Academy of Cinema and Television ACT A.C.T. THE - Arizona / Re: Act ripping people using Disney and Nickledeon names

1 NJ, United States Review updated:

ACT is doing false advertisements and attracting people to sign up their children who will become stars. Lily who is their main spokesman announced in front of the room full of people that there are 1000 children and only 30 kids will be selected. All the parents were excited and everyone was trying hard to get their kids do the best i front of the camera. The camera man had no interest and was sitting lazily and was not even bothered too check any information on the forms that the kids were handing him. Did not even care to check on the sheet to assess the kids talent. Lily gave us her phone no. and said that this is her personal number which she does not give to everyone and our child has a lot of potential as he has a middle eastern look. She asked us to call her the next day and we called her late in the evening and she said that we were on the list and she wanted to see us ASAP and asked us to bring our child along We had a long 2 hr. drive and it was Monday evening and she was fine with that. When we got there she asked our child questions and said that he will make 300% money and said to us that if we do not register him that means we do not love our child. Our child was sitting right there listening to the conversation and she gave us a paper and asked us to sign it and said it is only a formality and she has more families waiting outside so we should hurry up.
Lily also said that the schedule will be given to us once we pay the money upfront.
A month later when we went to attend the 1st class we saw a zoo of crowd and there were 300 or more kids than 30 kids. We asked ACT to refund the money and they refused. We contacted the Attorney General's office but they do not want to do anything either.

We are ripped...Ripped real hard in this tough economy
If anyone has any answers how to get out of it will like to know...
Cannot understand how ACT is doing scam around the country and nothing is being done

Comments

• Co
      26th of Apr, 2009

We too were scammed by ACT. We signed my daughter up for a year's worth of classes. I wish I had done the math before I paid. The classes work out to over $100 per hour. There are over twenty kids in her classes and the teachers have no control over them. These classes are very poor quality. You can take private acting classes for the same price or less! We were told only 20 kids were chosen out of 1000, but when we showed up there were over 300 kids there. Part of the package was a photo shoot and head shots. Her's came out horrible and they charge $1500. I found out that there are excellent photographers who do headshots in NY for $300. Everything about ACT is a big rip-off scam. I feel so stupid and duped and I feel really sorry for my daughter. Beware of "Lily" who is the ultimate con-artist. She'll sweet talk you and give you the guilt trip, but if you don't commit to giving her money, watch out--she gets nasty. At the end of this session, ACT tried to con the parents into another package deal--only this one is even more ridiculous. Its a four day event called "The" (try googling "The" to find info--these people know what they're doing! What a bunch of ruthless vultures). Well, when it was my daughters turn to audition for Lily to see if she would "qualify" to go to The, the first thing Lily asked was if we could commit to paying. When I said I'd have to think about it, Lily got very nasty. Stay away from anything to do with ACT or The

• Ta
      27th of Mar, 2010

All of the above is TRUE TRUE TRUE!! I just took my 7 year old son there today. Didn't have much invested in it and wanted to see if it's something my son would enjoy doing, but I am quite sure I will get an INVITATION back tomorrow for my son to return. In fact, probably 80% of the 1200 that were there today will get call backs and LILY will try to get the max -7900.00 out of as many people as she can. The option costing the least is 1950.00!! What a scam. They are listed on the BBB as having an F and have several complaints against them. They are based in Arizona so you can go online to the Arizona BBB and search under A.C.T. Their "The" name is listed also. Yea, mispronouncing THE doesn't make it legit, just makes it harder to research. JERKS...HAHAHA

• Ox
      5th of Oct, 2010

I absolutely agree with comments above - I was scammed for two of my kids. Apparently they were two out of very few selected but as it turned out there were tens of others as well. They are looking for siblings because what parent will let one kid go for acting and not allow the other to succeed. We were totally scammed - please do NOT believe any word they say - that is if you don't want to waste your money.

• Su
      25th of Jan, 2011

They also ripped us off for thousands and despite being in breach of their own contract they have refused to return calls or emails. We have hired an attorney and figure that even of we spend $12, 000 to get our original $12, 000 plus costs back it will still be worth it. Anybody that wants to jump in on the action without a cost to themselves should send an email to 'sueactfortheft@hotmail.com'.