Acer Aspire 5920 Notebook / Screen Flickers (Jumps)

I purchased this hunk of junk back in August 2008. It did fine for about 6 months, then the screen started to flicker (jump). I contacted Acer Support (Technical Support). They know little of nothing about computers. I know more. Anyway they had me uninstall my entire notebook and re-install fresh from scratch. I did so, and still the problem exists. I called them back and told them the problem is still happening, so I sent my notebook in which costs me about $30.00. I received it back within about 5 days saying they checked the bios update. I don't know why, the system bios was already up to date. I guess so they could say they did something. Still had the problem, so I called and was told to sned it back again. I did so, and this time I received it back in about a week. They said the problem could not be duplicated, and no repairs were made. Some technician there had managed however to download several game programs on my notebook, and had scratch the top of it badly. I call Technical support and told them of this, and they just seem to dismiss it, and more or less said it could have been me. They really have nerve. The notebook is still doing the same thing it was, screen flickers (jumps) itermittently. I am going to keep sending it back to them on their dime until they decide to fix it, even if it take 50 times. By them they will have paid more for it than me. Do not buy an Acer Notebook. In my opinion, a piece of JUNK!!!

Ra

Comments

• Bi
      26th of Jun, 2009

I have the same problems with the screen flickering, people on some forums I found whilst checking out the problem have fixed it by replacing or reconnecting the LCD cable that runs to the screen. It is not software based as I have both windows 7 and vista on my laptop, both have the same problem and it even does it before windows starts sometimes.

• Am
      15th of Nov, 2009

MORE THAN 3% OF 5920 OWNERS HAVE THIS PROBLEM. ACER KNOWS WELL. THE PROBLEM IS FROM THE DISPLAY CABLE CONNECTOR. THIS IS MY SECOND ACER AND MY LAST.

• Ji
      8th of Dec, 2009

My 5534 acer does the same thing.They told me to call Microsoft at 129 buchs an hour. Hah!!!
    Any one know how tu repair??

19th of Apr, 2010

OMG! I HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME COMPLAINT! MY COMPUTER FLICKERS TOO! It flickers all the time, the system crashes on a regular basis. Also, every time the screen flickers, my MSN Messenger status changes from online to busy. My battery barely lasts 2 hours when fully charged, and DID I MENTION THAT MY CD DRIVE IS BROKEN!? I've had this piece of crap computer for 1 and a half years. I sent it to acer and after 2.5 weeks, they sent it back today. They did not fix a single thing. All they did was clean the screen. All the problems are still the same. Even though i wrote a letter explaining all issues in detail, they sent me back a sheet saying they found no problem whatsoever with my computer. When i turned on my computer for the first time today, what I did notice is that it had to go through a system restore. Its never had to do that to start up windows for me before. So it seems as though the 'technical support' twits screwed it up even more.

I paid for 2 years extended warranty for this crap, on top of the 1 year standard warranty. What is the point of the warranty when they wont veen fix the many many problems! We were going to buy a brand new desktop acer, but after this whole debarcle, they will never, ever get the business of any person in my family ever again. Acer, you are an embarrassment to the computer industry, and your computer technicians are total ###s!

• Wi
      9th of May, 2010

my acer 5920 was still in warrenty last year when it started to have screen flicker problems then eventulay it went pop altogeather and would not reboot i sent it back to acer under warrenty where they replaced the mother board it came back working fine now 5 months on i have screen flicker again after about half hour after the system is turned on has any one got any ideas what to about this now unforchunatly it is now out of warrenty TYPICAL !!!

• Wi
      9th of May, 2010

any one any ideas on what to do next to get this problem resolved

• Ra
      7th of Jul, 2010

To fix this issue view this video:

• Ac
      14th of Jun, 2011

Acer should do something about this, but they're probably not going to, so watch this:

You'll realise that if you pull down on the cable connector at the top of the screen, the problem is resolved.
    This is likely to only work temporarily, as it did for me - I cant see what I am typing.
    Just don't ever send a laptop to get repaired. The people repairing it are usually knowledgeless, selfish a**holes.