33456 Skill2thrill / unsilicited textmessages @ $2 per message

1 Toronto, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

TMG is a marketing consultant used by Rogers Communication. I responded to a flyer which indicated that I was being rewarded for being a good Rogers customer. The invitation was to enter my cell phone number for a chance to win an I-pad or some such gadget. Trusting that rogers doesn't normally cheat customers I entered the information and then, reading further down the page, I was asked to subscribe to some daily texting. As my only intention was to respond to Rogers free offer I closed the webpage and forgot the whole thing.

On Oct. 11 I started receiving daily text messages such as - Is the sky blue? Text a for yes or b for no. I guess this is the skill TMG (ROGERS) is referring to. I deleted all of these texts as I received them and never responded to any. However, my Rogers bill shows a daily $2 charge for each of these so-called skill testing questions that were sent to me despite the fact that I don't want them, didn't ask for them and and never responded to them.

As soon as I became aware of these charges, I called the number provided on my Rogers statement to speak to a TMG representative who then canceled any further texts or charges. Now I want a full refund. The TMG (ROGERS) representative apparently doesn't handle refunds and referred me to this
site.

Comments

• Ne
      6th of Dec, 2010

Sounds like a text "premium" service group. I was getting similar things from 334-56 text number. It was a company called chipperz.com. Don't bother going there to check them out, the company home page simply has on it "it works" (glad I have virus controls fully on). It turns out this is a "premium" texting service ... meaning it is like a 1-900 number but they get to call you and charge you for the call. What a wonderful money grabbing scam. All you have to do is to reply to the text message with the word "stop" (nothing else) and they will in fact stop (an honest crook???). Meanwhile, they have made a few bucks off of you. Do that enough and it is a great living for the swindlers.

• Se
      9th of Dec, 2010

I also got similar kinds of messages and it appeared in my monthly bill. Just called the number 1-866-670-0126 and asked them to stop this service.
    But when I was browsing Rogers website, this service was popped up. That's why I subscribed it. Also while I subscribe it, they didnt mention that they will charge $2 for each message. Rogers needs to stop supporting these kinds of third party. It's really frustrating.

• Tt
      12th of Jan, 2011

do you have any email of them? how could we refund our money? thats not fair

27th of Jan, 2011

I have been scammed with this too on a Rogers phone. Rogers was no help-told me to phone TMG.-which I did other than stopping the service they were berating me for having agreed to it and therefore didn't owe me anything. Any ideas of how to get a refund. I I am mad as heck!! As far as I am concerned, Rogers is allowing TMG to collect money through Rogers. Somehow Rogers should be able to avoid passing on my $ which I supposedly owe Rogers. Why does Rogers let themselves be used like that?

• Lu
      20th of Jun, 2011

Don't we have a government body that should be checking this kind of anomalous rogers business activities? Maybe the government doesn't really care, because they get money from us to in the of HST on these kind of scams by rogers... or it is just a case of dumb and lazy people in the government? guess?

• 77
      8th of Jul, 2011

I know where the ###er lives and am gonna get em