Academy Collection Service, Inc. - www.AcademyCollection.com / Demanding, aggressive money extortion

Academy Services
10965 Decatur Road
Philadelphia, PA 19154

Oh my goodness! I have so many mixed emotions right now after reading Laura M's complaint. Not only am I appalled by her experience, but almost grateful/thankful that I went to ComplaintsBoard.com and reviewed her letter regarding her experience with Academy Services.

I must tell you that the same exact thing just happened to me yesterday afternoon and I mean the same thing happened to me, but I was at work and thought I was doing a good deed by calling them back. The guys name was Gordon and if I'm not mistaken, it was Miller but don't quote me on the last name (I'll have to look at my documents when I get home), but this Gordon guy called me at work, I missed his call, so he left me a voice mail and I knew then that this wasn't good because I could hear the tone in this guys voice already -- so demanding, aggressive and almost like he was ready to let me have it. So I called him back and at first, he was very appreciative that I called him back or maybe it was only to keep me on the line because he needed to put me on hold for a couple of minutes. Next thing I know, he returned to the phone and proceeded to tell me about this debt that I owed on a car that's been totaled since September 2006 and advised me that there is a balance due. I totally understand and except that I owe the monies, but I don't have it to pay outright and upfront the way it seemed he was asking that I do. So when I asked him, "What can I do or what does he want me to do", it was on, his true colors came flying out and boy was he rude, yelling and screaming and almost to the point of swearing at me. He just kept saying, "You haven't paid the bill in over a year and I want to know why"! He wasn't and didn't give me any options to pay the bill before hanging up on me because I spoke back to him just as aggressive as he was talking and he didn't like that, but he gave me a settlement amount, which is still too high for me to come up with and he pretty much said that he didn't care how I came up with the money, he is giving me 24 hours to do so -- like go sell your body or something. We are talking about a $2,800, not $5 or $10 thousand. I felt so bad -- almost like I wanted to dig my grave, crawl in a whole and cry and then he said, "You know Ms. Young, you talk too much, you have 24 hours to come up with the money or we'll see you in court" and hung up on me. Oh boy, was I messed up inside. I'm 5 months pregnant and felt like I wanted to explode. My nerves were racing and shaking uncontrollably and I could feel my heart pounding to a different beat.

I called back to ask for a supervisor and finally after 40 minutes of this one got on the phone whose tone was a little better. Of course I expressed my experience and my concern about the previous caller, Gordon, but the bottom line is the he told me about the payment arrangements I could make and that was either pay in full, pay in three installments of $582 a month or $272 down and $150 a month and that was that. Keeping in mind that they want post dated checks and your life then becomes in their hands until the debt is paid which I don't feel is right and I can't do that. I inquired about paying $50 a month, which I'd pay for the rest of my life, it seems, unless I hit the lottery number, but apparently that wasn't an option. So I was pretty much given 24 hours to call them back with some kind of definitive answer as to what I was planning on doing, pay in full or take one of their offers.

I'm lost and really don't know what to do at this point. Have you been notified by anyone else about what happens next. What if I just wait to see if they send me to court I'm so confused!

Thank you so much because now I know I'm not alone.

Write me back, ok

More Academy Collection Service, Inc. - www.AcademyCollection.com Complaints & Reviews

Plus Academy Collection Service, Inc. - www.AcademyCollection.com - People threatening [1]

N  6th of Nov, 2007 by
They can not take what you dont have. If you offered a reasonable payment, they should have taken it. Also, it is illegal to threaten you with court action over the phone. Call an attorney and take them to court for harassment. Especially being pregnant, if you admit to an innocent mistake, their is no justification for them to treat you the way they did...
N  7th of Jul, 2008 by
Never call back a collector, they do not bargain. If you dont have the money, face the consequence. If you do pay the organization directly.
N  8th of Aug, 2008 by
I got several calls from the Academy Collection Service, Inc. Every week I got a call from them to pay the due. But when I told them to clear the matter to me. I found it is not my. They are asking for asking for another person. Still date they haven`t accepted their mistake & asking for the pay. In this page I have got more incidents of their abuse http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/academy.html
N  10th of Mar, 2009 by
I just got a call from these people at Aacademy Service and the person that they are looking for does not live here. Don't know how they got my number, anyway I will never call anyone from a collection agency. I will deal directly with the co. if they don't want to deal with me..Too bad.
D  10th of Mar, 2009 by
Will never call a collection agency back. They are nothing but heartless people that feel they are doing a job and getting paid to go after anyone that cannot pay. Just get rid of the if they call you