24 Hour Fitness / restriction of services

Millbrae, CA, United States Review updated:
3.75
Phone: 9167214850
I have been a member of 24 Hour Fitness for over 20 years and was told the advantage of this membership was the number of gyms across the nation that I could use. I recently visited the new 24 Hour Fitness on ElCamino Real in Millbrae, CA. The sign on the building showed the 24 Hour logo, but when I attemped to sign in with my membership card, I was told that this was a 'sport' gym and if I wanted to use it, even though I was a 24 Hour member that I would need to pay an additional $10.00. I already pay an annual fee and was never notified that I would be restricted from certain 24 Hour gyms. This is a very nice facility, but the one I ended up going to in Serramonte was filthy. Isn't this prohibited use of 24 Hour centers a breech of my original contract? These 'sport' centers should not be using the 24 Hour logo if they are restricting their customers from using the facility.
He

Comments

Pa
  5th of Nov, 2008
I have a membership that also provides for unlimited access to clubs around the United States. However, with the advent of the SUPER Club, now these memberships which should be grandfathered, cost more money to suposedly "upgrade" to the better gym. What's to prevent this company from forcing everyone to upgrade by eventually eliminating older complexes. This must be in violation or in breach of the contractual provisions. Has anyone successfully argued this to 24 Hour Fitness? This almost seems like a class action dispute to me.
Da
  7th of Nov, 2008
I strongly agree. If a class action is started, count me in. This is a rip off. I thought I was the only one that was denied admission to these new "Super Sports". I've been with 24 hour fitness for 12 years, and my contract clearly says I have unlimited access to ALL the centers. I'm not about to drop another $10 to "upgrade".
Sa
  7th of Jul, 2010
Dear Fellow Members,
Please review the following regarding a class action suit settlement in California. Tens of thousands of members who signed "all club" memberships have now been granted access to SuperSport and UltraSport clubs. Please read...

McCardle v. 24 Hour Fitness USA, Inc.
Case Info. Alameda Superior Court, Case No. RG08414888
Case Issue Challenge to limitations on “all club” members access to newer clubs
Clients Approximately 458, 000 current and former members of 24 Hour Fitness
Attorneys Michael von Loewenfeldt, Ivo Labar
Result Class-wide settlement valued at over $71 million per year
Summary The firm filed a class action on behalf of members of 24 Hour Fitness who entered into contract for "all club" memberships but who have not been given access to all of the chain's newer clubs. The Alameda County Superior Court has approved a class action settlement in the case. The settlement involves members who purchased multi-club contracts before November 1999. View the final approval order here. Details of the settlement, including the Settlement Agreement and Final Approval Order can be found at www.mccardleclassaction.com. If you are a class member and would like to communicate individually with class counsel, please email mccardlecase@kerrwagstaffe.com

McCardle v. 24 Hour Fitness USA, Inc.
Case Info. Alameda Superior Court, Case No. RG08414888
Case Issue Challenge to limitations on “all club” members access to newer clubs
Clients Approximately 458, 000 current and former members of 24 Hour Fitness
Attorneys Michael von Loewenfeldt, Ivo Labar
Result Class-wide settlement valued at over $71 million per year
El
  26th of Apr, 2011
I have an "All Club" membership providing unlimited access to clubs around the United States. 24 hours is now going through conversion of some of their clubs into SUPER Club. Personally, I have seen some clubs with not much of a change and some with a major rehab. either way, i see no reason to be excluded from any club that was already in operation at the time i signed the agreement. however, i am now excluded even fro clubs in my area which i used to visit from time to time. I believe that 14 hour fitness is in violation of the written agreement and especially the spirit of the spirit in which the contract was presented to me at the time of sign up. i was assured time and again that my membership cost will not change and I will be able to visit any 24 hr's club, now in existence, and any one built in the future.
De
  8th of Nov, 2011
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Yes here we are nearly 2012, and i have been with 24 hour fitness for nearly 10 years. How do they repay me you ask? Well for starters, all the gyms that have sport club amenities in orange county/Irvine area are converted to Super or Ultra sports. For the lovely price of an extra $20 or $50 dollars, depending on ultra or super, I can upgrade my membership to take advantage of the amenities I already pay for. Or better yet, I can jump on the 405 and drive an hour during traffic hour to go to an accommodating all club sport fitness. No thanks, I will gladly pay more for LA fitness now..Have a good life 24 hour!!
Pi
  15th of Jun, 2016
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I signed up in November 2000 with an "all fitness clubs and sport club" membership and years later they came up with the "Super Sport" title on a club that is nearly identical to the regular club. Now they want me to pay more. I spent half an hour discussing this issue with their complaint department and was told to go pound sand. Terrible customer service. I plan on taking them to court.
Vi
  30th of Aug, 2016
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
I was never notified of the class action back in 2008. I have been a continuous member since 1983. How do I benefit from the class action. I have asked the clubs that I attend and they just told me I need to pay to upgrade.

24 Hour Fitness USA Logo 24 Hour Fitness USA