86th Street Photo & Video / Fraudulent Sales Practices

1 NY, United States Review updated:

Bate and Switch.

Same deal as here: https://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/fraudlent-business-practices-c36877.html

In fact, after reading up on several e-commerce sites, I was specifically interested in purchasing a camcorder that was a NEW made for U.S. Distribution model. The information that this site provides to lowpriceDIGITAL.com specifically states: "In stock. Brand New & USA Model . . . "

After the "call to confirm order" e-mail (from that point I knew there was a problem), and the guy tried to upsell the add-ons, after refusing those, the next sell was to tell me: "Well, you know this is a unit that is made for sale in China, so it doesn't have a warranty. You should buy our warranty." Unreal, but true.

I also knew that there was a problem in that when I called back, I had to wait on hold for 20 minutes just to get to the point that the guy started in as above.

Avoid the rip boys and girls!

Comments

18th of Dec, 2007

I just had a very similar experience. I was calling in response to an e-mail which was supposedly for verification purposes. They started in with the battery for the camera I ordered was no good and that I needed to order another battery for my camera. Fortunately, I immediately had them cancel my order. I hope these shisters go out of business soon.

• Br

??
    New Jersey
    Phone: 800-815-2040
    www.86PhotoVideo.com

I ordered a Panasonic FZ50, 10 MP Digital camera. A sales rep. called me so that my order could be 'confirmed'. I was pressured to buy hundreds of dollars in accessories. I did not order accessories. After a week my order was 'back ordered'. I was told 6-8 weeks. At 10 weeks I called was told two more weeks. Five weeks later I was told two more weeks. These people are scammers. DO NOT buy from them!

13th of Apr, 2008
    86th Street Video - Scam artist and liar
    86th Street Video
    Unpublished
    New York
    www.86photovideo.com

I ordered an item clearly marked in stock, when called to confirm order I was pressured to purchase accessories to which I declined, shortly thereafter I was notified that it was out of stock. When I called to complain I was treated rudely and told I would be blacklisted.

John.

• Da
      28th of Apr, 2008

Ordered a Cannon Powershot s5is over a month ago. They called back and tried to sell me accessories. I refused. Didn't even get a confirmation for over a week. When it came they said it was back ordered and would be shipped in 2 weeks. Now, a month later they say it won't ship for another 5 weeks. Called and waited on hold for 20 minutes only to be put back on hold for another 2 minutes and all they would say is it's back ordered 5 weeks and hung up. Never again for this place.

• Mi
      28th of Apr, 2008

I had the same experience with a Garmin GPS. After telling my wife we bought a different produce they started trying to sell her components we didn't need or want to get the price up. Once we didn't agree to the changes I received an email saying my product was not in stock and would not be available for 3-4 weeks.

Very rude when confronted with bad business practices like they didn't care about the business.

Buyer beware!

• St
      1st of May, 2008
    86th Street Photo & Video - Lack of Service
    New York
    Phone: 1-800-815-2040

I tried ordering a Sony Cybershot H7 camera from them in January 2008. I too didn't order any accessories from them because they were ridiculously high-priced. I had to call them numerous times to be continuously told the camera was on back-order--even though their web-site showed a lower price and "in stock"! I finally cancelled my order with them in April and ordered with another company getting what I wanted and delivered in less than 5 days. I would definitely NOT recommend 86th Street Photo and Video to anyone. Total waste of time!!!

• Pe
      2nd of May, 2008

http://www.86photovideo.com/ is the same exact company as Wisetronics.com, it's a fake company, a scam...because they have the same exact mailing address and are not open to public, here's the address 2845 86th St Brooklyn, NY 11223

what they do is post a super low price online, once you've made an order through their website, they will email you saying you have to call to confirm the order...once you've talked to their sales rep, they will insist upon you to buy additional accessories, if you don't, they will email you later stating that your product has been back ordered and will never mail you the product...if you choose to cancel the order, there's a 10% process fee off your purchase...if you've received your product by mail and wish to return it, there's 20% process fee

bottom line is, the company is basically made up of 3 people, with access to internet and a 1-800 number, first they get a 5 star rating from a top review site such as this, http://www.lowpricedigital.com/merchant.asp?merchant_id=2440&view=reviews

if you click on the link, you'll notice all those reviews are 1 line...which raise the question that those reviews are actually written by the people of the company who has set up multiple email accounts

all they need to do is to get you to buy overpriced accessories, or get you to cancel your order...even if they need to mail you a product, they just need to walk over to bestbuy to buy one that's much much cheaper...on average i think they overcharge $300+ per order...it's like shooting fish in a barrel legally

what i suggest everyone to do is to file a complaint at http://us.bbb.org/WWWRoot/SitePage.aspx?site=113&id=6cda12e2-5967-437f-876e-bd452a591b91

just click on the drop down menu of I am...a consumer --> file a complaint...with enough complaints, Better Business Bureau will do an investigation, there's no up-to-date law to protect us from internet scams, it's up to us to stop it

• Ca
      12th of May, 2008

i purchased a camera from their company on Thursday and on Sunday i received an email saying that we have processed your order and please call to confirm the order well they called me and asked why i didn't purchase a battery and i was like why should i purchase a battery when it already comes with it! so then we hung up two hours later i get another email from them saying that,

"We regret to inform you that by the time your order reached the shipping process, our inventory on the product(s) you ordered was negative, therefore your order will be placed on a temporary backorder until we receive the product(s) back again in stock which will be in about 3-4 weeks."

i'm thinking seriously next time they need to inform the customer buying your product that you don't have that product in your store instead of putting me on backorder right after you called my house trying to sell me a battery in which i didn't want to purchase because it already comes with one!
    So i called them and the confirmed the fact that my camera was back ordered for another 3-4 weeks so i was like alrighty i'd like to cancel my order unless your going to send me my item tomorrow and they're like we can't do that!

SO POINT! DONT BUY FROM 86TH ST PHOTO AND VIDEO!!!

• Me
      28th of May, 2008
    86th Street Photo & Video - Do not buy from them
    Maryland
    www.86photovideo.com

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM!! So searched for a good deal on a Garmin 660. Found this site...was rated 5 stars by lowestpricedigital.com. Obviously not so! They said the item was in stock on their website so I ordered for my trip in 1 month. Got an email saying I needed to call to verify my order. Just an opportunity for them to try and get me to buy accessories for my Garmin that I didn't want or need. So I ordered nothing. They said it was all fine and would ship. Got an email on the same day saying the item was backordered for 3 -4 weeks. Funny how that worked, huh? So I called and talked to shipping...complained, etc. Nothing they could do, etc. So I canceled my order. Now we will have to see if they actually don't charge my credit card!!!

• Pa
      18th of Jun, 2008

They scam people.

Address: 2845 86th St Brooklyn, NY 11223

• Ye
      21st of Jun, 2008

This is rediculus! 86th Street & Video needs to be stopped! It wasn't until after I placed an order that i noticed their web page title is "### Th3 W0rld". This should've raised suspision.

• Re
      9th of Jul, 2008
    86th Street Photo & Video - HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE + LIES

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME!!

All of the previous complaints you have read about this company are true. The GPS system I ordered was a great price, until I found out that it was backordered for 5 additional weeks (they had already told me it would be 3 weeks when I bought it). I had to call to find that out (sitting on the phone for 20 minutes every time I called because I was on hold for so long).. I received no email notification of the new backordered status. When I finally did reach a "customer service" representative (I use that term sarcastically, because they don't know anything about customer service), the same guy hung up in my face 2 times. All he said was "Your order is backordered for 5 weeks." CLICK. No time to ask questions or anything.

I finally got in touch with a semi-polite girl who informed me that the GPS system was coming from OVERSEAS (no one informed me of this) and that if I would buy the $149 memory card (WHAT A RIPOFF!) that I would not only get the free promotion of having a system come from within the US, but that I would receive expedited shipping, and that it would be at my house in 2 days. So, if I had not decided to cancel my order, then if I'd ever had problems with the system, I would have had to ship it overseas to have it fixed. That is a HUGE detail to leave out. Not giving all the information is LYING.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY ON THIS SHAM OF A BUSINESS.

Not only all of this to deal with, I now have to deal with the fact that they have all of my credit card information on file, and they haven't exactly proved to be trustworthy.

I hope enough potential customers read these reviews prior to placing orders with this company and that they are forced to go out of business.

• Kr
      20th of Aug, 2008

I had the exact same experience with the verification e-mail and back ordering that all these people have been talking about. Terrible company. They better not try to charge me a processing fee.
    Don't buy from them!

• Do
      21st of Aug, 2008

I had the exact same experience with these crooks. What I don't understand is how the NexTag search engine rates them as excellent.

• Ga
      26th of Aug, 2008

I fell for their persuasive tactics. I bought a garmin nuvi 660 for $189, what a bargin. Their website says all products Brand New. They sent me the infamous email, call to confirm. When I did they talked me into buying a 1gig sd card, they said it came with three years free map updates, for just $149. Well, by the time I found this site, my stuff was already shipped and my card was charged. The "new" product they sent me was in fact a refurb, confirmed by Garmin. It did not come with any extra updates, hence I paid $149 for a 1gig sd card that would cost only $7 elsewhere. This i1s a MAJOR RIPPOFF company. They have gone under many different names. TechonDigital, Wisetronics, etc... Stay AWAY!

You will be sorry if you order from them. Now I check google for complaints against any company that I plan on doing business with.

Hope this helps someone save a little cash.

• Ca
      22nd of Sep, 2008
    86th Street Photo & Video - Bad company
    www.86photovideo.com

Ordered a camera online on a Wednesday. I paid for 3-5 day shipping.
    The following Monday I receive a message that I must call them to verify order.
    When I called, the concern to verify was just a cover to try and sell me more stuff.
    They tried to tell me that it didn't come with a battery and I didn't believe them,
    so they said the battery it comes with only has 20 minutes of life. I still didn't believe
    that and refused to buy an extra battery. I also refused to buy a memory card they were
    pushing since I already bought some somewhere else.
    I told them my concern about not getting the camera within the timeframe since they had
    taken 5 days to call me from the day of ordering. They said not to worry, that I would have
    the camera no later than 3 days after that phone call.
    Once that day came and went, I sent an email inquiring into the shipping status.
    Finally, 12 DAYS AFTER ordering the camera, I get an email saying they have cancelled my order!!!

• Je
      5th of Oct, 2008

i ordered a zumo 550 for trip over night was paid extra just ready to leave was called and they were trying to sell me crap i did not want then all of a sudden will your order will be delayed for 5 weeks

thinking it was good deal i said ok so i waited and the called several times since this was in april of 08 and now it is oct still nothing i am lucky they have not billed my account .never buy from them call or write your complaint to the attorney generals office in new york thay also are rud and fearless when cofronted on phone

send all your junk mail to them and call them with ### every day just to give them yaste of there game back

• Va
      13th of Oct, 2008

DO NOT PURCHASE FROM THESE SCAMMERS. They are running a scam with no product available if they are not able to "upgrade" you to overpriced accessories. They are extremely rude, attempt to be intimidating which is laughable, and act like gangster thugs. Professionalism is not in their vocabulary (if they had one). I would not purchase anything from an online company in Brooklyn. Had a similar situation with TechonDigital. They are probably the same entity. Already put a fraud alert on my credit card. These people shouldn't be allowed to advertise on the web. How can we get them off?

• De
      22nd of Oct, 2008

I ordered a gps 1 month ago after 2 weeeks pasted I called and
    believe it or not they answered and said it was back ordered
    for 2 more weeks. I called back again the last 2 days and they
    dont even pick up says call during there regular business hours
    for whick I have been calling. They got my credit card # and
    gave me nothing but grief. Please someone should take them
    out of business.