A & E Appliance Repair / Kitchen Aid / 4-attempts to repair a refrigerator - no shows

1 889 San Felipe AvenueSan Bruno, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 415-531-6779

I requested a service call on my refrigerator set up for 10/13/07 1-5pm-tech showed up at 8:00pm. He charged $260 for a part inside the refrigerator that did nothing to make the refrigerator to start make ice on the inside and dispence in the front. I called to request a second service call scheduled for 10/27/07 to find that the refrigerator a frozen line and that my tenant should defrost the refrigerator and then the ice maker would work. We asked the tech if the original part that was replaced for $260 every needed replacement and he could not a true answer. I set a third service call because ice was still not dis-spencing through the front-appt scheduled for 12/22/07 1-5pm - no show. I set a forth service call-scheduled for 1/5/07 to find out that a motor now needs to be replaced inorder for the front dis-spence to make ice $229 additional cost. I would like to know if a law exists about showing up late or no shows??? I have now spent $489 labor and part on this refrigerator-four service calls later and have to wait for a fifth service call when the motor part shows up by the door.

Comments

6th of Jan, 2008

I recently visited Las Vegas. While walking through the Planet Hollywood casino, I stopped by info desk to get directions. I was offered a timeshare tour in exchange for free show tickets and dinner for 2. I was told that it would be a 90 minute walk through of the new Planet Hollywood Tower and then be done. I arrived to find out it was a very high pressure sales floor and was treated very poorly when we decided not to purchase the timeshare. It was unbelievable how we were treated. They were selling $38k timeshares @ 17.99% @ $800/month for the life of the loan. Very poor communication between street rep offering tour and sales floor once you arrive. Our particular rep up and left the table when I told him we weren't purchasing a timeshare!! No goodbye, no thanks for your time. Oh yeah and the 90 minute presentation was 3 hours!!

• Am
      10th of Feb, 2008

NEVER DO A TIMESHARE PRESENTATION. THEY ARE HORRIBLE EVIL PEOPLE.

• Ei
      19th of Feb, 2008

I have similar issues involving A&E:

I purchased a Maytag Neptune Washer in July 2005. I purchased the extended warranty via NSI. Shortly thereafter, Whirlpool purchased Maytag. In early January of 2008, I got the error message "LR" which apparently means that the washer's motor is not running. I called NSI and they dispatched A&E. It is now 2/19/08. A&E has been out multiple times, approximately 8 or so. They have also missed two service calls that they scheduled (one of which the repair man said he set me up for, but apparently never did).

Whirlpool evidently gave them the wrong part numbers, or series numbers twice, so parts had to be sent back twice. The circuit board has been replaced, the water pump has been replaced, and the wiring has been replaced. A & E does not seem to know what is wrong or to be able to get the machine up and running. My complaint is not the individual repairman who has been to my home the last three times, but with the interaction or deals or tacit agreements that seem to be in place between the warranty companies, A&E and the manufacturers.

When the service man left today, he told me he was ordering a bunch of new parts, including the circuit board and wiring - WHICH WERE JUST REPLACED ON THE LAST VISIT!!! He claims that he has never seen so many problems with one machine. He also states that Whirlpool must declare it unrepairable. He has no idea what is wrong with it or what can be done to fix it.

I called NSI and A&E. Under the NSI warranty's lemon provision four issues entitle you to a new machine. According to NSI, however, this means THREE COMPLETED REPAIRS. In other words, although under anyone's definition this machine should be a lemon, as long as A &E NEVER succeeds in getting it up and running, its all still the same repair - all this stuff only counts as one reapair. Essentially, what they seem to be contending is that they can rebuild the machine over 6, 8, 10, 12, 18, 24 months and, as long as it's NEVER fixed, its not a lemon, it's just one ongong repair. They just get to keep sending A&E out, and I just get to keep taking time off of work. Interesting, no?

NSI says that it's a lemon under these circumstances if the A&E repair person deems it unrepairable. The A&E person states that Whirlpool must so state.

I will NEVER purchase an NSI extended warranty again. I will also never purchase a Whirlpool product again. For those of you who feel the same, BE CAREFUL....Whirlpool makes a number of different products under different manufactuer's names. I understand that GE and Frigidaire make their own products. I will give those companies a chance before I ever buy anything serviced by Whirlpool again. I don't know what's going on between these three entities, but if it weren't so ridiculous it would be funny.

• Ro
      19th of Mar, 2008

A & E also stood me up, TWICE, and the repairman never even called to explain or let me know what was happening. Multiple phone calls to both Sears and A&E were beyond frustrating- a follow-up call was supposedly scheduled, then THAT didn't happen. My GE dishwasher is not only non-functioning, but it is under a factory recall for possible FIRE. You would think A&E would provide good service, especially since they are the ONLY ones allowed by GE to replace the electrical parts that could cause fire damage. I am outraged at the lack of decent customer service on the part of both Sears and A&E...their call-in center for service seems to be out-sourced, as I detected East Indian accents on the part of some of the operators. In any case, consumers beware... we have to be adamant, even outraged, in order to get appropriate service.

• Cl
      18th of Jun, 2008

A&E is by far and away the worst service company in the universe.
    they lie to you everytime you call them.
    their technicians couldn't hammer a hot nail through a snow bank.
    whirlpool and every other appliance manufacturer who uses
    these clowns to service their customers should be ashamed for doing this to loyal
    customers.
    Since A&E techs first arrived at my home 6 weeks ago, I have a washing machine
    in a million pieces sitting in my kitchen and they refuse to send techs out to
    do the repair even though i've had the parts for weeks now.
    It's time we start writing to our congressman and senators to investigate
    this growing monopoly.
    whats truly scary is that almost every appliance manufacturer
    uses these clowns to repair, i mean not repair your broken appliance.
    it's an absolute joke.
    buyers of not only extended warranties but those still covered by
    the original manufacturer warranty will have to get them unfixed by A&E
    and even the manufacturers don't care that their customers are being shafted.
    i'm going to eat the 9 hundred i spent on this piece of garbage whirlpool washer
    and go out and get one made by LG, they are the only manufacturer I can find
    that does not use A&E.
    They wonder why Americans prefer cars from Japan well the number one reason
    I own Honda's is they have the best customer service you could ever find.
    Now if only they would start making appliances because the american manufacturers
    don't give a damn if buy from them or not because unknown to most folks out there
    is one very sad fact, no matter what name is on your appliance (except for GE and LG)
    it was made by whirlpool and whirlpool couldn't care less because if you dump them and say by a may tag
    you just bought a whirlpool anyway.
    I always though monopolies were illegal but I guess our government has really forgotten
    what the word illegal really means.

• Be
      22nd of Aug, 2008

I have a maytag washer and dryer that was purchased in 2005. I've had very good service out of these appliances and I'm very happy with them.

Also, my parents have the NSI protection plus on their appliances and have been very pleased with it. A warranty or extended warranty is only as good as the dealer or service company who does the repair. For this reason I will only purchase appliances from dealers who service what they sell. When my parents had a problem with one of their appliances they called the dealer who sold it to them and the appliance dealer called NSI and the dealer sent one of their service men out to repair the problem and billed NSI.

It has been my experience that best repair service is obtained from the appliance dealer who sold the appliance. This is usually a home town local business rather than a chain store or a home supply store etc.

• Pr
      6th of Aug, 2009

A&E is a complete waste of a service company. Not only do they not show up on the date they have scheduled, but they don't even call when they don't show up. This is by FAR the WORST company for service on appliances. I have no idea also why the Warranty companies use this sorry excuse for a service repair company??? I am still in a hassle with these idiots for service on my darn refrigerator!!! We all need to somehow get this A&E company off the list for repair service!