ABL/used boat listings / False representation

1 Patchogue, NY, United States Review updated:

I was contacted by a saleperson from American Boat Listing. He said he had buyers for my boat. The entire sales pitch is a lie. They claim to attend over 40 boat shows and put your boat in a printed directory. This guy went so far as to tell me he had many couples interested in my boat. I signed up and never received one call even after dropping my price to half the value of others like it. Now when I call this guy has the balls to tell me he is getting offers but the prices are too low. I asked to speak directly to the buyers and obviously that is not possible. They get you to pay from 100 - 500 for a listing and its a scam! This company doesnt sell any boats!

Comments

• Ab
      12th of Mar, 2010

The word "scam" simply does not apply here. Also, the statement "The company does not sell any boats" is simply not true"

Every testimonial on the site can be easily verified.

Here is a link to our newsletter which reaches 175, 000 people a month currently.

Its a shame that sites like this will print ANYTHING without any type of verification.The internet unforunately has become akin to a bathroom wall where anything can write anything about anyone without any proof.

Howard Solow
    ABL employee

• Ad
      12th of Jul, 2010

Hi Howard,

I have recieved 18 calls in the last 4 months from various folks at ABL boats seeking a listing. I have repeatedly pleaded with each caller as well as utilizing the ABL customer service 'e' mail to get you folks to stop calling - but I just got another call today.
    It's pretty typical that there is no phone number for ABL boats on your website and that you do not respond to the 'e' mails or my pleading. I am not only on the 'do not call' list but I have also filed a harrasment complaint about the multiple calls originating from your company.
    Of course I can EASILY verify all of this through my phone records, 'e' mail records, and caller ID.

So how are you going to stop the calls to my house and will you state that here?

Ron

• Bk
      27th of Sep, 2010

I may not go so far as to use the word "scam" but I will say that ABL Boats did not live up to the hype that the salesman pitched to me. He called me and told me that boats like mine were typically selling for around $18, 000.00 and he had "every reason to believe" that my boat would sell "very quickly." Long story short, approximately two years later, my boat still hadn't sold and I had received all of ZERO inquiries on my boat. That's right, not even one. When I called to complain (which was very difficult to do since I had to spend about an hour researching the internet just to find a phone number I could call), I was told that I had never been given a guarantee that the boat would sell and that my $400.00 was non-refundable. I ended up selling the boat myself through Craigslist (a FREE site where I received dozens of inquiries and was able to sell my boat very quickly). Don't waste your time, money, or energy with ABL Boats. You'll be sorry if you do.

• Mb
      26th of Jan, 2011

ablboat man is a lier. SCAM is being used correctly as I was scammed out of 500 dollars with a verbal guarantee my boat would sell in six weeks. Boy how stupid, I should have known. It amazes my how I was so taken by the pitch. As Charlie Brown would say "I NEVER KNEW I COULD BE SO STUPID"
    Live and learn.

• Co
      4th of Oct, 2011

I agree with Ron.
    I fell for the "scam" with my boat listing. Never one call.
    And like others, my boat was priced WAY below market. Remember the pitch, "we have people cash in hand ready to buy your exact model of boat"...
    I called b.s. immediately - BUT... I went through the listing because other sales site ads expire after a time.

Anyways - the pitch is b.s. - they may have an online site and even go to boat shows - but the sales and "gotcha" pitch when they call is false and misleading.

Funy how after I paid, they still called and emailed to ask me to list my boat... Don't you know I'm already a customer?

That said, I have since sold my boat - Thanks Craigslist!!!

But... Now, trying to get off their multiple email lists is a nightmare. Emails, calls, etc...
    I can't get them to stop.

Complaint now going to FCC today