2005 Chrysler town and country / Spare tire storage area.

1 Hawley, MN, United States Review updated:
Phone: 701-866-7916

My dads 2005 chrysler town and country got a flat tire on the front drivers side. The spare tire is located directly underneath the front seats of the vehicle. When we tried to lower the tire it only went down so far and then would go no further. I had to physically lift the tire up to release the latches that hold the tire up. I did finally get the tire out. My complaint is the location of the spare tire it presents a safety issue of having to crawl underneath the vehicle while its on a jack. If you did not jack the van up there would be no room under the van to remove the spare tire. The other reason Im complaining about this is that the van fell off the jack as I was crawling out from under the vehicle, The jack gave way causing the van to fall on top of me!!..It was actually just the door since it was open from earlier attempts of trying to lower the spare tire. I am very thankful that I was not completely under the van. If I would have been it prolly would not be me complaining myself..It would have been my wife and two kids! I would call this a near miss..

Comments

• Fr
      12th of Dec, 2009

I had the same problem 2005 Chrysler Town and Country ...The tire was stuck part way down...the cable would unwind to the door but the tire was still stuck part way down. But I figured it was smart to not crawl under the van.
    With a cheap jack and no jack stands or car ramps. I could not get the #@$% tire down.
    No mention of what the problem might be in the owners manual. On a Saturday night no one to call at Chrysler.
    After messing with it for over an hour...trying to keep myself out of harms way. I called for help. Wound the tire back into place and got a new tire put on. A total of three hours...I'm a little upset...it is completely unsafe and a major screw up... some unknowing person will get hurt it's just a matter of time if it has no happened already.
    Tomorrow Under safe conditions I will attempt to fix the problem.

• Do
      29th of Apr, 2011

I agree that this is a totally unsafe situation. My variation is that the cheap lowering wrench mechanism stripped out as I was lowering the spare. The spare was only partially down and unreleasable but may have hit objects at that height from the ground. Lucky we had AAA who came and towed it to our local tire shop. If I didn't have AAA, could Chrysler pay for the tow? Is spare tire changing a safety aspect of the vehicle or is it just an optional convenience???

• Br
      21st of Jun, 2012

I agree. I have dealt with this on a couple of occasions in the recent past and both were unsafe. A secondary concern is that Chrysler has elected to use a proprietary lift point that only works with the jack that came with the van, as opposed to a standard floor jack or even jack stands. Unless you can get the vehicle up so far that you can get a jack stand under the axle, you are out of luck. The rail adjacent to the lift point will fold over like a wet cracker if you lower the van onto a jack stand there, as will the lift point itself if you use a typical floor jack that does not have the notch present on the proprietary jack.

• Ge
      16th of Nov, 2012

WTF, is all I can say!! I mean, I am a small woman, however, I am perfectly capable and knowledgable, of changing my own flippin tire...
    However, that being said, I am NOT capable of defying the laws of physics, and attempting to place my body, underneath the thousands of pounds, that my vehicle must weigh, along with, being inside the vehicle, at the same time, to turn the flippin crank that is supposed to lower this freakin spare tire... And for the love of God, don't crank it back up too far, or even the tire shop won't be able to replace your spare tire, back under the vehicle... I just decided to say, "F__k it" and keep the damn spare in the trunk!
    I just don't even understand... I have been in love with this mini van, since I bought it earlier this year, but really??? WTF?!!

• Tw
      28th of Feb, 2013

I am so ready to drive this van into a pole and say you can have it back!! This is the second time that I am trying to get the spare down and it will not let go. This is a known issue and there should be a recall on the part the way they do on some other things. But no, there are no lives lost due to the issue so they will do nothing and we have to deal with it. Then if you try to get help online there is none. Everybody makes it sound so swell, just crank it down and pull it out from under the van and your good. I have changes way too many spares to know that I am the issue here.

• Ba
      18th of Apr, 2013

Having the same issue! I was hoping someone would have also found a solution. If I figure it out I'll write again.

• Az
      3rd of Jan, 2015

Does anyone know how to put the spare tire back up? Mine won't go back up completely. Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.

• Sh
      27th of Jul, 2015

July 24, 2015 i had a similar experience my daughters birthday with several kids ... We got a flat tire in the parking lot of chicago marriott suits in deerfield il...This was a rental car... We got a flat tire on the rear driver side and same as everyone else we put the small ### jack that came with the van in the proper place and my boyfriend attempted to remove the spare and the van did fall on top of him me and my sister was holding the dam van up to keep it from crushing him to death ... Several bystanders cam to our rescue and they still couldn't get the jack to go down to put under the van to raise it back up ... I was scramming ...Everyone was yelling for help...Finally he was removed from under the van and aaa finally came and they even took 15 to 20 mins to remove the spare the dam device was rusted and stuck ...This is the worst place to put a spare ... ...I am pissed...I am going to file a law suite against chrysler for this bs ... If anyone has already filed a class action law suite please contact me at shaquanav@hotmail.Com

• Sh
      27th of Jul, 2015

this was a 2015 chrysler town and country rental van lot of chicago marriott suits in deerfield il...This was a rental car... We got a flat tire on the rear driver side and same as everyone else we put the small ### jack that came with the van in the proper place and my boyfriend attempted to remove the spare and the van did fall on top of him me and my sister was holding the dam van up to keep it from crushing him to death ... Several bystanders cam to our rescue and they still couldn't get the jack to go down to put under the van to raise it back up ... I was scramming ...Everyone was yelling for help...Finally he was removed from under the van and aaa finally came and they even took 15 to 20 mins to remove the spare the dam device was rusted and stuck ...This is the worst place to put a spare ... ...I am pissed...I am going to file a law suite against chrysler for this bs ... If anyone has already filed a class action law suite please contact me at shaquanav@hotmail.Com

• Ve
      30th of Jul, 2015

i was on the Arizona freeway with 2 small children n my town and country 2010 when my tire blew..it was hotter than hell and i couldn't find the spare..had to call 911 for help and the police officer couldn't find it either..i called dealership and same as previous complaints found it in the front between the tires OMG there is no way i was going to be able to get it on my own..this is a direct safety hazard on the part of Chrysler they need to reinvent their vehicals

• Me
      11th of May, 2017

My nephew WAS climbing under the van trying to get the spare tire out and the jack gave way, crushing him underneath. He was miraculously not killed, but still in critical condition. Has anyone found a class action suit? He will be out of work for a long time.