5/3 Bank (Fifth 3rd Bank) / overdraft fees
1. On 9/05/08 I had balance of 85.34 in checking account (pretty low i know does not happen often)
2. on 9/06/08 I deposited a check in the amount of 551.99 (I was aware that only 100.00 would be available immediatley giving me a balance of 185.34)
3. on 9/09/08 when I checked my balance in the morning because I knew I cut it close and had some debits pending from my check card, my available balance was 449.73 however I noticed an overdraft alert (I clicked on the alert however system told me data was not available yet please check later)
4. Now here is where it starts getting great -- a bogus "internet check" was cleared thru my account putting me overdrawn on my account. I did the math since everything was listed and my last 2 debits from my check card from Starbucks put me over my limit. So now theoretically these 2.00 cups of coffee I had purchased 4 days ago with my check card are now going to cost me 39.00 each (2.00 + 37.00 overdraft for each cup of coffee). Well I was upset but knew hands down the internet check was bogus and did not see any reason I would not win the dispute.
A. Internet check had invalid routing number (I went online and checked with CHECKCOMPOSER.COM and routing number does not exist (ended up it was old routing number from old bank before it was bought out by 5th third bank probably close to 10 years ago))
B. Check number was not even remotely close to my current check numbers.
C. Name on check was mine however address was Hendon Road in Hartford CT. I have never been to conneticut and Hendon Road does not exist in Hartford CT. (I called the police in Hartford and confirmed this was a bogus address).
5. It gets better -- So now I go to that Starbucks place and purchase coffee and a breakfast sandwich and put it on my dreaded check card (remember I just checked my available balance and it was 449.73) thus I new I had plenty to cover this purchase. Then went to the bank filled out 5 page form to dispute charge and went to work. Well the next day went back online to check on my accout out of curiosity and also look at my overdraft notice and behold this 74.00 overdraft was now 148.00!!! The ### took my 5.18 purchase that I had made the previous morning for my coffee and sandwich added it to my debits which had already posted and now instead of my last to debits being overlimit my last four debits were overlimit so they could tack on another 74.00!! One last note -- My overdraft notice is dated 9/09/08 however this 5.18 they added to the overdraft did not even post to my account until the morning of 9/11/08 It's unbelievable
To date it's going on for close to 5 weeks. I've had to close my old checking account, open a new one, I am still waiting for new checks to be delivered to me (3x i've requested new checks still not have received them) and have had to contact credit card company, cable company, health insurace company etc. All of which I explained that I had to close my account open new account and the # only gave me 6 checks to hold me over until they get new checks to me. I've had to do some online banking to pay some of these bills until I get my checks. 148.00 is not going to break me however it is a matter of principle — I will get my money and run
More 5/3 Bank (Fifth 3rd Bank) Complaints & Reviews
- Fifth Third Bank - poor customer service! 
- Fifth Third Bank - credit card application security 
- Fifth Third Bank - fift third bank is a rip off! 
- Fifth Third Bank - predatory overdraft fees (class action info) 
- Fifth Third Bank - unfair banking practice 
- Fifth Third Bank / 53.com - withholding funds
- Fifth Third Bank / 53.com - mortgage loan
- Fifth Third Bank / 53.com - customer service
- Fifth Third Bank / 53.com - auto loan
- Fifth Third Bank - misguided, inaccurate information given