Account Control Technology / breach of written agreement

1 6918 Owensmouth AvenueCanoga Park, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-887-2800

ACT stated in the initial paperwork that individuals may not be in a position to pay the

full account balance in a single payment. They claimed to be committed to providing

assistance in determining the best resolution to my obligations. ACT claimed that their

staff was trained to discuss all available options for repayment of my debt. However, I

was only given one option. They were to automatically deduct $140 dollars out of my

checking account each month or they would garnish my wages in the same amount. At no point

did they attempt to negotiate a payment plan which would have fit into my budget or taken

into account that I am a terminally ill individual with limited resources and a low paying

job. ACT told me repeatedly that my loan was just on the verge of being bought back from a

finance company after I satisfactorily made the first nine payments. For several months

following I continued to make payments under the advice of ACT that at any day my loan

would be rehabilitated. ACT recommended that I not consolidate through the department of

education; that it was in by best interest to allow them to handle my account. Everytime

that I spoke to a representative about the rehabilitation of my loan they offerred a

different reason as to why they were unable to accomplish any of the objectives as set

forth in the initial agreement between myself and ACT.

ACT failed to accomplish any of the contractual objectives set forth in the rehabilitation

of my defaulted student loans.

Comments

18th of Sep, 2009

ACT cannot garnish your wages. only the guarantor can. call your guarantor.

• Sd
      27th of Jan, 2010

Let me see. If you have a credit card loan that you fall behind on, eventually it will be settled. Say you owe $5K. You may eventually owe double that amount. But with consumer laws affecting the credit cards, you can probably settle for $2K or $3K.

With student loans, consumers are [censored]ed! You owe an original loan of $10K. With late fees and other penalties that can NEVER be thrown out.

That original $10K bills ends up being close to $35, 000!!!

As the problem is explained in the link below:

"The problem: In 1997, under intense lobbying from student loan companies, The Higher Education Act (HEA) was amended, and defaulted student loans became among the most lucrative, and easiest to collect type of debt. These amendemnts allow for huge panalties and fees to be attached to defaulted student loan debt, take away bankruptcy protection for student borrowers, disallow refinancing of the debt, and also provide for draconian collection and punitive measures to be taken against student borrowers, includeing wage garnishment, tax garnishment, withholding of professional certifications, termination from employment, SS garnishment, and others."

Read more her about how to fight back!

Caller ID: 6613955985
    Caller: ACT Account Control Technology
    Caller Type: Collection Agency

• Ye
      3rd of Feb, 2010

there are many options available. the only loans that cannot be consolidated are previously consolidated loans. however, if you really think about what happens when you consolidate. it is a terrible option to go through. especially since those in default have a "track record" (of sorts) to be in default and delinquent on accounts. with this in mind, if you "fall behind" on a consolidated loan and default again, you basically could triple the amount of the loan you had. So, the options that are normally available to non-consolidated accounts is : Pay off the debt in full and be done with it, make the payments towards the rehabilitation program (which is noramlly a 9 payment over a 10 month period program at a set amount *i'll get into more later*), consolidate the loan, or to have Act suggest, to the guarenteed agency that holds the loan, that administrative wage garnishment is the way to go. (Also, many other government payments toward you can also be garnished due to a defaulted student loan so BE CAREFUL!) Now about the "Rehab" program. It is by far the best program for bringing your account back into a current status. there are many benefiets to the program as well. the program is as i said (under normal circumstances) a 9 payment over a 10 month period program. you are provided ONE skip payment in the program. IF you use your skip payment your consectutive payments count goes out the window and renders you ineligible to apply for title iv funding (this funding is available to people that want to take out additional funds for school if they wish to continue the education). Once you have met the requirements AND have all your paperwork sent in, then the account information is forwarded and the loan is considered for purchase. NO LOAN IS GUARENTEED TO GO THROUGH. However most do. Do keep in mind that the lenders have to have available funds to complete the program and you ARE NOT COMPLETED UNTIL YOUR LOAN IS BOUGHT BACK. If your loan hasn't been bought back yet, then you must continue payments until it is bought back as part of the original agreement that you get into. Now the last thing i'm gonna say on this one. Collection agencies DO NOT have to offer a payment program and every account that is sent to their office is due in full immediately. This is because, on the promisary note you signed to recieve the loan, you agreed that if your loan were to default you would pay the amount off in full at the time of default. So keep this info in mind and good luck to those who do have defaulted student loans. there is light at the end of the tunnel.

• Su
      18th of Mar, 2010

EVERYONE TAKE NOTE: Today, March 18, 2010, I contacted ACT because my loan was supposes to be sold to the originator, Nelnet, on last Friday, March 12, 2010 since I'd finised the Rehabilitation Program in January 2010. They, ACT, first gave me a month of run arounds; first saying I didn't qualify for the program that I'd just completed because the records showed that I'd been in a rehab program before BUT I could continue making the payments to them... RIGHT. After I raised a whole lot of cane and demanded to see proof of the lie that they were stating, they sent me paperwork which verified that I had NOT been in rehab. I called them and they acted as if they inverted a number and gave Nelnet the wrong account before. I guess I am too stupid to know that IF they gave the wrong account number, the name or social security number associated to what they did give would NOT match mine. Finally, I gave read them the riot act once more for insulting my intelligence then they told me that my loan would me sold on the 12th. Well, on the 17th, I recieved a statement saying that ACT was going to debit my account for the amount again. Fortunately, I had a jewel representative, Ashley Salinas who had already fought to make sure that I was taken care of and had told me in February that I wasn't required to make any more payments to them since my loan was up to be sold. The letter that I was going to be debited struck me as wierd so, I took all the money out of account so that the debit would not go through. I did not give them access to my debit account attached to my back so I would NEVER be charged an NSF fee. What I did and advise EVERYONE to do who is dealing with ACT is get a Prepaid Debit Card (I use www.NetSpend.com) and give them that debit card number. If the money isn't there, they don't get it and you don't get an NSF Charge. Another plus with going with NetSpend is IF you have your direct deposit going to them, you typically get it loaded to your card 2 days before payday. ANYWAY, off that and back on ACT. Well, I called ACT to see what the deal was with my loan being rehabilitated to find out that they REALLY tried to debit my account. Then a jerk name Chip threatened that IF I didn't make the payment, I would be subject to wage garnishment by the end of the month. I WAS HOT AND HUNG UP IN HIS FACE!!! Then I googled and found this complaint board. While googling, I was calling NelNet to hear from the horses mouth what was going on. Here is the SHOCKER... NELNET BOUGHT MY LOAN LAST FRIDAY, MARCH 12, 2010 as I expected meaning that ACT had NO RIGHT to even TRY to debit my account. The bigger shocker is that ACT did not give them the correct address for me meaning that I would have never recieved notice from Nelnet that they had my loan and my loan would have started off with a late payment if not Default!!! ACTs notes didn't even indicate that my loan had been sold back to Nelnet; in fact, they wanted me to set up to continue payments in case it didn't get sold at the end of the month. Take this advise: 1) Give ACT a Debit Card Number so you can control the drafts without the penalty if funds aren't there. 2) Find out who they will be selling the loan to after you finish the program. 3) If they give you some BS about continuing the payments, call the loan originator to check the status of your rehab and them buying the loan back. Chances are VERY strong that ACT will string you along as long as they can and take a chance that you won't find out. By the time you do find out, IF you don't do as I am saying to do, your loan will already be late for payment with the originator or possibly back in default thereafore leaving you NO CHOICE but to settle with paying ACT. I hope this information helps someone.