Access America Travel Insurance / claim denial

United States Review updated:
My girlfriend and I purchased a vacation trip to New Orleans scheduled for September 2-6, 2008. We bought the trip from Book It.com. The package included round-trip air and 4 nights in a hotel. Also, we purchased travel insurance from Book It with their insurance partner Access America.

Hurricane Gustav hit New Orleans during the time we were to be on vacation. We wisely canceled our trip through Book It and filed a claim with Access America since weather related emergencies are covered.

Now comes the scam: Access America is denying our claim.
I contacted the claims agent thinking this was some sort of
mistake. However they are still refusing the claim. They want me to prove I canceled my trip due to the hurricane. I provided documentation that the airport was closed, the entire city was evacuated, and all flights were canceled. Everytime I provide information, they request more. It is obvious they are looking for a way out of paying my claim.

The amount is not that much ($311 each) it is a matter of
principal that I'm bringing this to your attention. It is obvious that the travel agency and the insurance company are in cahoots on this scam. They are bundling the insurance into the travel packages with no intent on ever paying a claim. The policy covers weather emergencies, but they are using fine print to avoid meeting their common-sense responsibilities.
Fo

Comments

Ma
  28th of Oct, 2008
I am also being denied my claim. I planned a trip to visit someone who was ill in my family. I found out my relative was sick on 8/28 and I had to discuss with others in family so I booked my trip the following day the 29th. I had to re-schedule the flight and fly out sooner because my relative became terminal - they are denying my claim stating my relative had a "pre-existing condition" have you ever heard of such a thing.

To make this change cost me almost $700.00 Cheaptickets and Access America are truly scamming people. I am bringing my claim to the AG office of Virgina and suggest others do as well.
Be
  21st of Feb, 2011
I am having the exact same problem as Mary. On a Wednesday, I booked a flight to see my sick father in the hospital on Friday. Two hours after I booked my flight, I found out that he died the night before. I immediately changed my flight to get there the same day because we are Jewish, and he had to be buried immediately. I was told by the airline that insurance would cover this change. Access America is denying the claim, saying that I should have known my father was going to die! Are you freaking serious????? How should I know my Dad was going to die? And if I did, why wouldn't I have made the initial flight out immediately? THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS! I plan I pursuing this as aggressively as needed.
Jo

Access America Travel Insurance - cant get their story straigh
Access America
accessamerica.com

I will never buy insurance through Access America again. It have been totally screwed over by them twice now. The first time, my daughter got sick and we were not able to make the flight to our friend's wedding. On the phone that morning, the agent told me that is my husband re-booked the flight for a day later, once my daughter could be seen by the doctor the change fees and difference in fare would be covered. We went ahead and did that for his ticket only and the additional cost to us was over $1000 which we would only have done under the guidance of the agent. Of course the ticket is bought and now the next agent we speak with says we were told wrong and would only be reimbursed the $350 cost of his ticket. Loss: $650 due to misinformation by agents.

Second incident: We (stupidly) again bought insurance for our trip to Quebec. Our flight home to Newark was canceled and re-booked 4 TIMES by continental (a whole other complaint i should file). At first we were told by their agents that we qualified for "travel delay" coverage, which would be up to $200 pp. After the first day when i called back they said that because the cancellations went over 24 hrs (it ended up being over 2 days) that the coverage would now fall under "trip Interruption" since there were no flights being offered out of quebec to Newark on Continental., which would cover up to $412.16 pp for meals/transport and accommodations related to the delay. Saved receipts filed claims...We get 2 checks for $200, claiming that when they looked up the airline info there was 1 flight that left Quebec to Newak on Continental- a flight that we were not on nor offered by the airline, and due to this, we did not actually qualify for Interruption coverage. Access America again misinformed me and again weaseled out of paying the money that their agents led us to believe would be coming. Loss #2: $320.

Pitiful!
Hello,
I’m Bree with Access America’s Help Team. We’re sorry to read about your father’s passing. We’d like to find out more about your situation to see if we can help. Access America’s customer service team is available 24/7/365 by calling the number on your certificate of insurance. Or you can email us at help.team@accessamerica.com with your full name and policy number and we’ll look into it for you. We look forward to hearing from you soon.
  13th of Jul, 2016

Access America Travel Insurance - Stay away from Access America travel Insurance
Access America Travel Insurance

I bought a travel insurance policy from Access America Travel Insurance. I was travelling to Canada to see my family for a quick weekend. I bought the insurance because it was cheap, about $25 to cover the cost of my flight just in case. The day after I arrived in Canada, my father, who was 96 years old at the time passed away from old age. I had to cancel my trip home (non refundable ticket), as I had to stay few extra days to arrange for the funeral etc. I purchased a new ticket, and submitted all of my stuff to Access America Travel Insurance to cover the cost of my new $220 discount fare to get home. They asked for a copy of the death certificate which I supplied. The death certificate, issued by the Government of Quebec Canada does not list a cause of death for a 96 year old who dies of old age. I also supplied a copy of the funeral home burial certificate which does list the cause as natural. Access America refuses to pay because the cause of death is not listed. They told me to find a doctor to write a letter on his letterhead listing the cause of death as natural. None of this BS was in the policy and terms and conditions that they sent me when I purchased this policy. The policy is supposed to cover you for various different circumstances including the death of an immediate family member. What a scam this company is. I am filing complaints with the State Insurance Commissioner, The BBB and perhaps in small claims court. Stay away from Access America travel Insurance.
Hi @bbdentman,
I'm Bree with Access America’s Help Team. We’re sorry to hear about your frustrations. While I don’t know all the specifics, I’d like to point out that travel insurance is like any other type of insurance, in that there are terms, conditions and exclusions that affect coverage. We provide a list of covered reasons for trip cancellation and interruption in the policy, which we strongly encourage all customers to review when they receive it. And we offer a 10-day free look, with the opportunity to cancel the policy at no cost if it doesn't meet your needs. Also worth noting are articles and resources on travel insurance, such as this one: http://bit.ly/dZ683i

Please email us at help.team@accessamerica.com if you’d like us to look into your case.
Ac
Hello,

Access America’s Help Team here. Our apologies for any frustrations you may have experienced.

Travel insurance is like any other type of insurance, in that there are terms, conditions, and limitations that impact coverage. The terms of many policies exclude coverage for claims directly or indirectly related to conditions a person would have had symptoms of in the 120 days prior to the policy’s purchase. Please email us at help.team@accessamerica.com so we can find out more about your specific case and we’ll be back in touch.

Thanks,
Access America’s Help Team
Ba
Hello Dear
My name is Mariam and i am looking for honest partner if you are interesting please just mail me back through my email address (mariammbaye40@yahoo.co.uk )so we can know each other and from there i will send my picture to you thanks and have a nice day!
Mariam.
Ca

Access America Travel Insurance - Denial of Claim
Virginia

Based on a recommendation on Delta Airlines' website I purchased travel insurance from Access America. Subsequent to purchasing the ticket my wife received a diagnosis of cancer from the findings of a routine medical examination. We had no reason to expect this diagnosis, otherwise I would not have spent $461.80 for the ticket and $26.55 for the travel insurance. Today I received a denial of claim for refund of the ticket purchase from Access America, citing my wife's cancer as a preexisting condition. As far as I'm concerned, Access America is a bunch of crooks and Delta Airlines is nothing more than a shill for their con.
Bb

Access America Travel Insurance - Don't waste your money
Access America Travel Insurance

I own my own company and do subcontract work for other companies. I purchased flight insurance with Access when booking a flight home on Hotwire but ended up having to drive home because my contract was terminated due to lack of work. Policy says covers termination or layoff that isn't your fault. Could find nothing else in the paperwork about this. Access started spouting off other rules and such not in the paper work provided me to avoid paying the claim. Total rip off. Don't waste your money on this insurance.
  13th of Jul, 2016
Access America's Help Team here. It sounds like you've had a frustrating time, and I'm sorry to hear about your experience. It sounds as if the change in your travel plans was related to a medical condition that was present prior to your purchasing your insurance.

Like any type of insurance, there are terms, conditions, and limitations that impact coverage. Coverage for existing medical conditions is excluded from many of our travel insurance policies. We provide a list of covered reasons for trip cancellation and interruption in the policy, as well as a list of general and specific exclusions which we strongly encourage all customers to review when they receive it. And we offer a 10-day free look, with the opportunity to cancel the policy at no cost if it doesn't meet your needs. Please see our FAQs: http://bit.ly/b4T45T, or email us at helpteam@accessamerica.com if you have further questions. We wish your family member a speedy recovery.
Cf

Access America Travel Insurance - Waste of time and money
Access America Travel Insurance

Very misleading advertising. Bought insurance because family member was having surgery and required post-op care. Family member became ill and surgery was delayed 30 days. Not covered by Acess America because of exclusion #13 - Any event that insured could have reasonably expected or foreseen. Thats the whole premise behind insurance - if I could have forseen the illness, I would not have booked the trip! If the surgery is scheduled (knee replacement) then it is a pre-existing condition! Don't waste your time or money with the company!