Acer Aspire 9410-4933 / cracked lcd cover by hinges

1 Haddonfield, NJ, United States Review updated:

It would be nice to see a Class Action Lawsuit against Acer for their refusal to repair a cracked lcd cover (near left hinge) on their notebooks. Acer customer support only states, "the laptop is out of warranty and they have not heard of this issue."

When researching the cracked cover problem online, it is evident that this is a common problem with many models of Acer notebooks. The replacement part costs $109.00, and you have to do it yourself. This is an Acer design flaw and the consumer should not have to pay for the repair (warranty or not).

Are there any attorneys out there willing to take on this issue?

Acer Aspire 9410-4933
Acer Aspire 9410-4933

Mw

Comments

• Lu
      13th of Dec, 2009

The same thing happened to me. I have had to replace the back cover 3 times. I might as well buy a new non acer computer with all of the $$$ I am spending.

• Ru
      1st of Jan, 2010

I also have the same issue. Have not been able to locate the replacement part. This definitely appears to be a design flaw.

• Ri
      2nd of Jan, 2010

It would be nice to see Acer be more responsible for this design flaw on the notebook computer.
    Mine is the 9410 and it's left hinge has frozen up and cracked the case as well.
    I paid $950 for the thing and it has been good up until the hinge froze up on it.
    I'm still using it with only the right side hinge still working properly.
    I can't seem to find anything that would be practical as far as cost is concerned in trying to get it fixed.
    Acer should be held accountable or else let the news get out that this company isn't very responsible for their flaws.
    The adverse advertising would really make their stock price go down for sure.
    Richard Champion

9th of Jan, 2010

even i have the same issue with my laptop aspire 9410-4317, it cracked from left side near hinges. its very headache to get it replaced, i cant find this part over internet and if i find its very costly. and if it is available in US it again costly to get sipped to India.

• Do
      23rd of Jan, 2010

Would like to know if this issue would be covered by Acer. My situation I had closed the cover, handled the laptop with one hand while holding the laptop in the center (where the web cam is located) gently placed down the laptop on my coffee table then crack. The left side of the top cover had cracked and the vibration was strong enough that hurt my hand for the rest of the evening. Now im in the process of self repairing, found this forum while looking for the left replacement hinge.

• So
      3rd of Feb, 2010

I have the same problem too, but mine's worse - the hinges on both sides have cracked, and the left hinge is actually completely detached on my Acer Aspire 9410. The LCD screen itself is fone. So far I found the part on Notebooksolutions.ca for $115 CAD (I'm from Canada), but apparently they're out of stock for now... It sure would be nice to see Acer take responsibility for this design flaw!

8th of Feb, 2010

I have a 9410 left side hinge sticking and cover cracked right side has a stress fracture i'm afraid to close it.. Also my screen goes white when i do close it.I will never buy acer again and yes i fill they should fix them parts are hard to find expensive because they know there in demand i'm also afraid to try to fix it myself and break something else

8th of Feb, 2010

Pic of mine

• Ro
      15th of Feb, 2010

I relieved to see that other have the same problem I have with my ACER laptop (9410). The left side hinge on mine broke as well and I blamed my son who also uses my computer. ACER should make good on the product defect. I would never purchase another ACER product after this experience. I was also told that the part was not covered under the limited warranty. What a ripoff! Are there any lawyers out there that own an ACER and have had the same problem? We would all love to join you against ACER to get restitution!

• Mo
      18th of Feb, 2010

Those pics look as if I've taken them myself. I've had the bezel/hinge issue twice -- replaced by Acer by company employee connections. This time I'm stuck with it. It's easy to tell by looking that quality was not in the design and parts.

• Mc
      19th of Feb, 2010

I agree with all these posts cause Im looking for partsnow

• Al
      2nd of Mar, 2010

I'm wondering how to avoid this. How did you guys manage to crack the hinge? My Aspire 9410-4933 is used daily for the past 2-1/2 years and doesn't have any damage at all (knock on wood). Did any of you lift it up (even if just a bit) by holding the screen side? I have seen some of the people reporting to me do that and it's so annoying to see employees not care for company items that are assigned to them for their work but don't really belong to them.

• 19
      14th of Mar, 2010

MY HINGES ARE OK FOR NOW. THE PROBLEM I HAVE IS THE SCREEN GOES WHITE. I HAVE TO MAUALLY TURN IT OFF. I RESTART "START WINDOWS NORMAL". IT MIGHT START THE FIRST TIME, THE SECOND TIME OR NOT AT ALL. WHEN IT WILL NOT RESTART I UNPLUG THE COMPUTER AND REMOVE THE BATTERY FOR A FEW MINUTES AND IT WILL RESTART. DOES ANYBODY OUT THERE HAVE A SOLUTION FOR THIS WHITE SCREEN PROBLEM?

• T9
      23rd of Mar, 2010

Exact same crack. No help from Acer service. Can't find available part. No wonder with such demand.

• Ac
      24th of Mar, 2010

i have the same problem with my aspire 9410-2028. the left hinge as pictured above brokeand the right hinge followed. as i type this i literally have to hold my screen up and support it with my hand. i never contacted acer directly because apparently they will charge you for calling their service line. i've had a very hard time finding the replacement parts and when i do find them they are very expensive. i am very disappointed in Acers quality and customer service. i will not be buying thier products again.

• Fr
      28th of Mar, 2010

Replaced mine 3 times...cracked again. Acer pretends its a user issue.

• J9
      31st of Mar, 2010

Exactly the same problem. It cracked around the first of the year. I love the laptop, but this is inexcusable.

• Sb
      18th of Apr, 2010

I have an Acer Aspire 9410-4933; purchased 8-07. I love the computer but have had a different problem than described. The part that I plug the power cord into came unsoldered. I contacted Acer and they instructed me to send it back to them for repair. It was returned to me 6-08. Again, I have again enjoyed using my Acer, but the problem has occurred again (4-10).

• To
      15th of May, 2010

I have an Acer aspire 5810TZ and it has a bad hinge on the right side it broke after only six months of use . I`ll never buy an Acer Again.

• Do
      12th of Jun, 2010

This happened to me a month ago, just decided to check the internet for complaints similar to these. WOW I cannot believe this. WHen mine broke, all-of-a-sudden, when I was closing it, one side (left) jammed, one loud crack and that was it. I've always liked Acer products, now this makes me think twice.