A General Locksmith/A Local Locksmith / Locksmith ripoff

3649 Eagle Ridge DrJacksonville, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 904-223-6660
I just got ripped off big time by this company. They say 25 minutes, an hour goes by. It's about 50 degrees and I'm standing outside because I took their word for it. I call back 1 hour later and they say they're going to have the dispatched guy call me. 15 more minutes. He calls and says 10-15 minutes. 30 minutes goes by. I'm freezing. He shows up and immediately says "I'm not sure I can pick this lock. I may have to drill it out". At this point, I don't care. He tells me $45 in broken English. After drilling it out (OF COURSE he couldn't pick it. Sure. Right.) he offers to put in a new lock so I don't have to live without a locked door all night. I think that's nice of him and say go ahead. He does and then charges a grand total of $250 to my credit card. Are you kidding me?! Come to find out, he meant $145 not $45 for the initial service. I think they left me standing outside in the cold long enough so I wouldn't care. I'm very angry and calling the BBB and Attorney General AND Ken Amaro!
Jo

Comments

So
  24th of Mar, 2009
i agree, I just called them to come an unlock my 07 Tahoe he said he would be where I was in 25 minutes, it took him 1 hour and 25 minutes. Then after getting a 55 dollar quote. He then told me it would be 180 dollars, so I called pop a lock and they said they would only charge me 65 dollars so I told them to come out and the Guy from A generl said he would leave untill I paid the service fee of 145 dollars. what a rip off! they screw to many people.
Ca
  30th of Jun, 2009
Myself and 5 other people got locked out of our car at the beach in June. I had my 3 year old neice with me who I tried to cover to protect from the heat and sun while we waited 2 hours for A General locksmith. A local hotel told us to use them and when we did they said they would be to us in 30 min. After waiting 2 hours without and food or drink we called the real locksmiths "POP A Lock". Pop a lock was there in 20 min for $39.95. A General arrived about the same time and had told us $35 until he started to open the window then the cost went $125 to open the window as well as the $35. I looked at Pop a lock and he confirmed $39.95 TOTAL. I went with Pop a lock and still had to pay A General $35. He wanted my credit card so he could write my information on a blank receipt. I told him I could write him a check or give him $14 cash. He rewrote the receipt on another locksmith companies invoice and took the cash and left. A General was very rude and not trustworthy. They made me feel like a scam was trying to be ran on me.
Gu
  28th of May, 2010
Yeah they ripped me off too! Christmas morning I got locked out of my house and when I called they said $45.00 an hour later they said $319.00!!! They had me! I told the guy if he wasn't a jew I would be fighting him! RIPOFF STAY AWAY FROM THESE THIEVES!!!
What goes around comes around...A general locksmith you got it coming!
Do
  12th of Aug, 2010
Friday nite at 10:pm I locked myself out of my house and I called what I thought was a St Augustine locksmith as they had a St Augustine number listed. I was told they wold be here in twenty five to 30 minutes. At 11:15 he showed up. He looked at the the front door and said I don't want to damage the front door. My neighbor was here at the time and asked me what he meant by that. I told him I knew nothing about locks. I told the technician that the only other door that had single lock was a lever action door on the patio. He looked at it and said I can't get in this way...I then led him into the garage that had double locks. One was a security deadbolt and the other a round knob type lock. He asked me to sign an order for $115.00...$45.00 forthe service call and $70. for lockout as he put it. He then pulled out a tool and inserted it for about 5 seconds at the most and said I can't get in this way, I'll have to drill the lock out. It is now midnite and very hot and humid .He finally got in the house and asked me if I wanted to replace the lock and I said of course, you damaged it and I don't want a hole in the door over the weekend..He got a new lock and I asked him to rekey the the lock so I wouldn't have different keys and he said someone would be out tomorrow which was Saturday.. this turned out to be utterly false as the lock was a different make which I found out later and you cant' rekey a lock of different makes. He then asked me how I wanted to pay and I told him credit card. He went out got the machine and put it on the counter. I gave him my cc and he ran it thru and gave me the receipt to sign...LO and behold the charge was for a new lock he had installed totalling $190.00!!! . I refused to sign the receipt and he offered me $50.00 rebate and I told him no. They ran the cc thru anyway and I called the bank and they are not going to pay $75. for the new lock.. I called the a general office and talked to a very rude and crass lady who ended up hanging up on me when I told her I was going to contact the Attorney Generals office and the BBB. On Tuesday I receive a call from Janice at ABA Locksmith (apparently the same company) She was very courteous and tried to resolve the problem by contacting the technicians to replace the second lock the he damaged..I've waited 4 days for the problem to be fixed and still no results. I learned the technician was a Jewish immigrant who spoke or understood little English. A second tech was supposed to be here at 1 pm and it is now 4:00 pm. I also learned that the two techs are brothers and the second one hung up on me three times. After reading other complaints that are similar it appears that these techs are scamming a lot of people and I think it is about time they are stopped from doing this..I am 78 years old and I consider this a scam against the elderly and I am also contacting the Attorney Generals Office. THIS HAS GOT TO STOP.. Thanks
Ju
  19th of Nov, 2010
you people have nothing better to do then to sit here and [censor] about something that you have no control over...first of all when it comes to car lockouts, a locksmith charges based on what he needs to do to open your vehicle without damaging. You may say, well it took him 3 minutes to open, but you dont think of what can happen in those 3 minutes.. He can break your frame, he can damage or break the window, the seals. etc...pop a lock charges cheap, that is true, and alot of companies charge so little because they are a small companies that NEED to make any kind of money weather its 40 dollars, now if they damage your vehicle it wont be 4o dollars it could be more.. dont get me wrong, prices are exagerrated, but thats just something we need to realize, when calling a locksmith because YOU locked yourself out, expect to pay, thats just how it is. You need the help the locksmith provides it, why get mad for something you chose to do. Those of you who took the time to sit here an write a compalint talking about how you paid 250 dollars for this or 150 dollars for that, you know what you should of done? NOT PAID IT. Noone put a gun to your head and said PAY IT NOW OR YOU WILL DIE! You chose to pay for there services..If i was locked out and they told me it would be 250 to let me in my house because i need a new lock and this and that, i would say just open my door and ill buy the lock..very simple..
Lp
  19th of Jun, 2011
I locked myseft out of my house so i called locksmith. They told me that they will be at my house in 20 minutes but it took them 1 hour to show up. It took less than 5 minutes to open my house back door and they charged me $145 for it. WHAT THE F$##K? $145 FOR SOMETHING THAT TAKE LESS THAN 5 MINTURES? WHAT A ###ING RIF OFF COMPANY! stay away!