AAA.com / new policy leaves cutomers stranded

Florida, NY, United States Review updated:
Our car would not start and according to aaa and their "new policy on towing" we were stranded for 3 hours!!!
This new and stupid policy requires verification that cars are really broken down before sending a tow truck so, essetially we had one car come to where we were to check the car and then finally the tow truck. To make matters worse, it was during the holiday so my family that was visiting had the joy of sitting there for hours.
Thanks aaa for screwing up our holiday!!

We will be purchasing another towing plan and will drop you ###s... Soon

Comments

Di
  6th of Sep, 2009
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
where was that? my sweetie works at a towing company that contracts with AAA, and he's not heard of this...at least not yet...would like to know because if that's the case, his company intends to raise hell with AAA...
Ke
  16th of Oct, 2010
I realize this is an old post, but being I am reviewing all of these complaints today I felt it needed my 2 cents.

I read and re-read the complaint a couple times because it "just didn't make sense" to me. My background: I am the operations manager for a towing company in Oregon and we are also a AAA provider. I've been in the industry since 1996 and with this company since 1998.

As such, I have come to the conclusion that this is not a policy of AAA...because there is no such policy...but what happened is this:

Your car wouldn't start. You called AAA. Not knowing what you told the AAA call taker, if you just said, "It won't start. We just came out from shopping and it won't start." They dispatched your call to the contracted towing company as "won't start, possible tow".

The towing company was probably slammed that day (for whatever reason) and in an effort to try and provide you with faster service, they sent out their "service" truck...not a tow truck...to see if they could get you going.

Trust me. This is standard practice, especially when a contract station is very busy. We have a service truck too that provides jump starts, lockouts and tire changes. The truck is faster and more fuel efficient than having a tow truck running around providing these same services...even though tow trucks are still capable of doing them.

When they arrived in the service truck, the driver probably mumbled something about how he was just trying to see if he could get you going and if not, they would send the next available tow truck.

All of that being said, that is NOT how we would have handled it.

First, if in fact, your call was dispatched to us as a "won't start, possible tow" we would have called you back and discussed what was happening. Is the engine just making this loud clicking sound when you turn the ignition, etc.?

If we determined thru some simple questions that a service truck might be of assistance...because a tow truck was still hours away...we would have asked you if it would be okay for them to respond and give it a try.

Some people respond enthusiastically, "YES...send them!" and sure enough, the service truck can get them going. Others are more sure that it's a "bigger issue" and would rather have their vehicle towed to the repair shop. No problem. We won't waste our time sending the service truck and just get you lined up in the rotation for towing.

Either way, the towing company was at fault for NOT clarifying this with you. We have a policy here at our company that all third party calls need to be verified by our own dispatch if possible.

Meaning, when we get a call from AAA, our own dispatchers will make every attempt to contact you personally to confirm location, # of passengers, nature of the breakdown and an accurate ETA for your situation. Not just an ETA that AAA has us set to on their master screen at the call taking center.

But that is our policy and unfortunately many of my collegues don't adhere to the same customer service principles.

Still, I think the point needs to be made that your complaint is with the towing company and not AAA and it's "new policy".

I respect that as a AAA member, your perception is that whoever responds once you've called AAA is...in fact...AAA...even if it's just a AAA contract station.

And I also recognize that you are rightfully very frustrated with what happened in your situation. I would be too.

However, for clarification to all other readers: This is not a AAA policy that your car has to be "proven to be broken down before a tow".
Sa
  14th of Nov, 2011
Sorry iCAN UNDERSTAND your frustration and complaint. I was told that there is a "new policy" regarding dead batteries and that AAA no longer replaces a AAA battery under warranty until it has been charged for 5 hours and that you have to have documentation proving that the battery is dead. We all know their service people have the ability to determine this when they jump the car but now they want to charge the member $30 - $40 for this battery charge. I was so angry by this policy that I took my car to Firestone and they charged me NOTHING AND PROVIDED A REPORT THAT I COULD give AAA in return for a new battery. ON TOP OF THIS NONSENSE AAA is trying to charge my account for 3 SERVICE trips when every trip originated occured on the same day and it was all had to do with the dead battery. I call this POOR BUSINESS PRACTICE and based on the sleezy methods they are imploring, and with the competition of ONSTAR and google for travel information...they are shooting themselves in the ...aaaaa sssss eeee tttt sssss!

American Automobile Association / AAA.com Logo American Automobile Association / AAA.com
Overall Satisfaction Rating