A-TOPPs Moving and Storage LLC / Missing Items

Charlottesville, VA, United States Review updated:
Hired Nationwide Relocation Services for a move from LA to VA. They sub contracted with A-TOPPs. Pick up was a day early than quoted and movers could hardly speak English. They did not go over the insurance with me nor did Nationwide. Movers did not take inventory of my belongings.
On delivery, there are 4 items missing. The items that are missing are the ones the movers said they would box because I did not have a big enough box for a bike, several large bags. Those items are somewhere in their "warehouse." The driver was rude and tired. He took out his frusterations on me and unacceptable.
Filed a complaint/claim with A-TOPPs. Have been calling them everyday, so far they have found 1 out of 4 items of mine but will not ship them to me one at a time, only together. If all is not found, then I have to file another claim for the missing items.
I believe they will be doing this for a while to make sure customers get frusterated and don't call back. I will believe it when I see my bike returned.
This is unacceptable.

Comments

Ro
  26th of Jan, 2009
That sounds very close to my story. My room mate and I hired Nationwide for our move from New Jersey to Tampa, Fl. They quoted us the wrong price. When the movers got there (a day late) they gave us a different price which was triple what Nationwide had quoted. We could not cancel at that point because they would not refund our 600.00 deposit. This caused us to only be able to send "some" of our things with them. We told them to just take the large furniture items that were in the livingroom. They took those items and several boxes that we told them not to take. They did not take inventory of our things. Because of the misquote we had to rent a uhaul for an additional 1300.00 (including gas) to take the rest of our things. Nationwide said we would have our stuff by the weekend..we got it 2 weeks later. When our things arrived, the drivers were exhausted but nice. They were not told by Nationwide that it would be an apartment complex they were delivering to and told us that if they were unable to get within 75 feet of the apartment they would have to charge us an additional 75.00. Nationwide never said anything about this. When our things were unloaded, the footboard to my bed was missing; the headboard to my bed was cracked all the way down on one side (it was a very heavy headboard that is extremely difficult to crack); and my kitchen table that was handmade and irreplacable was ruined. It had scratches and deep cuts in the wood on the table top. It had not even been covered. I could see it when they opened the doors of the truck. It was uncovered and many things were piled on top of it. This is unacceptable. I am filing claims and I am also filing a claim with the BBB against Nationwide and Topps Movers
Ap
  12th of Jul, 2009
I had a claim against A Topps for damages from a move in February 2008 from Readington, New Jersey to Atlanta, Georgia. I filed a claim with Anthem to recover the damages. Anthem reviewed my claim and awarded a settlement. They sent documents that I had to sign, I agreed not to file any additional complaints or take any additional action against A Topps. I sent in the papers and eight months afer submitting I have not received the settlement check. When I called Anthem I was told that they investigated and determined the settlement amount but A Topps would provide payment.
I have not received payment from A Topps after making several calls. I aggreed not to discuss the details of the move but I will file a complaint regarding non payment of the damage claim. I would only hope that all of the details of the move will be made public in court.
In March of this year I moved from Atlanta Georgia to Orlando, Florida. I did this without the services of a "Professional Mover" at less than half the cost of my original move and nothing was damaged. The costs associated with my move to Florida in cluded air fare for my brother from New Jersey to Atlanta and back to New Jersey from Orlando and a $900 deep sea fishing trip I provided in appreciation of his help. I saved a lot of money and had a lot more fun.

A Pearce