Feel free to email me so I can get this rolling A.S.A.P
[b]
My Name is Jo Ann Rice
My email is kariahnna1@yahoo.com[/b]

Please do not spam me, as I'm sure I'll have enough email coming in for this not to have to deal with spam too :P

Thank you for your time and please spread the word to any other sites or forums or people you are aware of having Acer problems similar to above.

[b]NOTE:[/b] This would only be valid for those of us that are out of warranty, so please if you are still under warranty contact Acer and get it fixed! :P

Comments

• Lj
      14th of Mar, 2009

I just purchased an Acer Aspire One, Jan 1, 2009. Yes, 2009 and it worked 3 wks and 2 days and now will not come on. They had started the game with me. Sending a USB recovery flash drive for starters. I suspect the product is defective! I am willing to go ahead with a class action.

• Nj
      3rd of Aug, 2009

COUNT ME IN!!! I purchased a brand new Acer Extensa 4620Z laptop from Computer Closeouts on Ebay. $585.00! It was made in Dec of 2007, I bought it in April of 2008. Now it is only August of 2009, and the hard drive is bad!!! WTF??!!! Only four months out of warranty, and I have no laptop?!!! Plus, the E (DVD) drive kept disappearing right from the beginning. Would disappear, mysteriously reappear, sometimes gone for months. I finally had to purchase a brand new OS for $256.00 (Win Vista Prem) and reinstall the OS. E drive came back, and stayed for a week, then GONE again! An inferior product, and I'm FURIOUS! I used my Ebay credit card, and will be paying for this piece of junk for quite some time.

Count me in on the Class A action lawsuit!!

ACERS SUCK!!!

• Th
      18th of Aug, 2009

aspire 5920 roughly 2 years old, purchased february of 2008, tried to turn it on today, booted up just fine...after about 5 minutes just turned itself off and now has absolutely no power from the battery or straight from the power cord, obvious issue w/ the converter on the motherboard, acer's reply "pay $59.99 for 15 minutes of tech support over the phone or take it to a local shop" basically tough luck, do a search in google for "aspire 5920 died" you will get at LEAST 10 pages of links to various forums with people having the same exact issue, thats not a user error or a defective part, that an intentional shoddy design, so if you wanna count me in, i am all for it, ill be tossing you out an email as soon as im done typing this

• Ry
      15th of Oct, 2009

purchased my 5100 brand new 2006 during black friday, went to circuit city for HP but they were all out of the black friday special. everything was fine until I upgraded to VISTA 1st thing to go Orbicam there were updates on their sife but the only thing that worked was rolling the system back to XP... another vista update and it was out again. THEN the USB ports (power still there just not recognizing anything) acer said product's out of warrany call and pay for tech support or take it to a repair shop. several days ago using the unit ok things except for the items previously not working(learned to work without them working) power the unit down and come back later to use the unit and KEYBOARD and MOUSE are NOT working...can't use usb ports so connecting anything this way is OUT. Can not restore using any disk AND can not get into BIOS screen...weird thing is the function keys work and I can use the space bar to wake it from something like a sleep status... and OF COIRSE acer is NO HELP AT ALL offering the same pay-phone tech support and taking it in for service. I found a work around solution on a forum involving using PCMCIA notebook card and I am going to try it today HOPEFULLY my card slot is working I never had to use it so I do not know. I emailed you already and have not heard a response, I look forward to hearing anything.

• Pc
      20th of Oct, 2009

While I agree that, generally speaking, Acer's are crappy computers (regardless if they are desktops or laptops) some of you are just pissed about things that are not within Acer's control.

For example, NJKatwoman, a hard drive failing is NOT uncommon, they fail all the time (I've seen them fail right out of the box), and while you may not like that, it's not Acer's fault that they were sold (and consequently re-sold) a bad piece of equipment, could they have bought better stuff yes, but I bet you didn't want to spend the money on a good piece of equipment either.
    Regarding the reload you, you could have easily borrowed a Windows Vista disc from a friend and used it to reload your system after purchasing a new drive and not had to purchase a disc. As long as you are the legal owner of the license, it should work (you may have to jump through a couple of MSFT's hoops, but its worth it).
    Also, if it was having problems from the beginning, why weren't YOU on the phone with Acer every day until they fixed the problem when you started seeing it, this is clearly indicative of either a bad motherboard or possibly a bad drive (more than likely the former).

To ljks1950, if it's under warranty, get on their case and make them fix it or do right by you, grow a backbone with those twits, they're not you friend they are some little twit in a cubicle 500 (or probably 15, 000) miles away and don't care too much about your issues except to the point that they're getting paid to be there.

And RyderWifee, did you bother to do a free upgrade check on the Windows website to see if your computer was capable of being upgraded to Vista BEFORE you tried to just throw it on there? It may not be able to handle it, Vista has some pretty beefy requirements. Though more than likely it sounds like you DO have a legit gripe about numerous components on the motherboard not working, though I would definitely reload with Windows XP to prove that.

I hope you guys win a suit against them, but make sure you have legit issues with Acer first before complaining about it. I've seen a lot in the 15 years I have been working on computers, you'd be surprised a the causes for some of the problems.

• Gu
      30th of Oct, 2009

i bought a brand new acer aspire on aug 24 2009 and three weeks later it went black and would not turn back on. Sent it in to acer repair and waited 3 weeks to get computer back in same condition. Then they wanted me to send back. When i asked to talk to supervisor they wouldn't let me. when i aked why they dont stand by their product they refused to answer. Good thing best buy stands by their warrenty and told me not to send anything to acer and replaced the money even after the return date passed. This is a scam by the acer company to lure poor people and collage students to buy a product that they know is going to brake. I with you on a lawsuit contact me at gunskiller20@yahoo.com.--mike

8th of Mar, 2011

I bought 2 Acer Laptops for my daughters as they are homeschooling now. I purchased them in February of 2010. ONE DAY before the warranty ran out, one of the laptops quit working. Acer repaired it. This week BOTH screens went out..it looks like they are cracked and have a black/purple ink blot on them. BOTH OF THEM! They have not been dropped/damaged in anyway. In fact one of them has a brand new hard drive. Now my warranty is out on both of them. I will NEVER buy an acer again!! Now I am out two computers and cannot afford to replace them.

• Di
      16th of May, 2011

I bought Acer Aspire netbook here in Saudi Arabia last March 2011, but unfortunately when the unit arrive and test run in my home country the netbook already dead-unit it can't be open the system, my sister try to send ACER Center in Philippines to avail the " international warranty" and unfortunately ACER refused; they said the International Warranty of the unit are not there covered, they can only diagnose the unit for free. So finally the diagnose out and they told us the unit have problem in motherboard and need to change, the cost of the motherboard are higher than the cost if you bought brand new one here in KSA. My question is where the " international warranty" goes? This ACER you can't trust when it comes to there product and service. dvojex@yahoo.com

26th of Jun, 2011

I bought my Acer netbook 9-9-2010, less than 1 year ago. I notified them on 5/31/11 the battery would not hold a charge..They notified me it was out of warrenty. I sent them a copy of the reistration page from their site which they said was unacceptabile information. I have now sent them copies of the purchase invoices and upc codes. I still have copies even though I had sent the originals to them for the free offer that came with the unit. A wireless mouse and a protective bag. Did not get those items either. I love the unit for travelling it is great WHEN IT WORKS. cUSTOMER SERVICE IS HORRIBLE. Have a mind to get a permit to picket out side stores that sell Acers as the back to school and holidays are approaching. A suit for breech of contact sounds real good to me right now

• Mo
      27th of Jun, 2011

We purchased our Extensa 5620 from Best Buy in 07 and have already replaced the hard drive twice and now we cant get it to boot up again! And many of you may have noticed that Best Buystopped carrying Acer all together.