Accounts Recovery Corporation / Harassing phone calls!

1 4240 Glanford Ave Suite 100Victoria, British Columbia, Canada Review updated:
Phone: 800-370 1564

I have been receiving 5 to 7 calls a day from these people. I owe money on a credit card. It started with Nor don collections and they harassed me so much at work, it was part of the reason I was let go when they were bought out. Now Accounts Recovery Corp. has my account and they are relentless. They call daily 5 to 7 times. I explained I no longer was working and they made fun of me and said pay! I said I would send them some money, they said I wouldn't and now they just keep calling. Every time it is someone more abusive than the next.

The last guy I took a call from said he was sending someone to work to send me papers because they were suing me, I told him to go ahead, I don't have a job anymore. He said they were on their way to my old company. Then they called back and left a message saying this was the last chance to pay or their client had advised them to proceed. What the heck do I do? I also asked them to stop calling and only correspond with me through the mail, they said no!

The amount is also over double what Nor don agreed to accept.

Va

More Accounts Recovery Corporation Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• De
      11th of Jan, 2008

Your best bet is to to your local credit counseling service and get credit protection. you need help to get back on your feet, as well as a job, and it is hard to pay the bills when you don't have a job.

If you get sued, you WILL LOSE as you legitimately owe the money!

Credit counseling will protect you from the phone calls and set up a plan where you pay the counseling agency the money, and the agency pays your creditors.

The not for profit agency is the one you want to deal with. This will affect your credit rating but what the hell, it is already screwed up anyways!

• Pa
      15th of Jan, 2008

ARC is relentless. They will harass you every chance they get and I'm not alone in saying they violate the Consumers Protection Act regularly. You cannot talk to them, they are full of lies. They'll flip their stories to confuse and in my case, harass my non-English speaking parents. My parents got so scared and were crying like I was going to jail. They will stop at nothing to scare you and demand payment even if you have no job. They also have a habit of trying to collect on debts that are no longer collectable or even debts that were fully paid already.

The damage is done. They can't force you to pay anything. Write down every detail of your conversations with them and look up the Consumers Protection Act for more info. The more you know, the better you will be to deal with them.

• Jx
      17th of Jan, 2008

They were harassing me at work which directly violates the Consumer Protection Act. I did a lot of research and I sent them an email, fax and postal mail of a letter stating that I do not wish to be contacted via phone, that they can contact me thru mail only from now on (which is your right). I quoted a lot of sections from the Consumer Protection Act and other provincial and national laws and I sent a copy of the letter to the Trade Practices Division of Government Services and I made sure ARC knew about it. They also said they wanted me payroll info so they can garnish my wages (but they cant do that, only credit unions who hold your wages as collateral for something and Canada Revenue Agency if you owe them taxes can do that), they can garnish with a COURT ORDER only. We'll see if they keep on harassing me at work.... I'll update later

• Jx
      25th of Jan, 2008

ARC continues to harass my boyfriend and I about an account for someone we don't even know. It is insane. I continue to tell them I don't know who they are looking for and that it is not us, but they must believe I am lying because they continue to phone. It's not even a person phoning anymore. It's the automated message asking us to return the call with the reference number. We have asked them several time(when it was still a person calling) to stop phoning us, but obviously this has not ended. They call at least once a day everyday. Is there anything we can do about this? It's absurd, and completely unfair.

• Ka
      21st of Feb, 2008

I'm 17, still in high school living with my parents and don't owe anyone anything yet I'm getting calls on my cell phone daily, usually while im in class!! This is ridiculous. My dad has called them to try and sort it out but it doesnt stop!

• Ff
      23rd of Apr, 2008

I have the same issue as Jx Jx. Somehow ARC got my cell phone number thinking I was someone who owed them money. I am not the person they keep calling for. I get automated calls from them on my cell phone every day, sometimes early in the morning. It wastes my minutes and wakes me up. I've told them multiple times before I am not the person they are calling for. This company is despicable. I've never missed a payment in my life, get your numbers straight before you harass people.

• Mi
      2nd of May, 2008

ARC called me at 7am.. Unfortunately Im not the only resident of this house so they wake up the whole house, including a roomate who works nights and is in his deep sleep time @ 7am. I called them up and told them they are jerks for doing that and I hung up. An hour or so later, their Vice PResident called me up and called me a whole bunch of names and said he was forwarding what I said to the Saanich police dept!

I said go ahead!

He called me a 'peon'

He called me a 'lazy worthless bum'

He called me a 'wannabe tough guy'

I owe for parking tickets!!!

HAHAHAH!

I will never pay them now.

• Mi
      2nd of May, 2008

Oh and I forgot to add.. they sent me a bill for DOUBLE the amount I actually owed.. I had to contact them 4 times and get insulted each time, until finally they contacted City Hall and found out I owed half the amount.. NO apology either.

• Pa
      12th of May, 2008

How do you think I feel... I've been fighting a debt for 10 years my school went bankrupt before I was able to get the loan in my hands now they call all hours and don't even want to hear or accept any prof that I don't owe the debt. they gave me an offer to settle which was 2/3 of my annual income to be paid in 30 days. I told them that it's imposible they told me to get a loan, then said "Oh yeah you can't cause your a bum. Try selling Crack or Meth to get the cash." These ###s are lucky that thier head office is 3 provinces away from me or I would park my ### in thier office and not budge. As Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities have learnd I can be tazered 3 times before I'm placid enough to be moved.

• He
      19th of Jun, 2008

ARC is harassing me by phone over a student loan that is under $4000.00 - I paid on this loan for over 10 years. Recently my hours at work were cut to 5 hrs. a day, am also a single parent. They told me they will send me court papers to prove my debt. I told him fine I have everything here. Which I do. What can they actually do? I already owe alot on lines of credit and a credit card.

25th of Sep, 2008

Worse still is they attach a form on their letter asking how much you ear. They called me 4 times today at my new job. Can they empty your bank account . I am scared. I owe university loans. I know but how can you pay loans on 10-12/hour jobs. I blame the government for making the university system a corporation and putting good well to do students in bed with snakes that are the banks. I was raised by a single parent who put all his kids through university on a cooks wages. We were good students who deserved scholarships and a better fate. what did our government do in the early 90's lets let everyone go to university my 85 plus out of highshool was no better than people I knew with a 60 we both went to university and guess what knowing how friviolous and white collar university of guelph is these moprons had parents with connections and got good jjobs with litle work and low emphasis on keeping god grades. It meant nothing because oh we'll give everyone a loan instead, so intelligence/grades work ethic mean nothing. Well it's put me in bed with arc and low paying employers. They bend me over like a good little ###. In summation our system thrives on keeping people enslaved with debt. Ive worked collections and I sympathize somewhat with the agents but turn it around on them most of them owe money too. You can tell. Tell them to not throw stones when they live in glass houses. It'a a clichee., yet the truth shatters your eardrums

• Go
      20th of Nov, 2008

I have been recieving numerous recorded messages over the past 7 or 8 months from a company calling itself "Accounts Recovery Corp". The message state that it is not a solicitation and they have a message for "Someone in the household" but no name is given, only a request to respond to a 1 -800 number and enter a code given in the message. I have had no accounts in arrears until the last couple of months (due to recent economic events and job loss) but I have spoken on the phone to all the creditors involved. There has never been a message from a live person, although in the last one the "computer voice" seems to be
    attemting to pronounce my family name but it just breaks up. I have had no correspondence with this company via any other means I.E. "Postal" nor have I recieved any notice from creditors that my account is being put in the hand of a collection agency.

My Questions are has anyone else recieved this type of call, is it legitimate, should I respond to these calls or is it some kind of telemarketing scam? I recieve these calls 3-4 time per week.

• Ar
      21st of Nov, 2008

Honestly Can't Believe I found this. Pay your bill and the calls will stop, can't pay it, dont think you'll ever beable to pay it? BANKRUPTCY! Just Figure it out people, do something not nothing, a debt doesn't dissapear, has to be dealt with. Best way to deal with it is.. PICK UP YOUR PHONE, talk to the collectors, they are only there to close the files with payment, settlement, or bankruptcy. If its a wrong number, make sure the collector knows that, don't say wrong number and hang up, that sounds like a call screen and I would call you back too! Aswell - if you actually get called 5-7 time a day without requesting the frequent calls then MAYBE you have a case in point, phone your phone company for records.. But Im sure its an over-exaggeration.

Bottom line is the world couldn't operate without collections, otherwise why pay any bills?? If nobody bothered you about your bills or took action against not paying your bills, then why would you pay them?...

• Da
      23rd of Apr, 2009

a r c calls every day over here. i have been foolish enough to send them 400 dollars toward a 440 dollar bill, now all i want is a letter in the mail stating that when i pay them, this will end. I have my bank records saying who i paid and when, but they don't go back far enough to show this debt they claim i owe. so i agreed to pay, in good faith to keep a decent credit rating. i requested the correspondence through the mail in February, it's now April 23 and no mail, I mostly miss the calls because i am away from home a lot, but the times i have talked to them they are pushy but polite, and they blame canada post for the mail issue. one rep (there have been 4) said "we can't send mail out to every file everytime someone makes a payment, it would be a bombardment!" Well instead I am being bombarded by phone calls, seriously considering changing the number. I am recording all calls now, and will forward them to the authorities if I don't receive paper mail by may.

• Dj
      24th of May, 2009

I keep getting harassing phone calls, and I don't owe any money! Someone else had once had my telephone number and now they keep looking for this person. I have tried to contact them several times but they won't give up and there's no one to contact. I would love one of their representatives to get off their keyster, come and knock on my door! They need other methods to try to find the right people who owe money and stop harassing the innocent.

Any suggestions or phone numbers I can call.
    The phone calls come from ARC COMM INFO 1-212- 261-2489 and they claim to be a different company than what they actually are (to fool you).

• Se
      4th of Jul, 2009

arc has a floor of people that they go through like you change your socks. end of the month is worse because they have a quota they have to meet and they are harrassed as you are in making this quota or they will get fired. they have some numbers on autodialer which will call you everyday at the same time...

what to do:

ask not to be called only go through mail
    they must mail you a letter with what you owe first before they can even call you
    they will threaten but if its not a government loan they can't really do much, they could sue but if it's for a little amount they wont
    they buy some of these files from the orginal creditor
    the creditors that ask them to get the money actually will do a settlement
    ARC head office is located in Victoria BC on 4240 Glanford ave
    they have offices in burlington montreal vancouver moncton seattle toronto i think thats it
    if it's not you thier looking for and you get a letter mark it return to sender, its free, it comes back to them they input it into the system as mail return and that should stop the calls, does take time though they get hundreds of mail returns a day

• Bu
      18th of Aug, 2009

these people have recently started phoning and harrassing me. I've told them to quit calling and also stated to them that they have had several reports to the BBB. At that point the guy cut me off told me I was wasting his time. 4 days later I receive another call stating it would be in my best interest to call him back. I have now emailed them to stop calling. we'll see how that goes. they are charging me over 700 for a 600 dollar billl which was a write off for the original company. Unless I get a court order or legal document they will not see a cent. Companies in the stock market can afford the periodic 600 write off and these jerks just want their commision. They do not report to transunion or equifax so I'm not too concerned.

5th of Oct, 2009

I think all of you people need to take a good hard long look at yourselves, thank you Arc-Employee for giving some REASONABLE advice, considering all of these other posts are ridiculous. All you people want to do is DO NOTHING, PAY NOTHING, AND SHOW NO INTENT - if you ligitimately cannot service a debt, PROVE IT - send in a letter, explaining your situation, accompany it with recent PROOF OF YOUR INCOME - do not avoid phone calls, whine about calls to your work, ### about harassment - get progressive, learn about collections law, and perhaps proper financial management while you are at it. Consult a trustee, know your options, consider bankruptcy or a consumer proposal as a last resort. If you are gainfully employed and not servicing your debts, or considering BANKRUPCTY, expect us to talk about legal action, expect us to send letters from our internal and external law firms, expect you to be served with a notice to appear and have to explain your lack of common sense to a judge, and yes, yuo WILL LOSE IN COURT - you have a contract and you are not servicing it, expect to have your income and expenses, assets and history EXAMINED in court, and expect that if you dont appear in court you will be thrown in jail for violating a court order. And for all of those people talking about wrong number calls, why not be just A LITTLE PROACTIVE - write down the name of the person you talk to when you call in(actually calling in is the start) - and if you get further calls, you have the NAME and EXTENTION of the person you talked to, you can ask for a supervisor and politely mention they didnt remove the phone number at your request, and VOILA(isnt that easy?) -

Mike S: your comments are the most pathetic of all, you take pride in not being able to pay PARKING TICKETS?????? collection hours are 7am mto 9pm in most provinces, the first time we called, why not just deal with the matter and avoid further calls???? especially if YOUR LACK OF RESPONSIBILITY both in getting tickets AND in not paying them is causing other people a loss in quality of life...seems like you REALLY need to give your head a shake. Oh and mike, the difference in balances...thats a little thing called INTEREST

Dennis's message at the top of this post is very close to good advice, my only comment to that is perhaps looking into a consumer proposal through a trustee, as its done through the courts and is legally binding, Creditors can deny a credit councelling proposal and still take legal action against a consumer. I do agree though that if you choose credit councelling to make sure its NON PROFIT as some Credit councellors charge fees and some of them are close to scam artists

In terms of stopping people calling you, send the request in writing, if you really want, send it double registered post so you KNOW we recieved it, keep in mind if you take this step and are employed, or own property, that you will likely get a knock on your door from our process server

datasponge: why not make time for your finances like everyone else? ARC has toll free phone numbers, you are saying you didnt have time in weeks and weeks of calls to go to a payphone and dial a number??? hey you DONT EVEN NEED A QUARTER - that excuse is a cop out to the extreme. In terms of requesting a letter, COLLECTION AGENCIED DO NOT SEND OUT REGULAR STATEMENTS, WE ARE NOT CUSTOMER SERVICE - however - we ARE OBLIGATED TO SEND ONE OUT WHEN REQUESTED - perhaps get access to a fax machine(if its public, then arrange to call the collector when you are physically at the fax machine and he can fax you a statement) -

Enough ranting for me, but SERIOUSLY PEOPLE - think pro-actively, if you cant pay, cooperate, and prove it, ASK FOR THE COLLECTORS NAME off the start, and if he gives you a hard time, or is unfair, ask for a manager, ARC records all conversations, and if a collector LEGITIMATELY gets out of line, you have grounds to complain, and the collector will be dealt with accordingly.

5th of Oct, 2009

Oh, one more person to ridicule... buddy holly...are you freaking serious????? DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE TERM BAD DEBT WRITE OFF means??? - it means you couldnt pay the creditor, and they WROTE IT OFF AS A BAD DEBT and sent it to collections. the term "WRITE OFF" in NO WAY implies you dont owe the money, it just means since you couldnt make the payments(oh and what were the payments on 600 out of curiousity, $15/mo?) - I CANT BELIEVE you think that if you stop making payments on an account it magically disappears...SECOND POINT...your comment of, its no skin off the banks nose if i dont pay this back, its only 600 bucks...great thinking, if you ARE COMPLETELY IGNORANT - what if everyone had this mentality...it would make it impossible for any RESPONSIBLE CONSUMER to get a loan, as the bank would be too petrified about everyone just running away, it would drastically effect interest rates, mortgage approval rates AND EFFECT DRASTICALLY all people that have sufficient morality to pay their bills, give your head a a shake and stop being SELFISH and using IDIOTIC EXCUSES that hurt the rest of society

• It
      2nd of Aug, 2017

@Another ARC employee you cannot be thrown in jail for "violating" an order to pay.
    It is the law to notify a person in writing of a collection prior to contacting.
    You sound just like a typical collector, you don't know what you are talking about and berating people in your responses. Just read through what you posted, that is the exact way that you talk to people on the phone. No class.

5th of Oct, 2009

Lastly Sensibleone - you sound like a former ARC employee that was only there a short time, and likely couldnt cut it for whatever reason. Some of the points you make are reasonable, many are incorrect and will confuse people
    1) Send YOUR request for no calls in WRITING
    2) it is not the law that we have to send a letter prior to calling, some of our clients have that as a CLIENT DIRECTIVE
    3) DAMN RIGHT we can do something even if its not government, but you are correct that balance does play a roll, we dont want to incur court costs if its a tiny balance
    4) You are correct, that if you do have a lump sum to put towards the balance that settlements ARE available, and its very likely in your best interest to negotiate(professionally) the best percentage you can get
    5) Ive been here for several years, and make about 22 dollars an hour before commission(as a salary)
    6) lastly, and most amusing...how does sending mail back as mail return effect us CALLING a phone number on a file, i dont see any coorelation there whatsoever - returning a letter as mail return when you reside there is only going to limit you from knowing whats going on, you may just force us to serve you at your job, or a family member, or friends residence - food for thought