ABSA Bank / my account that was frozen

Pretoria, ZA

I have a ABSA savings account and on 24th of March I tried lock on my internet banking because I wanted to load a new beneficiary then I received a notification that I cannot lock on my account. I immediately phoned the internet customer help line and was informed that my internet banking was blocked cause my bank charges for my internet banking of the previous month could not be debited insufficient funds and this amount was R67.00. I asked the consultant who assisted me whether this amount is not going to debited automatically from my account and if internet banking is going to be reinstated automatically after the amount is debited and she said no she is going to give me a reference number then I have to phone the customer helpline the following day, Saturday at 14:00 authorize them to debit this amount and then they are will be able to reinstate my internet banking. On the 25th I have received notification via sms that my salary was paid in and then I went that morning to my the Silverton branch to request that by internet banking to be reinstated which they have done. After my visit to the bank tried to purchase goods with my debit card and this was declined I went outside the shop to draw money to draw money at an ATM wish was successful. I tried the Sunday again to purchase with my debit card and was and is still blocked.

On Thursday I received a call from ABSA Loans that my debit order deduction of R2 000.00 was not received and I told them that I have received notification that my debit order was deducted from my account but they told me that it was returned as my account is frozen and they are going to hand me over to the legal department if I do not pay the amount immediately after I have spoken to them I have checked my sms notification and to my surprise I saw only one of the loans to the amount of R1 500.00 went off and I assumed that the debit order of R2 000.00 and I have not received a sms that the R2 000.00 was returned. I have also received a call from another that my debit order of R500.00 did not go off.

I just need to know that how is it possible that my whole account can be frozen just because of a R60.00 bank charges that did go off. I could understand if my only my internet usage was blocked but to block my whole account and my other concern is how it can be possible that monies were deposited into account and only some of debit orders were successful. My two ABSA loans normally gets deducted as soon as my salary reaches my account therefore I assumed that both amounts were debited. I cannot use my debit card as yet and need to know whether I have to go to my branch again to activate this and also whether this is normal procedures with ABSA to freeze and active account just because of bank charges of R60.00 that did not go off my account since my salary is paid into this account account each month?

I really immediately need confirmation about this because I do not want to change my banker but if this is normal process by ABSA then I have no choice but to change my banker.

Au