ABSA Private Security Provident Fund / provident fund

1 South Africa Review updated:

My name is Lloyd Oliver

I have been trying to get my provident fund from ABSA for over a month now. My ex-employer issued me with a number to call them. The number goes to a recording that says "Your call will be answered soon". This eats all my airtime & i have to reload airtime when i have money to try again. I have spent over R500 trying to call these people. They do not answer the phone. I have also driven R200 petrol out looking for the right branch in Western Cape for a face to face encounter. No luck whatsoever. I called the CCMA who reffered me to the Provident Fund Adjudicator. Guess what?! Their number does not exist anymore. I am now running out of airtime & i do not think it is fair that i should spend R500pm trying to contact ABSA for what is mine. It would help if there was a light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe an answer on the other side of the phone call.

Am i ever gonna get this money? Why do i have no rights concerning this money that was deducted from my hard earned salary every month? I used to cringe when i saw my payslip deductions. What soothed me was the thought of the provident fund being saved up for me. Now?! Now what?!! I have left that company. I'm unemployed trying to start my own business & running out of funds & being robbed by ABSA. The worst part is that i have an ABSa Savings account. I'm closing it today. ABSA has become my nightmare. I will advise all companies who care about their employees to never use ABSA. They do not pay the provident funds back

Lloyd Denzil Oliver
[protected]

Comments

24th of Aug, 2010
    Absa - How can you take debit orders from an account that you can see is running dormant
    absa.co.za

Please advise we were in the branch a few weeks ago to follow up on closing our account only to discover that we are in arrears.

We have been paying our loan account cash as we made the arrangement over 2years only to find that they are still running through debit orders on the savings account running up the bank costs.

I can assure you now that we will not be paying this amount and want this account closed, how can you take debit orders from an account that you can see is running dormant and now we cannot close it due to the incompetence of your staff.

• Vi
      1st of Sep, 2010
    ABSA - No answer to what happened to my money
    absa.co.za

The bank manager couldn't answer me about how was I going to find out. 1. If I've applied for both loans(personal loan and mortgage bond access loan). 2. On which account was the money deposited and supply documents(at that time my salary was being eposited at absa) for both loans. The activities on all my accounts at that time of applying for loan. I ended up refering this matter to legalwise and the legal advisor told me she couldn't get any co operation from absa. She said she was being sent from pillar to post with no clear answers. My mortage has gone up because of this and I'm paying for money I've never received of which not even the bank manager can explain the transaction that reflects on the statement. How is that possible?

• Si
      8th of Sep, 2010
    ABSA - Once again ABSA makes me angry
    absa.co.za

I contacted the credit card call centre (Wednesday) to ensure that all was in order & that my payment was received.I was helped by a very professional lady who confirm what is available on budget & straight.I could not make us of my credit card on Monday & called once again.The lady confirmed that a small amount was short paid. She explained that I called before the statement closed & the consultant would not see this on the system.I then promptly paid this small amount.Today I called again to transfer funds from my budget to straight & told basically that I am penalised for late payment (someting to that effect). I am extremely annoyed!!! I asked to speak to a supervisor but was on hold for too long. I am inconvenienced because of ABSA's system which does not allow their consultants to see the history of their clients accounts.This could been avoided!!! & once again I am inconvenienced & have to complain on this site again!!! I am proud to say that my accounts are always paid & feel livid that now I have a 'reading' on my name which is not my fault.I request that someone please assist, I need to transfer these funds!

9th of Sep, 2010

I love Absa and more importantly I love my branch in Amanzimtoti because the service is brilliant. I work in the Umbilo area and popped into Absa at the Umbilo Centre as I needed money from my 32 day account available immediately. Diane first said sorry I can't get money now 'what do I need it for' she asked me. Now what I need MY money for has got nothing to do with anybody. My uncle passed on yesterday and I need to travel now to get to his funeral - she then says 'Can you not give me proof' a death certificate? I mean seriously. I was so stunned as my family and I are going through such a difficult time right now and this is the last thing I needed. I don't want a phone call apologising I just want Diane to know that sometimes people are going through things and that she should be more supportive, I have NEVER taken an immediate from my 32day account and she mustn't think that EVERYBODY out there abuses it. I just want Diane to know that as a customer service rep she should cheer people up - not break her clients down.

• Ni
      10th of Sep, 2010
    ABSA - Suspect transaction on my account
    absa.co.za

I have notify me on my mobile alerting me when a transaction goes through my bank account. On Thursday I received a sms from ABSA - it was a transaction not done by me and it looks highly suspect. I am in the UK at the moment. I immediately went onto the internet, onto the ABSA website, taking the 'contact us' link. I explained my concern about what is happening in my account, informing them my mobile is currently sms enabled only, and sending them the UK mobile number I am using whilst over here. I did not even get a standard reply from ABSA.
    On Friday I logged in to internet banking, and again sent a message via the 'contact us' link. Again - no response from ABSA at all.

This is a great concern to me - I need to get contacted by a responsible, informed person as soon as possible, either via my e-mail address or on my mobile. I am quite prepared to phone, but phoning from here is costly, so I cannot afford to be sent from the one person to the next - so if ABSA is not prepared to phone me, I need the name of the right person to speak to.

• Ji
      16th of Sep, 2010
    ABSA - I am one of the many ABSA clients to have fallen victim to the phishing
    absa.co.za

I am one of the many ABSA clients to have fallen victim to the phishing ***. Once I became aware of the theft, I contacted them immediately and launched an investigation. Over the next 5 weeks I regularly phoned different authorities within the ABSA organisation to find out what was happening and where I stood.

As a client of ABSA, it is fundamental that I constantly be kept informed of the progress of the investigation. Not only was I never ONCE contacted by ABSA in this regard but they did not even BOTHER to inform me of the outcome of the investigation once THEY deemed it closed. Not surprisingly they decided the outcome of the investigation in their favour.

• Ah
      27th of Sep, 2010
    Absa - Stay far away from them
    absa.co.za

I use my Absa Credit Card extensively. I was sort of happy with the Rewards program that was offered free as part of my package (Platinum Customer). I have now realised that this has been discontinued with no (or very low key) announcement. I can now subscribe for an additional fee of about R20 for the new Awards program. While I am sure that Absa can do this legally and have all the rights as is probably documented in the fine print, this is an indication of a high-handed, unethical approach that is just not acceptable.

I have been sold something as part of a package that has now been removed unilateraly. I can now sign up for a service (that I used to have) for an additional fee. The benefits that I accrued over years and had a specific target in mind, I must now exchange for goods that I don't want within a limited timeframe. This is a business decision that says everything about how much the bank care about me as customer.

Rewards programs are designed to change behaviour. Well designed Reward programs entice consumers to use their credit cards more. Just watch how my Absa card usage is going to drop now.

• Mi
      1st of Oct, 2010
    Absa - The left hand doesn't know what the right is doing
    absa.co.za

After applying for a further bond from FNB, which is denied because of an arrears account with ABSA. No ways I say. I phone ABSA, one person refers me to another, go into my branch, who tells me I should phone so and so. Hell, I must go home and sort out at my cost ABSA's balls- up, running up telephone costs. Eventually get to talk to sombody who confirms I am correct, but this and this is not right and they want to listen to the alledged recordings for confirmation. I am even told that I did not make a payment in August while holding the said proof of payment in my hand. One day later I'm phoned to tell me that ABSA has only started with recordings 2 weeks ago, WHAT only now, 4 months after the alledged phone call. ABSA you and your staff are incompetant and owe me money for calls and administration that you should of done. ABSA you have got too big and are now lacking that personal service. I believe after all the ***, I've had over the last 4 years with ABSA, I am owed a medal or at least some type of compensation.

• Br
      13th of Oct, 2010
    ABSA - Time to move to a bank that cares
    absa.co.za

I am currently unemployed and do not receive an income. At the end of last month (October) I tried to stop the debit orders via the website, but it appears that it did not work. Now I am sitting with bank charges of over R 1300 which will be taken off a cheque that was deposited for me. At R124 for a debit order of R150, it seems a bit steep. No wonder ABSA was the biggest one to complain about the Competition Commissions report that was leaked! On top of that, I bet there is a charge of R124 for the non-payment of the internet banking fees as well, even though it is not a debit order!

The time has now come that I look at keeping MY money in the safe or a different bank, like so many of the 'unbanked' out there.

• Th
      12th of Nov, 2010
    ABSA - No Respond on cliam
    ABSA
    South Africa

I called absa credit card some time back and enquired about the debit on my account that i did not understand. i was told its for insurence should i loose my job. now I am not working and i have been sent from pillar to post when trying to claim. the call center advised me to send an application letter and supporting documents of which i did and now i am still waiting for their response. whilst still waiting for their response i had several calls from call center and today from legal saying that i must pay or face being black listed. i called the claims dep and holded for 20 min being transferd and my airtime got finished...

i feel mislead by absa hence i dont recall applying for this policy and i was misinformed that it will assist me should i loose my job. now absa again told me that the insurence company could be delaying the process hoping that i get a job before they would have to pay out. this is poor service from absa and they are i feel that i have been tricked to pay extra cost just for their business. i asked for a copy of my insurence contract, till today. they are all passing the buck on my policy yet they want me to pay... this is horrable! 0832639228

• Br
      20th of Jan, 2011
    Absa - Absa lost my daughters savings money
    Absa

ABSA, your service is shocking. I opened a savings account for my daughter in 2004. I have been making electronic transfers into the account on a monthly basis. I have never received any statements for this account. I have made no cash withdrawals from this account. On 4 January 2010 I asked for a statement. The balance was almost zero. The money has been drawn from the account. I have the card in the safe with me at home. My daughter is only 6 years old, we have not used the card once. After 6 weeks of frustration and trying to deal with ABSA, I was told that it is not at their fault that the money has been withdrawn. Lebo from ABSA head office, that was the investigator, was extremely rude, not helpful at all and had an attitude and note and tried to tell me how to do my banking. some withdrawals were made in Tembisa and Daveyton (where I would not go at all). I was working in Midrand at the time and some transactions were made in Kempton Park, how can I drive during my working hours to draw R50 on the other side of town. Your service is a shocker and I am closing all my accounts with ABSA. Do not open accounts with ABSA. they loose your money. !!!

• Me
      25th of Jan, 2011
    ABSA - The client should not disturb us
    Absa

I am trying to assist one of my clients, who does not speak English, to resolve a query with ABSA. I have tried for fifteen minutes to get through to Michael or Linda but the phone simply rings. On my third attempt, a very rude .woman who did not give her name(she hung up when I asked for it), basically told me I was lying about Michael and Linda's phones just ringing because she caould see on her system that their lines were engaged. She then told me that Michael's line had become available and tried to put me through. The phone just rang.I got back to this person, who said, after I had told her that Michael's phone was just ringing, that 'we can't see them because we are on the second floor'. Even though I had initially asked her repatedly to take a message, she kept interrupting and insisting on arguing and (trying) to put me through to Michael. Only right at the end did she offer to take a message, only because she had decided at that time that this was a good idea.

The client is still waiting for his phone call. I also do not understand why he does not appear to have been properly informed in terms of FAIS before opening the account.

• Ru
      26th of Jan, 2011
    Absa - Sold me property without cover
    Absa

I was employed by Absa Bank for 15years and unfortunately got affected by the retrenchment in 2008. I managed to pay my bond account for the entire 2009 being unemployed but my reserves are now finished. I contacted Absa Home loans and explained my situation, thinking that I have a credit cover on my bond and was suprised that there isn't any. I am concerned and do not understand how could my bond be approved without any cover. What will happen, should I pass on? I know Absa will harass my wife and eventually repossess my property and leave my Family in the street, and resell the house and move on with their business. Surely NCA doesn't allow this.

• Kr
      8th of Feb, 2011
    ABSA - Poor service delivery and lack of follow up
    Absa

Where do I start with expressing my utter frustration and disappointment with ABSA Insurance. We had a serious water leak which was eventually repaired, however the wall which was broken while repairing the leak is still to be repaired and I was advised today, 3 weeks after and countless unreturned calls to the claims office that they had advised a company to come and repair the wall. A week later my jaccuzzi switch box was smoking and fortunately I was walking past it and noticed the smoke so immediately switched it off. However the motor had stopped running long before and due to no water circulating, the heater had overheated and melted the pipes around the jaccuzzi. If I hadn't switched it off, it most probably would have caught fire and burnt not only the jaccuzi, but possibly the whole house. Due to limited space allowed on this page, the end result is after countless calls and no responses ABSA refused the claim because there were no FLAMES. Because I was a good guardian of my property and switched everything off to prevent the flames burning my house down, I am being penalized and my claim rejected.

• Il
      8th of Apr, 2011
    ABSA Bank - Cashing a cheque
    ABSA BANK JOUBERTINA BRANCH
    South Africa

I sent a friend to Absa Bank Joubertina branch to cash a cheque which was made out to me. The "or bearer" on the cheque was NOT deleted which, in my opinion, means that the bearer of the cheque is entitled to receive the cash. The branch manageress argued rudely with me and insisted I visited the bank in person to cash the cheque. Am I wrong here or are the staff just making their own rules?

• Go
      8th of Apr, 2011

I think this is a good polict; to stop scamming and people stealing cheques

10th of Jul, 2011

The rule states even if the cheque is maid out to someone and the order bearer is not deleted it may be cashed by any one you are absolutely correct.Maby consider moving your account.:-)

10th of Jul, 2011

You are absolutely right if order bearer is not crossed out any one can cash the cheque maybe consider moving your account. ;-)

17th of Aug, 2011
    Absa Home Loans - Gender discrimination
    ABSA
    South Africa

ABSA require mandatory Credit Life Policy for home loans to be granted, when getting quotes on Life Policies. We get the following:
    for exactly the same criteria:
    Life insurance quotes:

1lifedirect =R153.21
    1st for women =R156.27
    Resolution =R69.22
    Hollard =R72.18

Therefore it is impossible to get a home loan without being subjected to gender discrimination. Where men are penalized for being male.

• Ni
      5th of Mar, 2012

My name is Nico and have the same problem as Lloyd I have been trying to get hold of the Provident fund since August 2011 besides the fact that I used a lot of money on phone bills, When the phone is answered they tel me that they cannot help me because the system is off line. Once I eventually got through to them - they told me that they never received my claim????_ I contacted my previous employer and they faxed me the proof of the claim that was sent in. This was sent in for the second time on the 9th of January 2012.
    I have been trying to get hold of the fund since this date and again just got a phone recording of music playing. Each time I hold the line for 3 to 5 min and never get any answer.
    Is there anyone that can help me or do I have to take another route to get my money out of the fund.
    My cellphone number is 0844053309.
    Nico Venter.