A & E Repair Service / Non flexible policy

United States Review updated:
A & E Repair Service, a division of Sears and KitchenAid

It's bad enough that we're given a four hour window in which we have to wait for the repair person to show up. It seems that this company also has a policy that the technician calls before he comes. If no one answers, he doesn't show up. This is a challenge for me because my husband works at home and is on the phone a lot. If a call comes through, he doesn't interrupt the call he's on to pick it up, leading the technician to believe that we're not there. I don't know of any other service that has this policy. They give us the window, and we wait.

When I asked that our account be tagged that we will be at home and that it isn't necessary to call, I was told that their policy was not flexible. If I didn't want my dishwasher repaired so much, I'd tell them to forget it.

Jan Slaby
Sebastopol, CA

July 25, 2007

PS: The last time I used their service, the technician showed up over one hour later than the prescribed window. He was crabby, didn't have the necessary part, and our oven, also a KitchenAid, wasn't repaired for another week.

I should also complain about KitchenAid. Both of these appliances are new and, fortunately, under warranty. This is the second time within a year that the dishwasher has broken down.

A  22nd of Jul, 2008 by
I agree and have similar issues with this company. The first visit out the technician was one hour later than he said he would be. He guaranteed that the through the wall AC unit needed a fan. He ordered the part and came back to install it. This time he was 2 hours beyond the 8-12 time frame and it did not resolve the problem.

He then ordered 2 more parts (to bring my total to $600 - when a new unit only costs $400.) The next appointment he did not show up at all. Then we re-scheuled and again did not show up at all... there was no phone call from him on either of these days!

Now it has been 6 weeks and I can not seem to get any issue resolved with the credit and picking up all the parts . I want nothing to do with this company.

Did I mention that this is a rental unit and I had to sit there the entire time waiting for them - while displacing my tenant? What angers me most is their customer service. They state a rep will get back to me in 24-48 hours... that was 4 weeks ago and I continue to call and noone will transfer me out of the call center. They gave me the address to their CEO out of Texas. What a joke... I was shocked to discover that Sears owns this company - NOW I will never buy an appliance from Sears.
N  1st of Sep, 2011 by
A & E has very poor service. These folks need to retrain thier managment, customer service and technician. they do not know what they are doing and are repersenting major companies. Companies like A&E have created the down fall of American economy.
A  28th of Dec, 2011 by
Worst company ever! If you are looking for repair work on a non-warrenty covered applience, look elsewhere! I am on week three of trying to get my Kenmore refridgerator fixed. First appointment (Monday) went well, technician was only 30 minutes outside the window. He diagnosed the fridge in approx 30 seconds. When he went to order the part, the issues started. The part was on backorder for two weeks (December 21 was the expected date). I opted to go with an off brand. The technician said it would be there in two days and rescheduled my appointment for the upcoming Thursday. I willingly paid half of the repair cost up front. When I realized that my husband planned to spend his turn waiting for the technician in the garage, I called A&E and switched our call number to his cell. Turns out it was typed in wrong. We missed our appointment. I rescheduled again, for the following Wednesday. A new tech came out to install the part, unfortunately it was defective. The tech re-ordered the part and rescheduled. Let me point out that the date of our latest appt was Dec 21. Our appointment was resched for Friday, December 23. On Friday, I called the company as it was 1130 and I still hadn't heard from a tech with the 30 minute warning. Turns out, my part was on backorder until Jan 9th. They didn't even call to cancel or reschedule my appt. I spent the next 1 hour on the phone with everyone they could transfer me to. After being disconnected in yet another transfer, I decided to call around to local parts distributers and found the part. Imagine my shock when the receptionist at a local warehouse informed me that they had the part in stock. They even happended to be a normal distibutor for A&E. I called A&E back and requested that a tech pick up the part and meet their scheduled repair date. 1 more hour being transfered around. I finally got a hold of someone in the escalation department who agreed that a tech could pick up the part and come on over and install it. At 445, I got a little worried and called A&E back for confirmation the work would get done. Turns out the tech that was directed to go get the part left early for the holidays. I completely lost all composure when the escalation department tried to shift the blame on me. Worst company ever! I now have to begin the fight to get my money back as I would rather eat the money than have them step foot in my house, wish me luck.
A  21st of Aug, 2012 by
agree similar experience. They broke a screw ordered it, scheduled me twice because no screw the first time then cancelled again for a day i wasn't available. they put me on the back of the list even though the repair was their own fault.
N  19th of Sep, 2012 by
A & E Repair Service has been to my house 6 times to repair my GE Profile Refrigerator which was purchased new in 2008. The compressor makes noise for hours on end although they have replaced 3 parts. I tried to schedule another service call at the request of the A & E Technician however the scheduling department not only said they would not schedule me an appointment for a "normal" compressor noise but called me "The Little Woman."

The sad thing is that no matter what brand appliance you purchase, the warranty in through A & E Repair!
N  21st of Dec, 2012 by
Actually there are alot of companies out there that service warranty work that isn't A & E. You just have to ask. Most manufactures will only refer you to the one that comes up on their list first.
D  2nd of Feb, 2013 by
A&E service policy is that the tech must stop at the house regardless if they reach the customer when calling or not. If you were told othewise that was rong. As far as the 4hr window the techs schedual can change by the hour and repairs do not allways go as planed. Better to give the 4 hr window.
N  13th of Apr, 2013 by
I took a lawn edger in with oil coming out of piston in 2010 when it was still under warranty your service tech said it must have been tipped over (which I know it wasn't) refilled with oil and gave back to me. Next year same problem of course now it is not under warranty and get charged I believe $65 for their service tech to tell me I overfilled it with oil this time. I never added a drop from when the last time their tech looked at it. Now this spring I go out in garage and notice ALL the oil has just completely leaked out of lawn edger SITTING UPRIGHT and is all over my garage floor. Their technician was obviously TOO lazy to tear into the engine and find the REAL problem or doesn't have a clue how to repair small engines!!! And they also ripped me off getting additional money out of me and still never fixed the problem. I am outraged by this and have contacted SEARS and whoever else I can think of any forums any site, BBB, I will do all I can to make sure they don't rip off any other consumers and to try and get consumers not to purchase any SEARS product again because there is NO WARRANTY with any products they sell due to the lack of service by A&E.
A  5th of Dec, 2013 by
I work at a fortune 500 delivery company, this is Peak during dec., I had to take off work to wait for the repair guy. He was supossed to be here between 8 and 12...well, no call, however he shows up at 115...I entered all the critical info about my washer when i scheduled the appointment (2 wks ago)...however, when he got here, he did NOT have the right part...then he tried to charge me for the visit! are you serious? I just want my washing machine fixed and i CANNOT take off work anymore this month...so disappointed