ABSA Bank / refusing to close credit card account

1 South Africa

I am hoping someone can assist me. I had a credit card with ABSA Bank, was in arrears and was subsequently handed over to their legal recoveries department. I then made arrangements to pay off this account and did not miss any payments that was required. However to my suprise on the 30th March 2011 i received a call and a letter saying that i had been handed over for a missed payment. I immediately called their legal recoveries department and it took a further 8 days before this was sorted. The excuse someone made a mistake but who that person was nobody could give me that information. (2) At the end of November 2011 i received a call from an ABSA call center person informing me that ABSA is offering me a special settlement to close the account. I thought it was a hoax and called the ABSA legal recoveries departmentont the 7th December 2011 and spoke to Martha who confirmed that this is true. She gave me the amount which i was to pay to close the account and said that the offer is valid until the 31st December 2011 and also informed me that should i need more clarity or assurance i can go inside any ABSA Bank and speak to their consultants. On the 21st December I went to the ABSA Bank in Brackenfell South Africa - Client Services and spoke to Roxanne who call the legal department and confirmed the amount the same amount (R5098.47). She also informed me that the amount would reflect the next day and that in order for this account to be closed i had to phone the legal department to close the account. I paid the amount. On the 22nd I called the legal department on [protected] and spoke to Prudence who informed me that the account cannot be closed because the amount that i paid did not reflect in the account. However she promised that she would check the next day and because the person working with my account was on leave (Previa) she would sent a request to the support centre to close the account. Today on the 29th December i called again and spoke to Denise Buys asking if the account has been closed. To my surprise it was not even though Prudence assured me that it would be after 72hours and i would receive a letter stating that the account is closed. The explanation from Denis was that the majority of the staff is on leave and she would send a second request for the account to be closed. 20 minutes later i received a message from ABSA saying that i need to call the legal department urgently because i short paid on my account and the account cannot be closed. I called immediately and spoke to Denise Buys again and again the excuse is "a mistake was made by someone" and that i now have to pay an extra amount of R150 before the credit card can be closed. This surprises me because (1) I was called an amount was given (2) I called the call centre who confirmed the amount (3) i went into the branch at brackenfell an ABSA client service consultant phoned the legal amount and confirmed the amount again. (4) Now that i paid the amount which they gave me now it cannot be closed because "someone made a mistake". This is unacceptable to me how can an amount be confirmed 3 times and then its someone's mistake and I have to pay an extra R150.
if anyone can assist me kindly contact me on email vmakana@ufh.ac.za

Ar