86PhotoVideo.com / Bait and Switch

1 New York, NY, United States Review updated:

I was looking for the new Panasonic TZ5a and was surprised to find it over $100 dollars cheaper than other places. I should have taken that as a clue (as well as the "Proffessional" (sic) services they provide), but decided to try. I got the email stating they needed to verify and I called. Though very polite, the person was selling accessories very hard. When I declined, he said he would confirm my order. About five minutes later, I got an email stating that the camera was backordered and would be at least 4 weeks, but they would let me know. They gave me a way to cancel the order and mentioned that several times in the email. I got the feeling they wanted me to cancel. The account site they gave me didn't work, so I sent an email to the site they said to send it to stating I wanted to keep track of my order. It was returned as unaccepted by their mail server. I found another email for their customer service, and that didn't get returned... or answered. I called this morning and told the gentleman who I talked to the first time that I noticed it was backordered. He quickly offered to cancel it, which I did. I have a feeling that if I mentioned I wanted the accessories, that they would have found a camera to ship me. I only cancelled because I'm not sure that they would ever ship just the original camera at the price I purchased it for (I wouldn't have minded waiting 4 weeks). So I went to amazon and got it for a little more.

Mi

Comments

• Fw
      2nd of Jun, 2008

I had exactly the same experience with a digital camera. I ordered by internet, received an email telling me to call. I called, was on hold for 20 minutes, and then verified my purchase. I declined two accessories. I was told the item would ship that day. A few minutes after hanging up, I got an email saying the item was backordered. I then left a phone message cancelling, as well as sending an email via my account cancelling. I haven't heard anything since, although I intend to call again to attempt to get an email confirming my cancellation.

• Ra
      15th of Nov, 2008

The worst place to buy anything. Will never buy anything buy and will suggest that no body should buy. They will never ship it.
    Have to finally cancel my HDR-SR10 order after waiting 7 weeks for shipment.

• Do
      17th of Jun, 2009

Bought tripod at 86th St P & V for $129 (supposedly professional model with fluid head, etc). Got the usual call to try and sell me some lenses, which I stupidly agreed to. Order was shipped immediately, so could not cancel. What I got was a piece of junk worth $12-15 at three different web sites, and the lenses were overpriced by 50%. Called to cancel and got the usuall rude treatment, although the guy offered to chop $120 off the total price. They charged me $79 stocking fee (20%) and ended by telling me he made more money on that then actually selling me the merchandise. Shame on me for not doing my homework, but DO NOT BUY from 86th St Photo and Video!!