Access America / travel insurance

1 CA, United States Review updated:

This company is worthless. Complete disregard for the consumer. I had
1) a medical issue that made traveling difficult compounded by
2) an airplane mechanical issue that would have necessitated my staying overnight at JFK or a hotel nearby.

I had two legitimate claims. Claim was denied.
I have spent 6 months submitting and re-submitting paper work. My physician has written and submitted two different forms (as if she has nothing better to do). She's astonished that (at best) Access America is incompetent or (at worst) corrupt, a scam.

I think they have a 'war of attrition' going on. If they can just 'lose paperwork', delay response, 'lose paperwork' AGAIN, eventually we'll just go away.

I've got news for you, Jeff Hyman, VP of Customer Relations: I'm not going away.

Od

Comments

• Dd
      20th of Oct, 2008
    Access America - travel

Do not make the same mistake as me and get Access America insurance when you book a trip on Orbitz. Worst customer service, refusal to pay a claim, relentless re-interpretation of the language of the contract to avoid paying a claim, very long delay in reviewing claims, and angry phone operators who don't let you state your point.

Avoid at all means.

• Li
      20th of Aug, 2009
    Access America - The company is a shameful scam
    Access America

They DO NOT PAY! They would request more and more forms until you drop the claim. It's a shameful scam!

• Ju
      5th of Feb, 2010

I've already complained to:

1. Attorney General Office in Virginia because the company is based in Richmond.
    2. The California Insurance Bureau (that's where I'm based).
    3. The Better Business Bureau

There is only one way to deal with these companies -- which is to take action. I cannot tolerate companies that take advantage of people in tragic times. Please take action as well. Maybe collective we can stop this from happening again.

• Sc
      21st of Apr, 2010

I also had a problem with them and they refused a refund. Not only did I personally contact Christoper Elliott, the "Travel Troubleshooter", who has a national column in major newspapers, etc. I also tracked down the CEO of Access America, and the CEO of Orbitz where we initially bought the tickets, and the insurance. Low and behold, when they figured out that I was not going to "go away", they refunded my money.

The contact email for Christoper Elliott the Travel Troubleshooter is: elliottc@gmail.com

The CEO of Access America is Johnathan Ansell, his secretary's name is Deborah Waters, her email is: Deborah.Waters@mondialUSA.com

If you purchased your tickets originally thru Orbitz, which alot of people did, because they must be loosely affiliated with this company, their CEO is Bernard Harford, the email contact I have is: carla.fabbri@orbitz.com

Good Luck to anyone who reads this information, I hope it helps serve justice for this type of corrupt behavior!

• Kp
      29th of Jun, 2010

• De
      7th of Jun, 2011

THE SAME THING IS HAPPENING WITH ME. IT HAS BEEN FOUR MONTHS SINCE MY SON'S DOCTOR TOLD HIM HE COULDN'T GO ON A TRIP ONE WEEK BEFORE THE TRIP. I HAD PREEXISTING CONDITION ON MY POLICY BUT NOW THEY ARE SAYING SINCE I PUT A DEPOSIT ON THE TRIP 19 DAYS BEFORE I PURCHASED THE POLICY INSTEAD OF 14 DAYS THEY ARE DENYING THE CLAIM. I HAVE BEEN GOING BACK AND FORTH SENDING THEM INFO AND NEVER ONCE DID THEY MENTION THIS REASON WHICH WAS ALWAYS PRESENT. WHEN I PURCHASED THE POLICY NO ONE ASKED ME IF I HAD PUT ANY MONEY DOWN ON THE TRIP. IF THEY DID I WOULD NOT HAVE PURCHASED THE POICY, WHY WOULD I PURCHASE SOMETHING THAT WOULDN'T BE VALID. THIS COMPANY IS A SCAM. I RECOMMEND THAT EVERYONE STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.

• Su
      28th of Jul, 2011
    Access America - Worst travel insurance company out there
    Access America

Access America refuses to pay legitimate claims for canceled trips. Select another travel insurance company if you can. They use stalling and fine language tactics to refuse to pay claims.

• Aa
      2nd of Aug, 2011

Dear @suvkix,
    Access America’s Help Team here. I’m sorry to hear you are frustrated with your travel insurance. I don’t know the details of your case, but please remember that travel insurance is like any other type of insurance, in that there are terms, conditions and exclusions that affect coverage. We provide a list of covered reasons in the insuring policy, which we encourage all customers to review when they receive it. Plus, we offer a 10-day free look, with the opportunity to cancel the policy at no cost if it doesn't meet your needs.

You may want to check out articles and resources on travel insurance, like this one: http://bit.ly/dZ683i. Please email us at help.team@accessamerica.com so we can find out more about your case and we’ll be back in touch.

• Gr
      5th of Dec, 2011

also victim to the internet scams of hotwire and access america, these are the new usury companies that are ripping off consumers. the biggest airlines employ them to scam consumers. hotwire are lazy, rude, and competent thieves who will no doubt be on their knees soon.

• Ac
      13th of Dec, 2011

Access America’s Help Team here, and we’re sorry that you are frustrated. I don’t know the exact details of your case, but I I'd like to point out that travel insurance is like any other type of insurance, in that there are terms, conditions and exclusions that affect coverage. We provide a list of covered reasons for trip cancellation in the insuring policy, which we strongly encourage all customers to review when they receive it. And we offer a 10-day free look, with the opportunity to cancel the policy at no cost if it doesn't meet your needs. Please see our FAQs: http://bit.ly/b4T45T. Also worth noting are articles and resources on travel insurance, such as this one: http://bit.ly/dZ683i.
    If you’d wish to further discuss your case, please email us at help.team@accessamerica.com with your name and policy number so we can find out more.

• La
      20th of Dec, 2011
    Access America - fraudulant travel policy

Access America is a total fraud. I bought this insurance and had to cancel because of severe flooding at my destination. Naturally, they denied the claim, saying the reason was somewhere on page 5 of the paperwork. I trusted that a company who American Airlines allows to sell directly on their website would be reputable. A big mistake on my part, as they have no intention of EVER paying a claim. Save your money.

• Ac
      21st of Dec, 2011

Hi Laurence –

Jackie from Access America’s Help Team here. Sorry to hear about your frustration. Please email us at help.team@accessamerica.com with your policy number if you have additional questions.

All the Best,
    Jackie, Access America’s Help Team

• Ia
      25th of Dec, 2011

Hi Laurence,
    I think you should be patient enough to solve your case with Access America before putting the companies name into mud. You bought an Insurance Package and cancelled it and then you want a claim? Doesn't make a dam sense.

8th of Jan, 2013

1/8/13
    I would like to contact Chris Elliott by mail or phone. I have a complalint against Travel Guard out of Stevens Point, Wisc.
    They denied me my claim. I have all correspondence between them and me along with medical records. Please contact me by phone at 651/482-9029. My name is Jonell A. Ufer at jonell.ufer@yahoo.com.
    Thank you.