86th Street Photo & Video / Canon Powershot S5 S / False claims, high pressure!

1 New York, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-800-815-2040

I ordered a Canon PowerShot S5 IS online from 86th Street Photo & Video because they had the best price. They called and emailed me saying they couldn’t complete the order until I called them. When I called them they told me I needed to have special batteries for this camera. That was only the start of the sales pitch. They continued to sell me the “professional package for $1499 that had additional lenses, camera bag and case, filters, an additional warranty, and other junk.

When I opened the package I was disappointed in the merchandise and the lens adapter didn’t fit the camera properly. I decided to send everything back and called them. They told I couldn’t do that without a 15% restocking fee which is not stated unless you click on the “21 Satisfaction Guaranteed” box at the very bottom of the web page for details. The “21 Satisfaction Guarantee” you see when you first open the page doesn’t mention this.

Next I was offered many discounts and unfortunately agreed to the $500 discount. I am still unsatisfied with everything but the Canon PowerShot S5 IS camera but didn’t want to hassle with them anymore. Looking back, I would send all the merchandise back and then call my credit card company to dispute the charge. I don’ think 86th Street Photo & Video would have much success in getting their money then, or even their 15% restocking fee.

My advice to other consumers, find somewhere else to buy what you want. I have seen the same camera for only $20 dollars more at other reputable online stores. I have bought other thing online and never had this problem.

Comments

• Do
      5th of Feb, 2008

I am going through a similar issue. This company is not trustworthy and makes false claims to its customers.

• Co
      13th of Feb, 2008

I just barely escaped being completely swindled by the highest pressured salesman on earth when trying to buy a camcorder! They were horrid. After going through MUCH hassle in limiting what I wanted to order to simply the camcorder advertised online and having it shipped overnight, and after giving them my full payment information, they came back online & said they didn't have the item in stock & couldn't ship it overnight so they were cancelling the whole order. I believe this is because I wouldn't fall for their "extras", bringing their profit up enough to suit them. I couldn't believe the pressure. I feel nervous about the whole conversation since they took my payment info influding the 3-digit number on back, I even called my credit card company to put an alert on about them. GO ELSEWHERE!!! This is a total scam operation.

• Fr
      22nd of Feb, 2008

Where can I find a physical address for 86st Photo and Video? THEY ARE THE UNTIMATE RIPOFF ARTISTS!! I WOULD NOTY BUT OLD DIRT FROM THEM. PLUS, THEY GAVE MY CREDIT CARD INFORMATION TO SOME OTHER RIPOFF COMPANY. BUT i NEED THEIR PHYSICAL ADDRESS. CAN ANYONE HELP ME???

• Ki
      1st of Mar, 2008

to Fran P Orlando

After also getting ripped off by this terrible company, I began researching them. I found hundreds, maybe thousands, of complaints by other scammed customers. I also found an entry that the person indicates may be the center of operation. Also the Better Business Bureau has an address and name listed along with numerous complaints: Hope this helps! I might be out $900. I hope my credit card company can help. Keep me posted if you have any luck breaking some kneecaps. Ha Ha.

good luck,

• La
      25th of Mar, 2008

I call before ordering a Zumo 550 was told they were in stock and all items from mfg was in the box, I place the order, I get email its out of stock, then I get a call trying sell me a charger, that comes with the item, but was told they had them in stock, I call right back was told that they were not in stock, the person was ask why do you say in stock on your site, he says it dont, I said yes it does sitting here looking at it, rip off bunch people I asure you, I can only image what they will do with my credit card.

• Pa
      16th of Oct, 2008

Actually I am having similar problem with two other east coast internet companies. I am trying to order just camera body - without any other accessories, and so far I wasn't able to - it is either out of stock (they tell me that I have to wait 6 weeks and when I call 6 weeks later, they tell me that it will take 6 more weeks..) or I was told that they CAN'T send it to me if I don't buy the accessories - of course overpriced.
    Is there a way how to complain about this business practices somewhere?