Aamco Transmissions / awful company

7201 Garfield Ave.Huntington Beach, CA, United States Review updated:
3.35
Phone: 714-842-8722

I took my car to Aamco for a transmission repair. I signed an agreement for $995 to have them remove, inspect the problem, and re-install the transmission (Minus parts required to correct the problem). When Steve the General Manager called me with the results, he wanted $4000 to correct a first gear synchronization problem. There was no relief for the list of parts that he stated needed to be replaced to correct the problem. I paid to have the transmission put back in the car with no repairs. Aamco is in the transmission business, this was not the first transmission they have seen with a similar problem. Had they told me up front they were going to charge me three times the market value for the replacement parts, I would not have let them touch my car.
Va

Comments

An
  7th of Jan, 2009
Bringing my car into this AAMCO was the worst experience with any business that I have ever had. I spoke withthe owner Vijay last week and told him my situation. My speedometer stopped working and the day it stopped working I noticed my check engine light would go on about ten minutes into driving and shut off everytime I turned the car off. AAMCO advertisment states that they will check and diagnose the "check engine light for free promotion." After speaking with Vjay many times on whn to bring the car in I took a day off and brought it in. I called about two hours before to make sure he remembered me and taht it was still ok to bring in my vehicle. His exact words were that I could bring it in and they would look at it for 45 minutes and if they couldn't figure it out they would call me and I could make the descision to move forward or take my car back free of charge. He stated that I shouldn't go spend a bunch of money somewhere when they would check t free of charge. I was satisfied and arranged a ride, and a rental car. I was just relieved to have someone look at it at this point.
I arrived at AAMCO at 1:30 pm and was behind a couple that was getting their car. After they were done I was greeted by the manager. He stated that Vijay wasn't there and "what did I need?" I stated that Vijay told me to come in to get the engine light checked and that I could get whatever work done here once it is diagnosed if i chose to do so. He laughed about me taking teh day off and said "its almost 2pm, what are you talking about?" I was immediately turned off by Steve's attitude and I already knew I did not want to do business with this guy. He then calls Vijay asking him if this was true about doing a free engine light check.
He slammed the phone on the reciever and said "ok I will look at it for 15 minutes and you better believe I will be calling you to start charging you almost immediately. Your car is a dinosaur and its old man!" I was so repulsed and insulted that I said "this was obviously a bait and switch to get me in here and I am leaving now." He then kept telling me to stop looking for freebies and to get a new car if I didn't like it. I let him get the best of me and I told him that he was a jerk and I have never been talked to in this manner. I then walked ou and got into my car. Steve followed me out yelling that I need a new car and threatened to "beat my ###, " if I complained. He then yelled some racial slurrs that don't apply to me whatsoever. I am Italian and Irish and he was calling me a "stupid mexican!" I don't know who you have ruuning your stores but this guy is a huge liability. I have contacted the BBB as well as my family attorney. The racial slurrs and the intimidation was all over me being invited in to take advantage of a national advertisment. I understand that there are restrictions and limitations to prmotions but this cost me a day off of work, a rental car, humiliation and being intimidated? I know I have an old car. I get in it everyday and drive it. I don't need to be ridiculed about driving a "dinosaur." I would NEVER take my car to these crooks
Th
  14th of Jan, 2011
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Boy, sometimes you can't follow the logic scheme with some people. Anonymous, you take the day off of work and show up at almost 2:00pm? What if you wanted the vehicle repaired? Then what? Still have to diagnose, order parts, wait for their arrival, repair and then test drive... all by 5:00pm!!! Sometimes people just aren't being realistic. Frankly, I don't mind if people look for freebies, but remember, if someone is going to do you a favor, be respectful of their time.
I also notice that Jonas is an ex-employee huh? Most likely a fired one. When you fail for your next employer you can go on the net and bad-mouth them too.
The worst company in the U.S.? I disagree. How many other companies give you a warranty that's backed in every state, with warranty options to fit your budget? These are things you won't get from any local garage. Look around you'll see.
Sometimes I can't help but wonder when I read some reviews, They seem to have an underlying theme to most of them. Some people are so upset with their own financial situations that the internet is the only way they can vent. Why is it that countless happy customers get their vehicles repaired with out a hitch all have one thing in common, they can afford it. But if it's the opposite, they're getting ripped off.
One thing Mr.Larry Engels at the top of the page never mentions is what type of vehicle he drives. Probably an expensive import... Well Larry, if you drive an expensive import, I'm sorry, parts are expensive too...
In the future, leave a name and city where you are from "anonymous" that way you can be contacted and possibly get your issues resolved.
St
  21st of Mar, 2013
you failed to mention you have a high end exotic 6 speed transmission with heavy duty parts to handle high horsepower which costs more money then your usally manual transmission thats in 90% of the cars.

AAMCO Transmissions Logo AAMCO Transmissions