ABSA iDirect / car insurance

South Africa Review updated:

Hi All.

Its with deep regret that I have to send this email, but I feel that it is necessary. I have been disappointed by the service and level of understanding of ABSA idirect insurance. I was in a minor accident on tuesday night 25-10-11after I had to avoid hitting a pedestrian, I bumped the pavement resulting in both my front wheels being deflated immediately. I was stranded and completely helpless at the moment as 3 days before this I was robbed in Pretoria, for which I also have a case number from the SAPD and video footage thereof as proof. Fortunately 3 minutes after the accident happened a tow-inn service vehicle passed me and I was more than happy for him to be able to assist me as we all know what it would be like being stranded alone in the dark at night in a rural area in Rustenburg. Now you, ABSA idirect refuse to help me with the tow-inn payment because I did not lodge a call immediately. So what would you do if you were alone in a town, far away from home? Would you leave your car and belongings alone at the side of the road, and go and look for a phone ? refusing help from the first possible service? I doubt it. In the moment of such a thing happen you panic, you fear for your safety, you don't care about what the insurance prefers you doing. Now the outcome is that I have to pay the release fee of possibly more than R2500.00, before ABSA would touch the car, just because I COULD NOT PHONE, and an excess of R2250, before collection of the car and repairs start. So what happens in the event of a person being seriously injured in an accident and is unable to phone? What happens if a phone is crushed in accident? Do all these cases go unattended to as well just because "you did not phone us" ? Its disappointing to say the least. All my business is done through ABSA, insurance, extra covers on finance, banking etc, everything, so should I fear for the 1st time I'm going to need service or assistance when I buy a house next year or take out a annuity as we'll ? I made the first call on wednesday morning 26-10-11 at 11 am From ABSA Rustenburg waterfall mall to claim, they said the system was off and would contact me back, I phoned again friday morning 28-10-11 and they said they would call me back, yesterday 31-10-11 finally I heard back and now you give a plain refusal to the situation. I thank you for the service as I take it as a lesson learned. I cancelled my previous insurance from Budget insurance as you contacted me promising a better service, now I regret that.
Quinten Swanepoel.
Policy number 0058 1887*001

Comments

• Re
      Feb 10, 2014

To whom it may concern,

I'm ensured by Absa idirect and my car was involved in an accident
    in November 2013 and it couldn't move after the accident which means no
    transport for me up until now. Absa idirect only approved the claim in Jan
    2014, the rented car was only provided for 30 days, the assessor recommended
    that they don't fix all the damages on my car, I was never advised about what
    is approved and not approved, towards the end of Jan 2014 the panel beaters
    informed me that my car was complete, I went to check the car and it was still
    not moving and some damages at the back were not fixed, when I enquired i was
    told that they only fixed what was approved by the insurance, I phone the
    insurance and they referred me to the assessor who rudely told me that the
    insurance approval was based on his assessment that the other damages were as a
    result of previous accident and NOT this accident, therefore, they will not be
    fixed I should take my car as it is and he doesn’t want to discuss further
    about this issue, I must take my car to AA for technical inspection.

My concern:

The damages were not there before this accident

The car was moving prior to the accident

The previous accident was also fixed by Absa insurance recommended panel
    beaters

Absa idirect can't even bring my car back home as they picked it up not
    drivable

I still don't have transport as my car is not fixed and I am told to take my
    car to AA for Technical inspection while it's NOT drivable.

Why did I have the car insurance when I now have to suffer like this??????

DR. Nkosi

072 583 7801

• Cl
      Feb 24, 2017

I can also say the same. Took out a R1890 policy to start the 1February 2017. They debited me R4800 due to this discounts they apply to get a cheaper quote then your current insurer. They got the start date wrong as well and never applied the discount and debited me twice. I am cancelling my insurance with them and are going back to Outsurance my previous insurance company. I am just glad I switched away from ABSA idirect as it is clear they are very incompetent if you read all the complaints on GOOGLE.

• Cl
      Feb 24, 2017

I can also say the same. Took out a R1890 policy to start the 1February 2017. They debited me R4800 due to this discounts they apply to get a cheaper quote then your current insurer. They got the start date wrong as well and never applied the discount and debited me twice. I am cancelling my insurance with them and are going back to my previous insurance company. I am just glad I switched away from ABSA idirect as it is clear they are very incompetent if you read all the complaints on GOOGLE.