800-608-0575 / Charged too much for a 2 minute phone call

United States Review updated:
I made a call on September 21st, 2008 from Manzanillo, Costa Rica to Chicago Illinois. I didn't even take 4 minutes or even 3 mintues and when I received my credit card bill the total was $41.91
I first called my credit card company and they told me that I had to speak directly to them. I called the 800 number and I asked the operator why it was so much money for 2 or 3 minutes and he said that is the way it works. I said that was expensive and he said that they can give me a discount for being a first time customer. Customer? I never signed up.
He put me on hold then he said that the discount they are giving me is of $16.75
I said that was good and I said thank you. But I still think $25 is too much money for the minutes I took.

Should I do more?
Please help.

Rosario Garcia

Comments

De
  16th of Oct, 2008
i have this exact same issue on my credit card a couple days ago. i paid cash for a call that lasted about 3 minutes. it cost me about 3 euros. i didn't have any change after that so i used my credit card figuring the charges would be the same. a 5 minute call cost over $40 and a 10 minute call cost $112. have called the credit card company and they just said they would "look into it". the biggest problem is that there was no indication on the public phone as to what the charges were. i'm outraged and searching for some sort of justice.
De
  29th of Oct, 2008
I was scammed as well on Oct. 2 in Budapest, Hungary. I landed, saw the little sticker on the phone about making the call, and found when I got home that I was charged $41.91 by "800-608-0575." I was on the phone for a minute, two max, just to let my family know that I had arrived safely. Does anyone have any photos of the stickers on the phones that can be used as proof? What more can be done?
Dennis
  2nd of Nov, 2008
This company may be BBG Communications, and they are a rip off. I literally just got off of the phone with them in trying to dispute two calls I made from my hotel lobby in Boca Chica, Dominican Republic.

Their rates can range from $3.99-$4.99/min, and there is some other service fee added on because they use "satellite" technology to process the phone calls. I received two charges, for $41.91 and $82.82 for two phone calls made (one incomplete). I called to dispute them, and am supposed to be receiving a credit for $49.88.

Regardless, I'm complaining to the Better Business Bureau. There are no fees posted on the payphone, or announced during the connection of the call. Also, I'm kicking myself for not using my cell phone instead. I HIGHLY recommend if you're traveling overseas to call your cell phone provider and see if 1) your phone will work where you'll be traveling, and 2) what the airtime fee will be. Verizon said they would've charged me $1.99/min. And you know what -- your cell phone provider cares more about your business than these stupid companies, so they will stick to whatever you're told by their customer service representative.
Bo
  7th of Nov, 2008
Weary travelers take heed!

Same situation...
Made the first call to check in from Brussels $52.92 for a few minutes.
5 days later, needed to call home again and tried to check my credit card charges over the internet to see how much my first call was, but of course it hadn't posted yet...

Made the second call talked slightly longer and was charged $102.77.

Outragged, I called the 800 number and spoke to "Irma Smith" (could this be an alias?).
Without hesitation she told me to check with the operator before placing the call, but she would help me since I am a first time user (and last I might add). She told me she would be crediting me $61. We'll see if it posts to my account...

I you found this site because you got scammed... give them a call... it's better than nothing.
Kr
  25th of Nov, 2008
Same thing happend to me... 2 calls from Jamaica $41.94 and $41.91. Called the company and they said they would credit me $33.54... 2 calls will still cost me $50... Needless to say i'm pissed! Wish i knew who to report them to. Has anyone received their credits promised to them? Has anyone figured out who we could report this to?

Kristi
Ri
  26th of Nov, 2008
Had the same problem in New Caledonia. Talked to IRMA. They immediately agreed to refund some of it. They are a US company based in San Diego. Call the FCC Phone: 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322) or check around on their web page. http://www.fcc.gov. They handle this sort of problem. If enough people complain they will stick it to that company.
Zo
  28th of Nov, 2008
Same thing: I called on November 8, from Frankfurt, Germany to Prague, Czech republic - less than one minute letting my folk know I'll be there one hour sooner. My account was charged $51.03 on November 26!!! Plus $1.53 International Transaction Fee! I am just about to call them...
  12th of Feb, 2009
14 minutes call from Dominican Republic to Canada = 83, 81USD$.

After reading the posts here, I called the number showing on my credit card bill. This number points directly to customer service.

They ask me my credit card number and from there, they were able to tell me all the call details (number called, duration, origin, etc..).

So, international calls are 3, 99/minutes + Admin fees.
14 minutes @ 3, 99$ = 55, 86$
83.81 - 55.86 = 27.95$
So, the transaction fee was 27, 95USD$ !!!

The operator put me on hold and came back with a credit of 33, 52$. It is "suppose" to be processed within 2 weeks...

We also got our card cloned during this vacation (Visa called us very soon after this transaction). We used our card 2 times. Once for a day trip (paid at the hotel) and once for this call. So, I think they are also selling cards number on the internet.

Do not trust this company. Change your credit card numbers after using this service.
Ho
  29th of Mar, 2009
I got hit for using this number at the airport in Sydney, Australia. I don't even remember making the call, may have just got my answer machine and am now paying $18.94. RIPPED OFF!!!
Na
  30th of Mar, 2009
Dear fellow victims,
I used a pay phone in Leeds, UK that wouldn't take coins. I was pressed to make two short calls and didn't have time to find another phone. I was charged $30 per call! I will try to call the company like one of you did and get as much of a discount as I can get. From now on, lets avoid even boycott that number.
Ch
  27th of Apr, 2009
Same thing happended to me in St Martin. Two 1 minutes call to the USA costed me $43.ooUSD EACH!!! I called the number back and went off on them, and like everyone said, they gave me a credit of $33.40 for being the first customer. What a bunch of ###ing crap. Never use your credit card for long distance call
An
  23rd of May, 2009
I am not happy. My daughter made two phone calls from the airport in Amsterdam to the United States...one was for 3 minutes ($37.93) and the next for 4 minutes ($45.91). I talked to Vince Ortiz. $33.63 will be credited. I am ticked. Why is this allowed to continue??
Pa
  27th of May, 2009
I also get the surprised to see how 2 phone calls cost me. From UK to Canada, a first call to an answering machine, 3min., 49$ on top the message was unaudible. And a 2nd call, 8 minutes, at 100$.
I called them and got a 52$ credit and was told the first message was to an answering machine as I talked for 6 minutes according to them. I have the message and it last 2 minutes 20 seconds ! they must live in another time dimension than us.
  15th of Jun, 2009
Same experience... four brief calls to check my voicemail in the US. Charged over $40 for each, about $170 in total. Anyone know of any legal venues that could be used here?
  1st of Aug, 2009
I'll throw my experience into the lot:

I placed a call from Singapore to San Francisco, for a whopping 6 minutes. The charge: $46.90!!! I called the 800 number, and was informed that there was a $15.00 "connection fee" and a rate of $5.31 / min. WTF???!!! Unbelievable! And: I got this same old "first time discount" BS and supposedly they will refund $21.10 to my card. Crazy. How can this be stopped???
Wa
  4th of Aug, 2009
I made four short phone calls from Rome's aeroport to Greece and was charged approximately $42 per phone call. After calling in and complaining, they volunteered to return $67.08 on grounds that I was a first-time customer, but threatened to withhold the credit were I to complain to any federal agencies about their practices. What a scam, beware!
Jw
  12th of Aug, 2009
I made two calls from these phones and the first call was about 10 minutes, the second was 5 minutes. In total I was charged $350! It said on the phone that it was .20 euro cents a minute. I haven't been able to talk to them because apparently they don't have my information in the system yet since it just happened a few days ago. This is ridiculous, they can't charge that much money when they say it's only .20 euro cents a minute and there is no other indication of it being more money than that. Also, it didn't tell you the cost once you dialed or the time. There has to be a way to stop this company from scamming so many people. Any ideas?
Si
  1st of Sep, 2009
You should also submit a complaint to the FTC. Again, more complaints => more likely that the Feds will come down on the company.
Mi
  7th of Sep, 2009
You can file a complaint with the FCC in one minute at
Sl
  28th of Sep, 2009
Same happened to me : I made 3 local calls from Prague to Prague each lasting below 1 minute, the total charge was US 126.97 $ :

CALL FROM CZ REP SEP12 800-608-0 $ 42.30
CALL FROM CZ REP SEP12 800-608-0 $ 42.32
CALL FROM CZ REP SEP12 800-608-0 $ 42.35

US 42 $/per minute for local call - is it a bit high ?