99 Chevy Blazer / This truck is breakign me

I was so happy to buy my first car, I found a nice 99 Chevy blazer with a 4.3, I did beat up on it like any other 17 year old would, but nothing to crazy well as you might have guessed the motor suddenly went out while on the highway doing about 50, no warnings, no knocking just died. So I had to break down and buy a replace a new motor.

Well I joined the navy {which means I am broke all the time} and I drove it from Shreveport, LA to Virginia beach when I got stationed there, well the second day I had it there they rear end stripped out on me. A few days after replacing it the newer motor I put in it blew again going down the highway. I don't know what to do i had to leave for deployment, and I know that after 7 months out to sea I get to come home to a broke down 4.3 vortec, I guess my best bet is to put a junkyard motor in it, and buy a Toyota!

Va

Comments

• Tj
      21st of Oct, 2007

You purchase a 10 year old truck, admittedly drive the snot out of it, and are surprised when the motor blows?!? Did you change the motor oil/filter when you first got the truck? Did you check/replace coolant? Did you break-in the replacement motor properly? You have to drive so many miles (not to exceed so many mph )until the rings are seated, then you have to run at varying rpm's. You also need break-in additive and a few oil changes before running the motor at highway speeds for extended periods of time.

The rear-end "stripped out"? What is that? Nuts & Bolts "strip out", not rear-ends. Did you change the rear-end gear oil when you first got this vehicle? How many miles did it have when you purchased? Had the rear-end oil been changed...ever? Did you check?

Get a bicycle. I predict a long line of automotive disasters in your future.

TJ - 1997 Chevy Astro w/4.3 Vortec motor. Never rebuilt, still runs like new, no leaks, no smoke. 209,000.0 miles.